Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2010, 09:22 PM

3,273 posts, read 2,970,670 times

Advertisements

Another great story Lisa! You guys wear me out!!!!

Old 06-20-2010, 02:40 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,403,283 times
Bones- I checked the container with the tile "thin set". It is called Adhesive for Wall and Floor Tile.

The high here one day this week got up to 90 and we are 3500 feet up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Over 21 years ago an Oregon approved wood stove company put mine in. The tile hearth is 1" thick, 48" long from the wall to front of hearth, 48" wide. The back of my wood stove is 12" from the wall.The stovepipe is 6" double walled stainless steel. With this setup the wall has never gotten HOT.

Thank you. We'll have to make any adjustments if needed once we buy the stove.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
Lisa & Mike & Nikki - Love your story! You both have the patience and persistence that I don't think I've ever seen before - kudos!!

Can you tell what brand tile cutter you use?
I'm not sure about patience, lol, but we are persistent.

The tile saw was from Lowe's and it's a "Tile Solutions 20" Cutter"

Gue- Thanks for writing in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlrbhjmnc View Post
Lisa, THANKS for the photo showing the setup of the sponge + string + air compressor. That is too fun and cool plus it gets the job done. Can't beat it.

Too hot here on this side of the Linville Gorge - upper 90's at the house two days this week and above 90 every day. Phew! We thought we'd left that heat behind when we moved here from the coast...
You're welcome....I love stuff like that...yeah I'm easily amused, lol.

Stay cool....it's a heatwave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiLover View Post
Another great story Lisa! You guys wear me out!!!!
We wear ourselves out, lol. Sometimes, like today, we just can't function very well...so we don't do anything

Old 06-20-2010, 04:22 PM

10 posts, read 50,597 times
String tied to a plastic bag and a shop vac on the other end of the conduit is another often used method.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:24 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,075,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Bones- I checked the container with the tile "thin set". It is called Adhesive for Wall and Floor Tile.
Thought it was an adhesive..... Not a good choice for the weight that will be on them.....
THINSET
Sometimes called Portland cement mortar, many companies manufacture this product. This product is used to bond dry tile directly to the backing or substrate. Basically, thin set is cement, sand, and an additional ingredient called methylcellulose.
Thinset Mortar Selection
Selecting the proper thinset mortar for your ceramic tile installation will add strength and years of life to your new flooring. Here are some tips to help you in your purchase:

•Avoid using organic mastics adhesives to install ceramic tile to floors.
•Use a gray thinset mortar if you plan to use a dark colored grout.
•Use a white thinset mortar if you plan to use a light colored grout.

On the size of your pad...here are dimensions for a Jotul 500 from a few years ago......
a MINIMUM OF 18” (457MM) IN FRONT OF THE STOVE AND THE LEFT SIDE
LOAD DOOR (MEASURED FROM THE LEGS).
aND 8” (200MM) ON THE RIGHT SIDE AND BACK OF THE STOVE (MEASURED
FROM SIDE AND BACK PANELS).
tHIS WILL RESULT IN A MINIMUM FLOOR PROTECTION OF
54.25”wide and 50.5”deep.(1378MM X 1283MM)

Old 06-20-2010, 08:02 PM

Thanks Bones for the info. Hopefully we won't have to rip up tile but if we do at least we have extra. Live and learn, right? Still have no idea what stove we will end up with.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:35 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,075,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Thanks Bones for the info. Hopefully we won't have to rip up tile but if we do at least we have extra. Live and learn, right? Still have no idea what stove we will end up with.
It might/might not crack with the weight....Just be very careful with the clearences...... Y'all might get by with an 8" or so border to the existing tile.....

Old 06-21-2010, 06:09 AM

Default Week Of June 21....Chapter 91

Hello everyone. I hope all of the Father's out there had a nice day yesterday. Talk about some crazy hot weather....whew. Thankfully our house stays very comfortable without any A/C as long as we close up the house by 11:00am or so. Ok, lets get to the story.

Last Saturday 6-12
Jimmy gave Mike and I permission to go to his pond to take some fish out for our pond. He also left his watering barrel out by his barn for us to use to transport the fish. Mike and I hook up the trailer and go over to Jimmy's property.

He is weaning his calves and while we were picking up the water barrel I got a picture of his calves.

Mike got the water barrel and strapped it onto the trailer. Then we drove down to the pond. It's time to fish. Mike gets his pole ready while I get a 5 gallon bucket of water ready to transport the fish back to the barrel. We start walking the perimeter of the pond while Mike fishes. This is a very quiet pond. Finally he catches some small fish. He caught 2 small bass and 1 bluegill. It's OK that they are small because we don't want anything big for our pond.

One of Mike's "small" catches.

We added some water to the barrel before putting any fish in. Here is Mike putting fish into the barrel.

Now that we have gone around the whole pond it's time to try the cast net and see if we can catch some more. Our cast net is 6 feet in diameter and it has weights around the edges. This is how it works. You throw the cast net onto the top of the water, it is a big circle, the weights drag it down and hopefully it is over some fish, then it gets pulled tight which closes the net, and then pulled to shore.

Mike throwing the cast net.

The net going over the top of the water.

Closing it after it sinks and pulling it back to shore.

Mike does this about 5 different times but doesn't catch any more fish. After that we bring the 3 fish home and release them into our pond.

Then we wash out the barrel and return it to Jimmy's.

Monday 6-14
Today we went onto town and while we were there we ran into Albert, the man who bought our old property. He told us the gate was unlocked and we could go over anytime to catch some fish. Since Mike and I aren't ones to waste anytime we get it set up. On or way home, Mike calls Jimmy to see if we can borrow his barrel again. We get home, get the trailer, pick up the barrel, and head over to the other property. The new owner has already made some changes. He had a brand new wood fence installed on the front of the property with a new gate....and no lock.

We used to have so many fish this old pond. We knew because Mike used to catch and release the bass and bluegill all the time. We also used to feed the catfish. We had about 50 catfish including 4 albinos and a couple of "torpedo" carp(that's what they look like).

Mike got his pole set up while I started to fill the barrel with water. It was kind of slow and the first fish Mike caught was too big for our pond so he threw it back. Here is one that is a keeper for our new pond.

He's walked and fished the whole pond and has only caught a few bass and some bluegill.

Here is, what Mike calls a yellow belly, which is like a bluegill.

Next we take out the cast net to try and catch some catfish. We brought some dry dog food to lure the catfish in. It works as a backup when you don't have catfish food, lol. We sat for quite awhile feeding the catfish. Only 20 or so showed up and the albinos are gone. It looks like somebody came in and fished the pond out. That's what happens when you leave gates unlocked and there are no "no trespassing" signs. It's sad because we had those fish in this pond for so many years.

Mike throws the cast net quite a few times and only catches some bluegill. Now it's time to get creative and try for some catfish. Mike uses some dog food that has been o the water, so it;s soft, and puts it on his hook. He throws it out and almost immediately he catches a catfish.
and she's pregnant.

The second one took much longer but Mike finally caught another catfish. Now we have a total today of 3 bass, 2 catfish, 2 yellow belly, and 7 bluegill. It's time to get these fish home. They are all in the barrel with water. Jimmy told us to add a bag of ice because when it melts it makes oxygen for the fish. We never heard of this but we give it a try since we have a 15 minute ride back home. We make it home, slide the barrel off the trailer, and pour the fish into our pond.

We made it just in time. Just as we got back to the house the skies opened up and it poured.

After a couple of hours it finally stopped raining. Mike and I clean out the barrel, which got a very good rinsing from all the rain, and return it to Jimmy's. On our way back into our property we stop and check out our pond.

The water is gushing out of the pond.

And.

And through the culvert that is under the driveway and out the other side.

And into the creek.

Unfortunately with all this heavy rain our pond is now very muddy. It will be that way until we get some grass growing on the banks.

I also spotted a deer on our side hill.

Tuesday 6-15
Wow, it is hot as heck out and very humid. Mike and I got to work early before we can't work at all. It's time to work on the next section of our ditch. This is the last of the rock that we dumped o the side. Now it has to be hand placed in the ditch.

Mike seeds the hill so we can put the curlex on.

We roll out the curlex and then I staple it down.

After a few hours we finally got all of the rock done and it is hot....but the bank and ditch look good.

Now we need to protect it from the cows so they don't destroy our work. Mike hammered in rebar at the bottom entrance to keep the cows out.

Then he put in more rebar at the top to keep the cows from coming onto the curlex. As you can see this is where they were once before.

A job well done and we are past the curve.

Time to get back in the house because it's too hot to work outside. While Mike and I put the tools away, Niki finds a nice cool spot.

Wednesday 6-16
It's a wet morning. Good thing we got the bank done yesterday. Mike started the day by hardwiring our generator into our electric panel that goes to the house. Now if we need the generator as backup power it's one simple switch.

I go up top to check on our ditch....and guess what happened? The cows destroyed our nice work.

It rained on and off most of the day. That night we had a very cool sky.

And a rainbow.

Thursday 6-17
We got a call from Jimmy. He is sending a guy over to deliver more gravel for our driveway and also some rip raft for the rest of our ditch...and you thought we were done. While we wait for Jimmy's guy to show, we load up the Jeep and the tractor and go down to do some work. After all of the tearing up when we installed the electric, we now have to put it back together. We start with the big hill and flat are that we had cleared for a turnaround. Mike starts throwing some rye seed, in hopes of it establishing quickly, while I go behind and spread the Fescue.

The big area.

After the seed is down I start a light rake to mix the seed with the soil. This way of it rains hard it won't get washed down the hill.

While I finish that, Mike goes down the the pond and seeds that area.

The poor fish. The pond is so muddy but at least we haven't seen any floating. We think they are all still alive.

I got the big hill and the flat area done....now we need just a little rain each night, lol. Yeah right.

Next Mike and I start working on the barn area.

We rake and shovel any rock and throw it on the pond wall. Then we seed it. As we get closer tot he transformer the dirt is hard as a rock. Mike uses the tractor to pull the rock away from the transformer and hopefully loosen the dirt a little.

Jimmy's guy shows up with the gravel. He dumps that and then goes back for the rip raft for our ditch. While Mike helps him navigate the dumping of the gravel I start working on another hill.

This one is a rocky mess.

Finally I get the rocks raked down and I get it seeded.

Mike puts out straw by the barn area.

Jimmy's guy shows up with the rip raft, 18 tons of it. Guess what we will be doing next week?

It's too hot now and time to go in.

Friday 6-18
Mike said he would take me out tomorrow if I cleaned the Jeep. So while he worked in his building I stripped the Jeep and cleaned it all. What a mess. I also got most of the mowing done and laundry.

Later on I gave Niki girl a bath and that's about it.

Saturday 6-19
We took a drive to the big city, lol. We went to Kingsport to visit a fellow Cd'er at her new shop. We had a very nice time meeting her and checking out her shop and her next project. We wish her the best with her store and the next project, which is massive.

We got home late so no work today.

Sunday 6-20
Mike and I were in a funk. I told you....it's all or nothing with us. Today is one of those nothing but piddle days. Mike organized the back building....again and I worked on my garden.

That's all for last week's story. I hope you all enjoyed it. Have a wonderful week and I will write again next Monday.

Lisa

Old 06-21-2010, 12:20 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,295,822 times
I see you two are just lazing around, as usual! HA!

Old 06-21-2010, 04:38 PM

30 posts, read 114,616 times
Hope your fish do well. They have plenty of room!

Even the cows can't stop your progress on the ditch . It's looking better and better.

Looks like Mike has used that cast net a few times before, maybe in FL .

Stay cool.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:50 PM

182 posts, read 780,353 times
i bet you do (love that people dont know there's a house there ) it was def. a great idea building a house under the ground . well , almost under the ground .
as for those tomatoes i mentioned back 2 wks ago . . well , just picked two today . almost ready . not quite. . harry will have to wait a day or two . but everything is doing well . . so far ..
btw .. perhaps someone that reads your blog here might know the answer to my question . i've been following Both , your and Forest Breath Cindy 'blogs. for quite some time now . .
she has another site where i've been reading religiously since she got into the new OLD 'Broken house' , well i looked again today and she hasn't posted since may 27th . . that's almost a mth and she's never gone that long without posting . wondering if anyone else has been watching her blog . .

take care L & M . . hope all is well .. how's the heat over there in the east . . ?? 95 most days here. . ugh . . as bad , if not worse than wpb fla where i used to live. . .
ttys . .(talk to ya soon) . .jeanne
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee