Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 06:46 AM

105 posts, read 521,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Thanks for that encouragement, we are not in the denomination either even though I do admire the churches in Atlanta that I was familiar with in the Church of God.

Just had a good chat with my son, glad to report he is doing well. The first three weekends he headed to Atlanta to be with friends, but the last two weekends he has remained on campus and participated in events there. Sounds like he has found a little lady that has his interests as well. Glad to hear he is adjusting.

He mentioned his favorite class is Gateway. It is taught by the dean of the school of arts and sciences. Sounds like an extended freshman orientation. Do you have any insight on what exactly Gateway is?

All of you who have given feedback from your experience there, thank you so much. It is helping with the sadness of seeing the first off from home, especially being so far away.
If my memory serves me correctly from my daughter's freshman year, I think Gateway is their orientation course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 07:11 AM

1,683 posts, read 8,212,862 times
Gateway is an orientation course designed for first year college students. It's outstanding, I wish they had it when DH and I were there.

I hear you about the little lady! DH and I met at Lee during our orientation. We dated throughout our 4 years there and were married our senior year.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:53 AM

70 posts, read 299,040 times
Lee University is a good place to have a child launch out on his/her own for the first time. My wife and I have lived in the vicinity of Lee U for over 20 years. We know several professors on the faculty as well as some 'regular' folks employed by Lee U. They are good people and we know from them that the Lee U environment is good for kids out on their own for the first time. That's not to say kids can't get into trouble if they want to but that's a different story.

Cleveland (where Lee U is located) is also a pretty good place as small towns go. There are of course, places to stay away from, but few and far between when compared to many college towns. We also have met several young Russian students who have decided to attend Lee U and they love it! Of all the places they might have gone, they chose Lee U - that says something right there.

Lee U is the seminary for the Church of God (also headquarterd in Cleveland) and there are certain elements of the code of ethics for Lee U which reflect this but they are definitely not overwhelming. If anything, I would suggest that makes Lee U a better place to be rather than some of the totally loose schools one can find in other parts of the country. Also, the Church of God does not handle snakes...

Hope this helps!

Old 09-19-2008, 06:36 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,863,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botts View Post
Lee University is a good place to have a child launch out on his/her own for the first time. My wife and I have lived in the vicinity of Lee U for over 20 years. We know several professors on the faculty as well as some 'regular' folks employed by Lee U. They are good people and we know from them that the Lee U environment is good for kids out on their own for the first time. That's not to say kids can't get into trouble if they want to but that's a different story.

Cleveland (where Lee U is located) is also a pretty good place as small towns go. There are of course, places to stay away from, but few and far between when compared to many college towns. We also have met several young Russian students who have decided to attend Lee U and they love it! Of all the places they might have gone, they chose Lee U - that says something right there.

Lee U is the seminary for the Church of God (also headquarterd in Cleveland) and there are certain elements of the code of ethics for Lee U which reflect this but they are definitely not overwhelming. If anything, I would suggest that makes Lee U a better place to be rather than some of the totally loose schools one can find in other parts of the country. Also, the Church of God does not handle snakes...

Hope this helps!
Thank you, it does help! The thing that has impressed me about Lee has been its commitment to academic integrity mixed with the zeal and fervor for a truly Christian environment that you usually only find in a non academic bible school. Most of the denominational schools have let go of much of their Christian identity to gain "reputation" in the world of Academia. Lee seems to be one of the few schools that hasn't compromised in this area.

I really appreciate all of the wonderful responses, it really has helped confirm that we made the right choice.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:39 PM

2 posts, read 4,446 times
Well-- this is an old thread (so probably no one will read this), but i do want to say that the COG of Cleveland, TN did at one time practice snake handling. In fact, snake handling began at North Cleveland Church of God. I know this because when I was a student at Lee, I worked in the Church Archives (in the pentecostal research center) and we had a whole section on that wackiness. With that said, I loved my time at Lee (and I'm a presbyterian).

Old 02-16-2009, 03:46 PM

630 posts, read 2,432,565 times
Ummmmmmm, not at my church they don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H10 View Post
Wait, Church of God? Don't they use snakes in their worship?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee