Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2010, 10:56 AM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times

Advertisements

Howdy My Friends...

Yep, the folks that bought yer ponds should lock the gate, at least, & put up a few signs.

About four lustrums ago i put up two signs said "Beware of Mountain Lions"

Actually my mountain cats are purty friendly...
As far as i know NOone has ever bothered my basspond, uninvited.
hahaha..

Thanks folks fer the kind words about the Big Bass pic. That is a young man i know who lives to fish fer bass. He caught (catch&release) one about 8lbs, several 5-7lbs in a beautiful lake. He enters tourneys fairly often & is quite skilled.

Y'all have a Beautiful WeekEnd...

Old 06-28-2010, 06:33 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
Default Week of June 21 The Final Chapter

Hello everyone. I am sorry to say this will be my final regular chapter. It's been two years since I started this story and I just don't have enough to tell you each week. Mike and I still have s few more big projects but for the most part it will be cleaning and maintaining. I will do an update when we have a bigger project but for now I will take a break.

Please subscribe to this thread. If you do you will be notified when I or anyone else writes into this story.

I have really enjoyed sharing our adventure with you and it was wonderful to get to know so many of you.

Now for this week's story which is very short and sweet. It has been extremely hot here which has made it unbearable to be outside from about noon until 8pm. We are on the clean up round from Jimmy's crew working here. We have a mess on both sides of our driveway to clean up. There is a lot of rocky debris that was left behind from all the digging. Mike and I have to shovel all the rock and move it to a hole somewhere, rake and seed the dirt and hope for rain.

The first part to fix is on out right-of-way where the edge of our road was crushed and started to collapse from the track hoe. Mike and I had Jimmy place a huge rock and push it in to the side of the section that was crushed. Then we can use the rock as a support and fill it in with rock and dirt.

The rock on the side of the collapsed road.

We started off shoveling the rock that I left by the big hill by the barn. We put that into the bucket and Mike dropped it on top of the rock. We had about 3 loads of rocky debris from that area. We shoveled about 3 more loads of rock from the side of our driveway after we raked it. Mike added 2 loads of top soil.

Mike blades the top soil on top of the rock.

Mike rakes out the dirt on the side of the right-if-way. The rock is below.

Then Mike adds the seed.

And the straw.

Now the side of the road should hold.

The first rocky area to be done.

And after it is cleaned.

The next section we work on.

Mike uses the tractor to scrape the dirt so it's easier for us to shovel and rake.

More scraping.

After Mike scrapes the dirt, I rake the debris into piles, and then Mike and I both shovel the debris onto the bucket.

Here I am shoveling.

The next area is cleaned to the gate and ready for seed.

The left side is also cleaned and ready for seed.

After that we seeded all of it...now we just need a little rain.

We bought a dehumidifier for the house because it has been so humid. It is working well and we have no trouble running it and a couple of fans on our system. Mike did a great job on our solar system.

And lastly I'll leave you with a few pictures.

Here is our view from yesterday...all nice and green but a little dry.

My garden is doing well. The plants in the pots are doing a little wilting but hopefully they will come back when it gets a little cooler. Here are my tomatoes, cucumbers and beans.

And my yellow squash and zucchini which I have already picked and eaten.

I really hope you enjoyed taking this journey with Mike and I. It's been a lot of fun. I will touch base once in awhile to give you some updates. Have a wonderful summer and a happy and safe 4th of July.

Lisa, Mike, and Niki

Old 06-28-2010, 08:43 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,350,104 times
Aww, I'll miss the Monday morning updates. I've enjoyed reading this thread each week and seeing it all unfold.As always I wish the best for the 3 of you and hope you can enjoy the fruits of your labor soon and relax and wallow in what you've worked hard to create.
Pam

Old 06-28-2010, 08:54 AM

82 posts, read 416,447 times
A-w-w-w-w Although I knew this day would probably come, I find myself
. What an inspiration both of you have been! And your willingness to open up your life and share this experience - both the successful and the "re-dos".... I so much appreciate it. I'm looking forward to updates and pictures!

Thanks once again for the time and effort you put into this and as the previous poster stated - ENJOY the fruits of your labors!

May God bless both of you!

Old 06-28-2010, 09:38 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,021,630 times
Lisa - You will be missed Thanks for taking us all along on your adventures!

Old 06-28-2010, 11:10 AM

12,015 posts, read 11,292,857 times
You will surely be misses - all three of you! Thanks so much for such a wonderful thread that has enthralled so many of us! I will miss your posts dearly, but will keep up with you elsewhere!

Old 06-28-2010, 01:06 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,328,033 times
We still have Florida in the winter, right?

Old 06-28-2010, 06:58 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,223,919 times
Lisa enjoy yourselves! Your story has been a joy to read, thanks for letting all of us in.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:45 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
Deer Lisa, Mike, & Niki...

I'm gonna miss y'all...

take gentle care of yerselves,

Drive safely,

I'll be around,

I Love You All,

Old 06-28-2010, 10:06 PM

1 posts, read 6,059 times
Hello Lisa,

I recently found this topic and have been reading it to see what you have done.

When I found that you were running electricity, and the real reason you hadn't run it previously, was the fact that your neighbor stopped you I felt a little deceived. If you truly intend to live off the grid, and never intend to sell the property, then there is absolutely no reason to run electricity to your property.

While I found some of what you did interesting, and sometimes innovative, other things I simply shook my head at and said why did they do that. I guess in the end it all boils down to what each of us wants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee