Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 07:08 PM

458 posts, read 1,271,907 times

Advertisements

Too many. This is like Florida is for NY'ers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2007, 03:02 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Not all of Florida is full of New Yorkers. In Fort Myers, where I lived, it was mostly mid-westerners.

Old 02-24-2007, 03:21 AM

4 posts, read 31,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrockmoore View Post
Another Michigander transplant!! My husband and I lived in Flint (myself 52 years) and there were NO jobs! We decided to move to Maryville TN in 2002 and will never go back. The jobs are there if you want them... start with any placement agency for a contract position and you will definitely be working. One of the things we've really appreciated since moving here are the different attitudes. People here are so friendly whereas in MI people seemed so angry and hostile. It's wonderful to drive down any road and have people wave at you instead of flipping you off. In MI road rage was an everyday thing. We haven't experienced it here... yet. Of course the weather is fantastic. We don't miss the bitter cold and heavy snow of Michigan. Having only two months of true winter here instead of the 5 in MI is worth moving for in itself! The reasons to move here far outweigh the reasons to stay in Michigan!
Very Well Said! And So Very True!lol
Born and raised 33yrs in Flint,Mi. Moved to Crossville 5yrs ago and Just Luv It!
I never even considered living outside of Mi till after my divorce. Then somehow I ended up in Crossville,Tn. Never had heard of it before. And land here for a new start in life.
It was ment to be I guess!? Cause I wont go back fer nothing!
Quick visit now n then, play a day in the snow and hit the BigJohn's Steak n Onion on the way out that night! Ohhh! Yaa! lol
But it is a very good place to start over! There are good paying jobs around, if you really want 'em. Purdue chicken,Lazyboy, Orreck, Flowers Bakery, are just to name a few. And I come to learn that they like hiring folks from the North. And South apparently also! lol
I have came across so many here from other states that say they really dont know what brought them to Tn. As with myself.
But just seem to click with the atmosphere and made it Home!
Some places here in Tn (e.Jamestown) seem like a step back in time. And its awesome to see their real hometown spirit! People are just easier paced and trusting. Like they dont sweat the small stuff!
But now over in FFG?
Thats a different story, about 50 miles away. EVERYONE who lives in that area came from outta state. And its well known for Michiganders.
But they have given themselves a bad name out there. Well? Not really Bad? Its actually an upperclass area. But thats just it? They are known for thinking they are Special. And expect special treatment aswell!
Now this was just a rumar, but heard it more than once, that the FFG residents wanted there own checkout ailses at the local Walmart!
They already have their own community shopping plaza and private golf courses. Which you have to be a member to shop at! Even the beach area has to have a community pass.
So to the locals they're considered a bit..snooty!
But outside of the inplants most folks are very helpfull.
Kindness just seems to be in their nature!
Crossvilles a good place to start-or startover. It really ends up being what you make it, though.

Old 02-24-2007, 03:24 AM

4 posts, read 31,033 times
And Hey?!
Where's all these single men from Tn, I keep reading about here? lol

Old 02-24-2007, 05:02 PM

3 posts, read 9,012 times
Checking in ... I was the first generation on both sides of the family to be born and raised outside of TN - in MI, Detroit suburbs.

Due to the effect the economy had on our business, we located to Cookeville 6 months ago. In anticipation of 'coming home', we encouraged our children to check out colleges in TN while they were still in high school. Daughter is at Vanderbilt and Son is at TTU.

Wish we had moved sooner!

Old 02-24-2007, 08:35 PM

60 posts, read 344,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaDream View Post
Very Well Said! And So Very True!lol
Born and raised 33yrs in Flint,Mi. Moved to Crossville 5yrs ago and Just Luv It!
I never even considered living outside of Mi till after my divorce. Then somehow I ended up in Crossville,Tn. Never had heard of it before. And land here for a new start in life.
It was ment to be I guess!? Cause I wont go back fer nothing!
Quick visit now n then, play a day in the snow and hit the BigJohn's Steak n Onion on the way out that night! Ohhh! Yaa! lol
But it is a very good place to start over! There are good paying jobs around, if you really want 'em. Purdue chicken,Lazyboy, Orreck, Flowers Bakery, are just to name a few. And I come to learn that they like hiring folks from the North. And South apparently also! lol
I have came across so many here from other states that say they really dont know what brought them to Tn. As with myself.
But just seem to click with the atmosphere and made it Home!
Some places here in Tn (e.Jamestown) seem like a step back in time. And its awesome to see their real hometown spirit! People are just easier paced and trusting. Like they dont sweat the small stuff!
But now over in FFG?
Thats a different story, about 50 miles away. EVERYONE who lives in that area came from outta state. And its well known for Michiganders.
But they have given themselves a bad name out there. Well? Not really Bad? Its actually an upperclass area. But thats just it? They are known for thinking they are Special. And expect special treatment aswell!
Now this was just a rumar, but heard it more than once, that the FFG residents wanted there own checkout ailses at the local Walmart!
They already have their own community shopping plaza and private golf courses. Which you have to be a member to shop at! Even the beach area has to have a community pass.
Kindness just seems to be in their nature!
Crossvilles a good place to start-or startover. It really ends up being what you make it, though.
What is FFG?

Old 02-25-2007, 01:52 AM

Fairfield Glade.

Old 02-25-2007, 08:18 AM

13,353 posts, read 39,959,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillla View Post
Checking in ... I was the first generation on both sides of the family to be born and raised outside of TN - in MI, Detroit suburbs.

Due to the effect the economy had on our business, we located to Cookeville 6 months ago. In anticipation of 'coming home', we encouraged our children to check out colleges in TN while they were still in high school. Daughter is at Vanderbilt and Son is at TTU.

Wish we had moved sooner!
Welcome to Tennessee! I'm glad you're enjoying the Cookeville area. I have several friends who teach at TTU, and I would move there in a heartbeat if I could teach at TTU what I teach here at U.T. TTU is definitely not a party school (although there's certainly that element) compared to MTSU or U.T.

Old 02-25-2007, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaDream View Post

But now over in FFG?
I hate to say this, but Fort Myers, FL was full of these folks. I would rather die than have to live among them, again. Sounds over-the-top, but true.

They were self-centered but also extremely rude and mean.

What could make an entire demographic behave this way? Does anyone have any insight? I would dearly love to know.

We are all extras in their movie.

Old 02-26-2007, 06:59 PM

6 posts, read 12,871 times
Red face new start in life

Quote:
Originally Posted by RopeS View Post
I live in Ypsi right now. I am planning on moving to mid TN in a few months though. So, I will fit in the catagory shortly. Are you glad you made the decision to move to TN? All I really want before I move is a job, but I may make the leap anyway, as I'm only 23yrs old and not tied down.
Just wondering, why would you make such a big decision in life at such a young age?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee