Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2010, 07:24 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,323,326 times

Advertisements

Lisa,

You and Mike are such a perfect pair. Y'all really do some heavy-duty work and you get along. I cannot imagine doing as much as you both do.

It's such a delight to read of your experiences and see the pics of everything coming together so well. I noticed Niki resting in one of the pics. Heck, I'd be right there with her sprawled out on the floor stacking some ZZZZs.

BTW, your neighbors will eventually find out that karma can be a b****.

Thanks for the update. I look forward to your homestead posts every Monday.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:34 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,070,953 times
Couple of comments about your wood stove set-up....

1. Looks like your tile is 18"....if so you have about 40" from wall to front of tile..., depending on stove clearances needed from wall and depth of stove - you still have to leave an 18" minimum clearance in front....

2. Why did y'all use mastic instead of thin set on the floor with several hundred pounds of wood stove on the tiles....which brings up another point, looks like vinyl goes under the tiles....I see chance for cracking tiles and grout with this setup....

3. If you run your stovepipe straight up through the roof, you will gain added heat....

Old 06-14-2010, 11:30 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,186,749 times
I made it through all the pictures Lisa. I see Miss Niki showed up for her supervisor position this week good girl.

#1~~what is that red plastic tape in a few of the ditch pictures and why is it used?

#2~~ Have y'all made a master blueprint of the house and land so when DD gets your land she will know where everything is and why?

#3~~sorry about the neighbors it takes all kinds for this world to go around some days some folks wish those types would fall off.

#4~~somebody better be telling those nosy cows there is electricity on the land now. Which can be used to hot wire fences to keep nosy things away. <get it? shock>

Hi Bones ya lost me but good to see ya!

Old 06-15-2010, 06:46 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,391,972 times
Pam& Bill- You're very welcome

Sunnydee- Yup....fences, with surveying, make good neighbors, lol.

vacation bound- Thanks for writing in.

kygman- I like when things work out

phonelady- LOL

jlrbhjmnc-I know I love contraptions like that. The first time around they put the sponge and string in the top of the pipe. Then they fit the compressor hose over it and shot it through the pipe. You can see the bucket of string next to the hose. I had to go the 318 feet to see the sponge pop out the other side. I didn't see it for the long run.

I think it's the same lizard as the one we brought back from Florida. I've never seen any type of lizards around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossvibe View Post
Once the line connects to the house, a reverse meter would allow you to sell any excess electric that your panels produce to the coop, no? Probably a huge expense though to run it all the way up.
They don't have that in TN...at least not yet. And I can't even imagine the expense to get electric up to the house

We also don't have a big enough system. I think the people who are in sell back states get huge incentives and rebates and have tremendous systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeeyow View Post
I want to see the compressor/sponge thing work too!!!!
Sure, now you want me to take video Don't ask, ok, I don't know how, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Howdy Lisa&Mike...

Yiiiiiippppppppppppeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, the pond is full & the electric is in.

Yay. We were going to put phone and cable in the ground until we found out there is no cable service here. With the new cell tower across the way we didn't feel we had to dig the extra foot down for phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
Hi
I am sorry for bringing up an old post but this is where I am so far reading. Did you try to reclaim anything as you were building? In other wordy I see you used store bought cabinets.

Yes and they were on clearance...big time. I love a good deal.

There is also something to be said, maybe even moral, to reuse things and not see them go to waste. Even if you have to do some restoring. I was just wondering and did you make a conscious decision not to do this and go all new if that is what you did?
Thanks and love reading your stuff, it is very inspiring.
When Mike and I built we were under a time restriction. We had about 4 months to build a house and move into it before the cold weather came in so we just didn't have the time to look for stuff. It's great if you can find used stuff when you need it but Mike and I never seem to come across things when we need them. We are also in an area with a very small population so there isn't much used stuff around.

We know of some people who go all over to get used wood and things to use on the building of their homes. We had one man take wood from one of our barns years ago...he is still building. Mike and I do things too fast for that.

Your friend was very lucky he found what he needed it when he needed it. BTW, we have been looking for a used wood stove for months....any ideas, lol?

We generally do new just for the speed. I will buy clothes and books used but that's because time isn't important for those things.

Maybe when we retire...for real....we will slow down enough to do some restoring of things. Slowing down is just not in our make up right now

Thank you for writing in.

Ketabcha- Mike is the best

I believe strongly in Karma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post

1. Looks like your tile is 18"....if so you have about 40" from wall to front of tile..., depending on stove clearances needed from wall and depth of stove - you still have to leave an 18" minimum clearance in front....

Yes they are 18" tiles and we have 2 full tiles and an extra 7" along the wall plus grout lines. When you say clearance in the front do you mean the space in front of the stove? We have plenty of room in front. It's a walkway. We are also looking for a very small stove. We don't want to cook ourselves...the house doesn't need much heat to keep it warm in the winter. Heck, we even turn the heat off during the night while we sleep.

2. Why did y'all use mastic instead of thin set on the floor with several hundred pounds of wood stove on the tiles....which brings up another point, looks like vinyl goes under the tiles....I see chance for cracking tiles and grout with this setup....

My mistake. Mike told me thin set and that didn't sound right to me....because sometimes we have our own names for things. He did use thin set..I just called it mastic. Now I have to go check the bucket, lol. We cut out the vinyl before installing the tiles. We left about an 1/8" strip of vinyl under the very edge of the tile. That was just so the vinyl won't curl up.

3. If you run your stovepipe straight up through the roof, you will gain added heat....
Hopefully not too much.

BTW, how's the heat by you? It's a crazy year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post

#1~~what is that red plastic tape in a few of the ditch pictures and why is it used?
It's used to warn anyone who might dig in the future that there is electric there.

#2~~ Have y'all made a master blueprint of the house and land so when DD gets your land she will know where everything is and why?
Not yet...at least for now she has lot's of pictures, lol. I still need Mike to make a "KISS" book for me on our solar setup. Thankfully the system works on it's own.

#3~~sorry about the neighbors it takes all kinds for this world to go around some days some folks wish those types would fall off.
I'm not going there, lol.

I hope I answered everyone's questions. Have a great day and thanks for writing in.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:43 AM

15,205 posts, read 12,070,953 times
Originally Posted by Bones

Yes they are 18" tiles and we have 2 full tiles and an extra 7" along the wall plus grout lines. When you say clearance in the front do you mean the space in front of the stove? We have plenty of room in front. It's a walkway. We are also looking for a very small stove. We don't want to cook ourselves...the house doesn't need much heat to keep it warm in the winter. Heck, we even turn the heat off during the night while we sleep.

My mistake. Mike told me thin set and that didn't sound right to me....because sometimes we have our own names for things. He did use thin set..I just called it mastic. Now I have to go check the bucket, lol. We cut out the vinyl before installing the tiles. We left about an 1/8" strip of vinyl under the very edge of the tile. That was just so the vinyl won't curl up.

Hopefully not too much.

BTW, how's the heat by you? It's a crazy year.

Sure doesn't look like a cement thin set.....

All wood stoves/fireplaces require 18" minumum distance in front of stove to front of your tiles ( your stove will set back at least 18") and some stoves might be away from the wall 12" or more...This is for safety reasons...
So, now we have 18" plus 12" equals 30" , then 43" minus 30" equals 13"... (which is what is left for the stove front to back - won't happen...)....You might need another 12" or so of tiles in front...

Highest we've been on the plateau here is 86, but the humidity has been very high....at least there's a breeze most of the time.....
I was going to do some more spray painting today....NOT...LOL

Your place is looking good...stay cool up there....

Old 06-15-2010, 08:22 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,636,672 times
Lisa, im glad i put the hardline phoneline in underground with the electric. My phone company (Frontier) finally got high speed internet recently, fer $24.99 per month (free installation). My previous DialUp Internet was $21.99 per month.

hahaha

For the tv we've had DirecTV satellite, ever since PrimeStar sold out.

Have a Wonderful Day...

Old 06-15-2010, 09:23 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,636,672 times
Over 21 years ago an Oregon approved woodstove company put mine in. The tile hearth is 1" thick, 48" long from the wall to front of hearth, 48" wide. The back of my woodstove is 12" from the wall.The stovepipe is 6" double walled stainless steel. With this setup the wall has never gotten HOT.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:50 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times
Lisa & Mike & Nikki - Love your story! You both have the patience and persistance that I don't think I've ever seen before - kudos!!

Can you tell what brand tile cutter you use?

Old 06-15-2010, 09:34 PM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,141,675 times
Great job getting the electric installed..

Now why don't you shine one of those high power lights on that nasty neighbor! LOL!

Garden's looking good!

Old 06-16-2010, 03:07 PM

30 posts, read 114,586 times
Lisa, THANKS for the photo showing the setup of the sponge + string + air compressor. That is too fun and cool plus it gets the job done. Can't beat it.

Too hot here on this side of the Linville Gorge - upper 90's at the house two days this week and above 90 every day. Phew! We thought we'd left that heat behind when we moved here from the coast...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee