Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 01:17 PM

119 posts, read 384,298 times

Advertisements

I have an interview at a company in West Knoxville on Friday. It doesn't look like the "commute" from Oak Ridge would be very far and a pretty straight shot. Does anyone commute between these two areas, or has driven them? I can't always tell from a map really how a commute would be. THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2007, 02:19 PM

27 posts, read 116,631 times
From what I remember, There's really only one way from Oak Ridge to West Knox.
Pellissippi to I-40.

It's not that bad of a commute. It depends in what time of day you're travelling.
But compared to California traffic, Knoxville traffic is a breeze.

Now Oak Ridge to Karns, I remember that was a horrible trip at 5pm

Old 03-19-2007, 04:57 PM

661 posts, read 2,895,805 times
I'm not sure where in West Knoxville you're going, but I do that drive a lot and never get on I-40. It's a very easy, very scenic route and I really enjoy it. I take Melton Lake Rd. to Edgemoor to the Pellissippi Parkway, which is a really nice, no-stress little highway. Then you can either get off onto Kingston Pike or Lovell Rd.

Piece of cake!

Old 03-20-2007, 06:04 AM

37,795 posts, read 40,994,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkey View Post
I'm not sure where in West Knoxville you're going, but I do that drive a lot and never get on I-40. It's a very easy, very scenic route and I really enjoy it. I take Melton Lake Rd. to Edgemoor to the Pellissippi Parkway, which is a really nice, no-stress little highway. Then you can either get off onto Kingston Pike or Lovell Rd.

Piece of cake!
Do they still call south of 40, West Knoxville? Is the mall that is off of Kingston Pike considered to be West Knoxville? I was in West Knoxville but I was in the neighborhoods that are North of I-40

I went to West Knoxville and got off Pellissippi on Hardin Valley Rd to go to West Knoxville. Another time I got off Pellissippi on Dutchtown RD. Another time I got off Pellissipi on Oak Ridge Hwy and got lost. But all 3 roads go through West Knoxville from Pellissipi and you don't have to get on I-40.

jmarkey, if you are reading this, when you go down Pellissippi from Oak Ridge, right before you get to 40, Pellisssipi splits. One overhead sign off to the left, I think, says "Maryville." If you take that exit, what road (number) are you on?

Old 03-20-2007, 07:03 AM

If I'm right about the area you're talking about, Pellissippi turns from 162 to 140.

Old 03-20-2007, 07:07 AM

I think West Knoxville is the Farragut, Turkey Creek area. The area out by the mall is West Town.

Laura, your apartment building is looking really nice. When's your move?

Old 03-20-2007, 08:43 PM

37,795 posts, read 40,994,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkey View Post
I think West Knoxville is the Farragut, Turkey Creek area. The area out by the mall is West Town.

Laura, your apartment building is looking really nice. When's your move?
This past weekend I was told that my particular building (you can't see it from the road) would be ready by May. I'm totally psyched. I retire next week but all I'm thinking about is moving. I got my birth certificate about two week's ago (the old one was carved on a cave wall ) and yesterday I got my passport...not that you, er, actually need one to enter Tennessee but with the retirement and the loss of my badge, I felt I would need another form of photo ID to get "stuff" in a new state. Besides, you never know when Tennessee is going to put up a wall.

I actually hate the act of moving...I just want to be there. How does the place look from the outside? Have they landscaped yet? Are the coyotes circling?

I'll PM you (and Heidi) when I have a definite move date. I'm not taking much with me.

Old 03-20-2007, 09:52 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,943,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I got my birth certificate about two week's ago (the old one was carved on a cave wall ) and yesterday I got my passport...not that you, er, actually need one to enter Tennessee but with the retirement and the loss of my badge, I felt I would need another form of photo ID to get "stuff" in a new state. Besides, you never know when Tennessee is going to put up a wall.

I actually hate the act of moving...I just want to be there. How does the place look from the outside? Have they landscaped yet? Are the coyotes circling?
I love it! Needing a passport to get into Tennessee! Some people would probably also say you need to get immunizations, too. (But that's really more for going into Florida...)

Good luck on your move! You're right, moving is a real drag. However, unpacking in your new home will be soooo much fun; it'll be like Christmas!

Does Big Ed's deliver? Until you get your kitchen set up, I hope you'll get to know Big Ed's Pizza.

Old 03-21-2007, 11:26 AM

Hi Laura,

The landscaping is still a work in progress, but the entryways for the buildings closest to Lafayette look just about done.

No coyotes around, though they do have a welcoming committee. They usually drop by the public pier on foggy, foggy mornings.

Just kidding. Nice complex!

Old 03-21-2007, 11:47 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,314,459 times
Congrats LauraC! I am happy for you. Yes, moving can be stressful, but remember to breath and keep the prize in sight! Just think, soon you will be able to fish off the pier when ever you want.
Good luck and be safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee