Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 03:32 PM

97 posts, read 383,266 times

Advertisements

I was curious about the cost of living difference between NY and TN. I keep hearing how much cheaper it is to live out there and with the beauty of your state compared to mine, I am realizing it's stupid to stay in NY much longer. We are planning a move to Amsterdam (Netherlands - not Amsterdam, NY) in November and don't much care to come back to NY afterwards. My boyfriend and I are 20 years old, he is just about to Graduate school with a degree in Television Production and I am taking a few semesters off to make money and do my travel, play outdoors thing until I go back to school with no days off for a year to get my Massage Therapy license. Has anyone made the move from my area, or NY in general, to Tennesee. If so, how do you like it? Is it too republican for my liking? I am a staunch Obama supporter - is that a HUGE no-no in TN? I don't want to go in with an ignorant point of view, either, as I don't want to offend any of my future neighbors. I just want beautiful views, a cheap way to live and great neighbors - which I hear TN has.

Also, where is a good place to start looking at? Here is what we are looking for: college students around our age to make friends with (but absolutely not a PARTY/nightlife scene. I mean, we definitely party but not with loud, obnoxious, sloppy, beligerant, a-holes), beautiful views (more than ANYTHING, we want this), a one bedroom apartment WITH a good reputation and a great view (hopefully cheaper than $700 a month - preferably around $500.00 if that's possible!) etc.

Where is a good placement for us? I was also curious about bills: how much for car insurance, health insurance, minimum wage, CIGARETTES (almost $8 a pack here!), how much for groceries/month, and answer this only if you want to - do you have good pot there? It's a stupid question to some but it's important for me to at least know it's there, good and available. Please and thank you in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 05:52 PM

9 posts, read 45,715 times
I live near Rochester NY,I bought property in North Western Tennessee a while back,and plan on building there next year.I am moving out of NY to get away from you left wing types!You have totally screwed NY ,please do not do the same thing to Tennessee!If you must move to Tennessee,Most of the Liberals live in Memphis!

Old 07-16-2008, 08:19 PM

13,354 posts, read 39,963,688 times
I think the two universities in Tennessee that are in the most beautiful areas and are not party schools are East Tennessee State U in Johnson City and Tennessee Tech U in Cookeville. Johnson City has about 62,000 and Cookeville has about 30,000. Johnson City is in a beautiful metro area of about 500,000 but because the cities are spread out, you'd never know there are so many people living there. Cookeville is in a ruggedly beautiful area called the Cumberland Plateau, about an hour east of the Nashville airport (cheapest air fares in the state by far).

I don't think you have anything to be worried about politically. East Tennessee is overwhelmingly Republican, but college towns tend to have a large concentration of liberals. Nashville is also fairly liberal (the city, not the suburbs). Memphis is by far the most liberal city in the state, but I seriously do not recommend living there if you're looking for a non-party school with beautiful scenery.

Here are some pics of the two areas so you can see how beautiful they both are. Pics were found at Google Images:

Watauga Lake (near Johnson City)

Jonesborough, Tennessee's oldest town and just a hop away from Johnson City

Downtown Johnson City

http://www.jcdevelopment.org/Photos/Main&Buffalo.jpg (broken link)

East Tennessee State University (I tried finding pics of the actual campus but this is all I could find)

Burgess Falls (just outside of Cookeville)

Looking east from Cookeville

Downtown Cookeville

Tennessee Tech University

Old 07-16-2008, 09:04 PM

1,323 posts, read 4,701,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoHereWeCome View Post
I was curious about the cost of living difference between NY and TN. I keep hearing how much cheaper it is to live out there and with the beauty of your state compared to mine, I am realizing it's stupid to stay in NY much longer. We are planning a move to Amsterdam (Netherlands - not Amsterdam, NY) in November and don't much care to come back to NY afterwards. My boyfriend and I are 20 years old, he is just about to Graduate school with a degree in Television Production and I am taking a few semesters off to make money and do my travel, play outdoors thing until I go back to school with no days off for a year to get my Massage Therapy license. Has anyone made the move from my area, or NY in general, to Tennesee. If so, how do you like it? Is it too republican for my liking? I am a staunch Obama supporter - is that a HUGE no-no in TN? I don't want to go in with an ignorant point of view, either, as I don't want to offend any of my future neighbors. I just want beautiful views, a cheap way to live and great neighbors - which I hear TN has.

Also, where is a good place to start looking at? Here is what we are looking for: college students around our age to make friends with (but absolutely not a PARTY/nightlife scene. I mean, we definitely party but not with loud, obnoxious, sloppy, beligerant, a-holes), beautiful views (more than ANYTHING, we want this), a one bedroom apartment WITH a good reputation and a great view (hopefully cheaper than $700 a month - preferably around $500.00 if that's possible!) etc.

Where is a good placement for us? I was also curious about bills: how much for car insurance, health insurance, minimum wage, CIGARETTES (almost $8 a pack here!), how much for groceries/month, and answer this only if you want to - do you have good pot there? It's a stupid question to some but it's important for me to at least know it's there, good and available. Please and thank you in advance!!
If I am understanding you correctly, you say that you are moving to Amsterdam in November. Are you now going to consider moving to Tennessee instead if you can find an area in Tennessee with a political climate to your liking and a lower cost of living? I would think that there is a huge difference between Amsterdam and any place in Tennessee. I do plan to move to Tennessee from the Sacramento, California area in about 6 years. I can't comment about the differences in cost of living between New York and Tennessee, but my research has found that the overall cost of living in Cookeville, Tennessee is about 35% lower than it is where I live now outside of Sacramento. You can do this same cost comparison online. If you need to know where to find the site that will allow you to do this, send me a private message and I will provide you with the site address. If you find you are interested in Tennessee, you definitely need to visit the state (more than once). I think you will find a lot of differences between New York and Tennessee. The people in the state of Tennessee tend to be more conservative than the people in New York. For me, that is a positive thing, but it may not be for you.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:45 PM

20,333 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoHereWeCome View Post
.... We are planning a move to Amsterdam (Netherlands - not Amsterdam, NY) in November .... Is (TN) it too republican for my liking? I am a staunch Obama supporter
If you like a strong central goverment that can't work quick enough to make more and more regulations to better manage and "take care of" it's population, most southern states would not be for you.

Try NJ, MA, VT, CA or WA. Those are more likely to be staunch Obama states to boot. MI is pretty cheap, has pretty areas and Democratic.

Moving some place because "it's cheap and pretty" doesn't always pan out when it comes to satisfying your day to day life.

By the way, why do you think your smokes are 8 bucks a pack in NY?

Old 07-17-2008, 07:09 AM

24,768 posts, read 28,523,474 times
I to original from Greece,NY. Check this place out for driving Averitt Express, Inc. :: Think Red Instead their corporate office is in Cookeville....

Old 07-17-2008, 07:12 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,349,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennessee Or Bust View Post
I live near Rochester NY,I bought property in North Western Tennessee a while back,and plan on building there next year.I am moving out of NY to get away from you left wing types!You have totally screwed NY ,please do not do the same thing to Tennessee!If you must move to Tennessee,Most of the Liberals live in Memphis!
I hope you don't take this guy to heart. After all, he doesn't even live here yet and he's already trying to control what happens...guess he missed the memo about the general philosphy (sp?) of life here in Tn. "Live and let live" He can move anywhere in the US and he will still have to deal with left wing types.

I'm from Germantown, NY which is located in Southern Columbia County along the Hudson river. Now that is an extremely beautiful part of the state which in my opinion is rivaled by the sheer beauty of East Tennessee. Every where you look around here are beautiful views.
As for political climate, I can't answer that. I tend to keep my religous and political views to myself. Those are 2 topics that I try not to bring up in polite conversation.
As for the availability of Pot, can't say as that isn't something I've actually actively sought.
It is best to visit more then once or twice to get the vibe of an area. Tn. is a big state just like NY is.
Smokes are cheaper. They are $4 something a pack, about $37.00 a carton.
Cost of living is cheaper but you do pay in other ways. Can't answer you on the cheaper rents. Visit first before you make the move.
All the best,
Pam

Old 07-17-2008, 07:36 AM

9 posts, read 45,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam& Bill View Post
I hope you don't take this guy to heart. After all, he doesn't even live here yet and he's already trying to control what happens...guess he missed the memo about the general philosphy (sp?) of life here in Tn. "Live and let live" He can move anywhere in the US and he will still have to deal with left wing types.

I'm from Germantown, NY which is located in Southern Columbia County along the Hudson river. Now that is an extremely beautiful part of the state which in my opinion is rivaled by the sheer beauty of East Tennessee. Every where you look around here are beautiful views.
As for political climate, I can't answer that. I tend to keep my religous and political views to myself. Those are 2 topics that I try not to bring up in polite conversation.
As for the availability of Pot, can't say as that isn't something I've actually actively sought.
It is best to visit more then once or twice to get the vibe of an area. Tn. is a big state just like NY is.
Smokes are cheaper. They are $4 something a pack, about $37.00 a carton.
Cost of living is cheaper but you do pay in other ways. Can't answer you on the cheaper rents. Visit first before you make the move.
All the best,
Pam
Its the conservative values that make Tennessee the wonderful state that it is!When you lose that ,its all over!

Old 07-17-2008, 07:42 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
depends on you and what type of coverage. Check with some ins. agents. minimum wage is something like 5.85 im not exactly sure. Cigs about $4 a pk. I think, I quit when they were $1.25. These things are probably cheaper here, but salaries are too. Keep that in mind. Pot, like everywhere else, good and bad, depends on where you get it and how much you want to pay.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:31 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,349,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennessee Or Bust View Post
Its the conservative values that make Tennessee the wonderful state that it is!When you lose that ,its all over!
Tennessee is a wonderful state for many other reasons. Sounds like you are hoping Tn. stays the way it is because it reminds you of how most of upstate NY used to be?( and I'm including the western region of NY in my broad upstate NY comment)
Change happens and it can't be stopped. Don't you think with the amount of transplants arriving in Tn. for whatever their reasons, that there isn't going to be some effect on the face of the state? I'm sure sometime in the not so distant past, transplants and especially Yankees were not always welcomed with open arms. But transplants and Yankees are welcomed here as long as one acclimates themselves to the area and not try to change it to what one left.
By you commenting on someones left wing politics and telling them to go to Memphis, you are planting yourself squarely in the realm of what you are attempting to leave, and bringing that mentality here.
One of the nice aspects of Tn. is that there isn't the "Them vs. Us" mentality that NY state has between the upstate region and the city. There isn't an invisible line that divides this state as there is in NY.
Pam
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee