Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 02:10 PM

4 posts, read 8,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybob63 View Post
Like I said in my previous post, my wife and I bought property in the Baileyton area in hopes of relocating there when I retire in a few years. My question is will my wife, who is from Thailand and is a Buddhist (though not an active one) experience prejudice in the area? I know the religious feelings in the area are strong. I am a Catholic and the issue of religion has never been of significance to us at all. If we have any children, they will be raised either as Catholic or another Christian religion more popular in Tennessee.

Just wanted some thoughts on this. Thanks.
I was raised Bapist. Married Catholic. We are now nondemonational & go to church w/ whites, blacks, mixed, and I enjoy this church (Real Life Community Church in Smithville/DeKalb County, TN) for the 1st time in 22 years. Again check us out.

Last edited by Bostenn; 04-29-2007 at 02:10 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2007, 05:46 PM

8 posts, read 21,934 times
Default Attention Floridian Transplants

Hello.
My husband and I live in Florida. He is a native, I am originally from the sticks of New York. We have watched Florida grow over the last 24 years we have been married. We no longer like it. We are trying to find a way to escape and move to Tennessee. We want to get away from the population, the rude people and the dangerous traffic. We live right on a main highway and it takes us 15 minutes to get out of our driveway. When we first bought our property 10 years ago it was country all around us. We now have a Super Wal-mart, Racetrac, 7-11, multiple hotels, cracker barrel and more to come just 2 miles or less from our home. Too much for us. The population in Desoto County has tripled since Hurricane Charlie 2004. We want to find the smallest , most laid back, easy going town we can find in Tennessee. It is ok if we have to drive 30 miles to go shopping, etc. As long as we can get our sanity back. We are only waiting for the real estate to pick up so we can sell out. The only way I ever would want to see Florida again is in my rear view mirror.
As far as raising kids, we have done two. It is not easy. Society has a stronger hold on them than we can influence them. If we could do it all over again, we would have raised them in the country away from modern society to have them appreciate the simple things of life. Not expect a silver spoon. Neither of us were raised like that, We didn't expect our kids to be raised like that either.
God bless to you and yours.
Chris & Danny

Old 05-05-2007, 06:20 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativegirl64 View Post
Hello.
My husband and I live in Florida. He is a native, I am originally from the sticks of New York. We have watched Florida grow over the last 24 years we have been married. We no longer like it. We are trying to find a way to escape and move to Tennessee. We want to get away from the population, the rude people and the dangerous traffic. We live right on a main highway and it takes us 15 minutes to get out of our driveway. When we first bought our property 10 years ago it was country all around us. We now have a Super Wal-mart, Racetrac, 7-11, multiple hotels, cracker barrel and more to come just 2 miles or less from our home. Too much for us. The population in Desoto County has tripled since Hurricane Charlie 2004. We want to find the smallest , most laid back, easy going town we can find in Tennessee. It is ok if we have to drive 30 miles to go shopping, etc. As long as we can get our sanity back. We are only waiting for the real estate to pick up so we can sell out. The only way I ever would want to see Florida again is in my rear view mirror.
As far as raising kids, we have done two. It is not easy. Society has a stronger hold on them than we can influence them. If we could do it all over again, we would have raised them in the country away from modern society to have them appreciate the simple things of life. Not expect a silver spoon. Neither of us were raised like that, We didn't expect our kids to be raised like that either.
God bless to you and yours.
Chris & Danny
GREAT POST.

You are moving out of Florida for the exact same reasons that moved. We were in Fort Myers during Charley.

We have a seven-year-old, and we moved in 2005, and the number one reason was to get her out of God-forsaken Florida.

Congratulations for not wanting a Walmart close by. If one more person asks for that I am going to scream! (I know, y'all can't hear me, anyway! )

Are you looking for jobs? That may determine where you want to live. If not, there are tons of great towns in Tennessee.

Old 05-06-2007, 08:44 AM

2,227 posts, read 8,211,940 times
i guess posts with a little truth and perspective get deleted if it isnt what ppl want to hear. ppl in tn can bash fla, but when a floridian puts it into perspective and tries to show there's 2 sides to every coin, it get's deleted. but someone can say they are getting "their kids out of god-forsaken florida" and it stays? so generalizing an entire state based on one's own experiences are ok?

Old 05-06-2007, 09:29 AM

1,775 posts, read 8,096,716 times
Maybe that's why all we read about is the good things in TN because the negative things get deleted. I've had some of my posts deleted too simpley related to negative newspaper stories i read in TN and were asking questions about. People tell me it's a bad spot where i bought my property yet after several visits and my own research, I didn't buy in the "bad" part of the county yet the whole county as you said is being generalized as being "bad" place to live. oh and lets not forget the negative reputation marks you get too.

Old 05-06-2007, 09:31 AM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,803,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellefort View Post
Maybe that's why all we read about is the good things in TN because the negative things get deleted. I've had some of my posts deleted too simpley related to negative newspaper stories i read in TN and were asking questions about. People tell me it's a bad spot where i bought my property yet after several visits and my own research, I didn't buy in the "bad" part of the county yet the whole county as you said is being generalized as being "bad" place to live.
That's a shame, because information is being missed by all - both good and bad. You need balanced information to make an informed decision. Boy - there'd be NO posts in alot of state forums if you could only make 'good' posts!

Danielle, what county do you live in, and what parts are 'good' what parts are 'bad'?

blessings, Shen

Old 05-06-2007, 10:11 AM

5 posts, read 15,263 times
I am in the construction industry around Tampa Bay and 2 years ago things looked pretty good so I went into business for myself only to watch the bottom fall out of the building market. Now I am looking all over the U.S. for a construction managment job and a place to relocate to with my wife and 10 year old daughter. I agree with the most of the other post about what is wrong with Florida however I must move just so everything is not lost.
Tenneessee, Wyoming and Montana look like strong possiblities.
By the way I have lived in Florida all my life, never seen snow and been in the same house for 24 years. What Happened?????

Old 05-06-2007, 10:38 AM

1,775 posts, read 8,096,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenandoah View Post
That's a shame, because information is being missed by all - both good and bad. You need balanced information to make an informed decision. Boy - there'd be NO posts in alot of state forums if you could only make 'good' posts!

Danielle, what county do you live in, and what parts are 'good' what parts are 'bad'?

blessings, Shen

Well i still live in FL but i just bought 8+ acres in Cocke county just north 5 miles out of Newport. Yes i read a lot of the "bad" history in that county but as we traveled throughout and spoke to many people who live there, they seemed quite happy and safe, it was down in south of the county near Cosby and Del Rio area that seems to be the bad areas to live as it was very rural out there with absolutely nothing for miles. We wanted to be close enough to the stores for groceries and things and found this new undeveloped subdivision just 5 miles out of town.

On the other hand, i just got a P.M. from someone in the FL forum who told me to quit telling people about the town i live in here in FL. I was simply answering someones question about the county i live in that they are considering movig to and was just trying to be honest to them about how nice a little town it is. I guess you can't win either way. Talk good and you get P.M. not to talk about the town and talk bad and it gets deleted.

Old 05-07-2007, 05:50 PM

200 posts, read 683,675 times
Default Tri-cities Info?

We, too, are wanting to leave FL - we live in one of the fastest growing counties not only in FL but in the NATION - we have been listed the last 2 years in the newspaper: USA TODAY as such (FLAGLER COUNTY - just south of Jacksonville and north of Daytona) We were unincorporated and became a city as of 2000. TERRIBLE DECISION! We had a neat little town - all county but now we have council "people" everywhere - you ought to see the fancy-schmancy golf carts WE AS TAXPAYERS bought to have the folks pick up trash along our streets I think we have at least 8! Don't get me started!!! My heavens we grew so fast - Now get this.....as of this year we are STILL LISTED IN THE USA TODAY but are no longer the fastest growing county but listed as one of the highest (#3) counties with UNEMPLOYMENT! GESH!! What a mess. Florida is no longer the paradise we once had 17+ years ago. Our business was great - now it barely squeeks by. So sad. So we, too, are looking for a little slower pace - friendly people once again (like we used to have - AND we still are BTW! ....<grin>) This thread was beneficial to read. Thank you to you all.
I thought perhaps it was just ME who was not liking FL any longer...but as I read these postings I am shocked I am reading my own thoughts. Sounds like the TRI-CITIES is a good area. Any comments about that territory? What is the difference between all of the cities up there? We are not suburbia folks (90% of FL, so it seems, is one big SUBURB!)-we enjoy "country" yet want to know our neighbors....is that possible still is USA? Thanks for any help on this!!!!!

Old 05-15-2007, 06:32 PM

7 posts, read 14,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen1972 View Post
Just curious to see 1) how many people on here are living in Florida and are relocating to Tennessee OR are now living in Tennessee and have lived in Florida 2)Why are you moving or did you move from Florida?

Relocating from Florida: Hoping our money will go furthur, 4 seasons, no hurricanes, nicer people, less traffic and hoping it will stay that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee