Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 05:44 PM

8 posts, read 22,778 times

Advertisements

LOL!!! You're right, your definition of small, affordable, close to healthcare and so on, probably differs from mine. Since we won't be living there the whole year round (unless I fall totally in love with the area and can't bear to leave), I'm looking for something around 1,200 sq. ft. that's not falling down, around 100k in price and no more than 20 - 45 minutes from a good healthcare facility (not that I plan to collapse as soon as I get there). I've been looking on a real estate site and I was happily surprised to see so many darling homes with the most breathtaking mountain views in TN. Wow, those folks really know how to live!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 06:10 PM

50 posts, read 139,925 times
Here's a website that allows you to enter two specific cities and see how they compare from a cost of living standpoint. It also shows you how they stack up compared to the national average. Hope it helps. Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Of course my biased input would be the Tri-Cities area of TN. We've had a huge amount of folks from all over the country relocate here and more looking to as soon as they can. I'm certain other areas could boast the same.

Good Luck to you!

Last edited by Yac; 04-06-2009 at 07:12 AM..

Old 02-26-2009, 06:23 PM

50 posts, read 139,925 times
Here's another website that might be of benefit to you Retire Tennessee

Old 02-26-2009, 06:27 PM

Great website, Native. Thank you so much. Any information you might provide on the Northeastern section of the state would be most welcome. The proximity to the mountains and all the bodies of water sounds sooo good! Thank you again. Karen

Old 02-26-2009, 06:33 PM

Love, love, love the Retire Tennessee website. I've already bookmarked it and am calling my husband to the computer to ogle it with me. You are a wonderful help, Native, and if you are an example of the citizens of your state, I'm gonna start packing my things tomorrow.

Old 02-26-2009, 10:14 PM

13,354 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenklambert View Post
Love, love, love the Retire Tennessee website. I've already bookmarked it and am calling my husband to the computer to ogle it with me. You are a wonderful help, Native, and if you are an example of the citizens of your state, I'm gonna start packing my things tomorrow.
Welcome to Tennessee!

That web site really is great. The 9 communities it spotlights are communities that seem to be particularly attractive to retirees for various reasons.

And I agree, the Tri Cities area of NE TN is gorgeous.

The two communities on the Cumberland Plateau are Cookeville and Crossville. Crossville is probably the most popular retirement spot in the state. It got a head start back in the 1970s when Fairfield Glade opened and attracted thousands of retired golf lovers from all over the place.

The Cumberland Plateau doesn't have huge mountains, but it does have rugged hills, deep gorges, waterfalls, and lakes. But perhaps its biggest advantage--to some people--is that Cookeville is only an hour from Nashville which has, by far, Tennessee's cheapest air fares. If you ever want to fly back to Michigan, it'll cost you half as much out of Nashville as it does out of the Tri Cities (NE TN) or Knoxville or Chattanooga. Nashville is a hub for Southwest Airlines which doesn't fly to anywhere else in the state, unfortunately.

Here are some pics of the Cumberland Plateau:

Old 02-26-2009, 10:50 PM

JMT -- Those photos took my breath away! I'm guessing that the waterfalls are the Cumberland Falls. My parents took me there when I was 3 or 4. I have a very vague memory of seeing them; my most vivid memory is of my father telling me about a little boy and girl who fell in because they got too close -- his way of making sure I kept my distance. I remember the beauty and I remember the Smoky Mountains. Please accept my sincere thanks for posting those fantastic pics. Karen

Old 02-27-2009, 06:01 AM

13,354 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenklambert View Post
JMT -- Those photos took my breath away! I'm guessing that the waterfalls are the Cumberland Falls. My parents took me there when I was 3 or 4. I have a very vague memory of seeing them; my most vivid memory is of my father telling me about a little boy and girl who fell in because they got too close -- his way of making sure I kept my distance. I remember the beauty and I remember the Smoky Mountains. Please accept my sincere thanks for posting those fantastic pics. Karen
Oops, I should've labeled the falls. Sorry!

The first one is Burgess Falls, located a couple of miles outside of Cookeville.

The next one is Fall Creek Falls, the tallest waterfall east of the Rockies.

The last one is Cane Creek Falls which is in the same state park as Fall Creek Falls (Fall Creek Falls State Park, located between Cookeville and Chattanooga).

Old 02-28-2009, 11:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,829 times
I'm a lifelong Tennessean, my wife came from northern Ky., she has relatives in eastern Ky. Tn. has more tourism also more new residents from up North. I think our economy is a little better. Ky. has more of a northern flavor; Tn. is more southern. Ky. bluegrass country is nice; but eastern Ky. is very poor and secluded. Their economy is totally dependent on coal mining, which is either up or DOWN. This area is remote, dirty and kind of gritty.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:45 PM

2 posts, read 4,323 times
Well after looking at TN and KY we have decided to move to Cumberland County, TN. About four years ago we moved to Florida from the north,---big----big-----big mistake. Florida seems to be totally full of cranky old folks who are determined to act like two year olds. The Florida government seems to be more corrupt than any state in the nation.
Looked all over Tennessee and settled on the Cumberland Lakes/Cumberland Cove communities. Love the natives, cost of living, the air, and the relaxed lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee