Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 11:44 AM

22 posts, read 41,192 times

Advertisements

I understand that this isn't the first time you've heard this question, but here goes:

So I am 18 years old and I'm about to graduate high school. I'm a pretty conservative Christian. I love fishing, hunting, racing, country music, and pretty much everything else like that. Except, I'm from California and I obviously don't talk like you do there. So how would this turn out? Would I be excluded from society or anything?

I am just so tired of the fast-paced lifestyle of Sacramento, and the overwhelming liberal influence. California seems like it's going down fast, and I don't want to be on that ship when it sinks.

And also, could someone let me know what are some nice smaller towns in middle or eastern Tennessee. I would love to live in a town thats definately not flat. Hopefully somewhere where I could do some hunting and fishing, maybe some racing.

I'm going to be taking a trip here in a few months, but I would love a starting point. So anything helps.

Thanks a lot guys. I really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 01:40 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
I guess as long as you speak english, spanish, hindi, or german you would not be an outcast of society.

What are your intentions after graduation. Continuing your education, employment? What do you consider smaller town?

Old 01-14-2010, 06:28 PM

179 posts, read 453,219 times
I am a former Californian - I went to Highlands High School (not too far from you) for 9th grade and then we moved to TN. Most of the kids thought it was cool that I talked like a Valley Girl, but honestly, within a few months I sounded like they did . The way that you describe yourself, you will fit in just fine here. Especially if you choose a college town where there are alot of people that come in from other parts of the world.

Answering 2mares questions will help give us some more info so we can point you in the right direction, but I live in Cookeville and think it's a great town. We have Tennessee Tech, so we have alot of younger people, but the town itself is moderately sized. There are alot of great churches here no matter your denomination, and alot of youth oriented ministries that you could get plugged in with -- Chi Alpha, FCA, InterVarsity, Young Life, and tons of other campus ministries. Even if you don't want to go to college, you can still be involved.

Jefferson City might also be a good choice - Carson Newman is there. Or Cleveland, TN where Lee College is. I don't anything about those two towns, but those are both smaller Christian schools.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:00 PM

Well i was accepted to University of Tennessee, but I cant really afford it. So i think my best bet would be to start at a tech school, or a community college if there is such a thing. Im not really interested in living in a college town, but also not a retired community. I would also love to get a job to work through school, but i know thats not easy to find right now. Im not picky about what kind of job i get, but i wouldnt mind doing some manual labor. i wouldnt mind driving less than 30 minutes to work or go to school if there was a nice town nearby. So i hope im not being too specific.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:08 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,196,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyshaw66 View Post
Well i was accepted to University of Tennessee, but I cant really afford it. So i think my best bet would be to start at a tech school, or a community college if there is such a thing. Im not really interested in living in a college town, but also not a retired community. I would also love to get a job to work through school, but i know thats not easy to find right now. Im not picky about what kind of job i get, but i wouldnt mind doing some manual labor. i wouldnt mind driving less than 30 minutes to work or go to school if there was a nice town nearby. So i hope im not being too specific.
Well you may consider Cookeville or surrounding area. It is the home of Tennessee Tech and within 30 minutes you can be kayaking the Obey, water skiing in Center Hill lake or Dale Hollow (or fishing) hunting, and just about any outdoor activity. There is a drag strip nearby as well as a dirt track and there is the somewhat famous Atomic Speedway (NASCAR) dirt track a little more than an hour down the road. There are numerous caves to explore, bluffs to rappel, and hollows to see.

Your lack of Appalachian draw will probably make it more difficult for you to adjust to than us, as you will inevitably meet someone on the rare occasion with a hard draw and have trouble understanding them.

There are other smaller towns that have branches like Roane State community college in Crossville, as well as places like Kingston, Harriman and other like communities. Finding a place to worship shouldn't be a problem.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:49 PM

1,398 posts, read 2,510,550 times
Check out Lee College in Cleveland. It has about 5500 students (or so), and Cleveland is a beautiful town of about 35,000. It's only 30 minutes from downtown Chattanooga by Interstate 75 and the school community is really friendly. The students I've met from there are top-notch.

If you are Seventh Day Adventist, there is Southern Adventist University, which is in a suburb of Chattanooga. It draws students from all around the nation/world. I know they have a strong liberal arts program (music related, especially) and actuarial science. I know a few students from there, and they're quite smart. Also (don't want to sound too bad here, but) the women there are beautiful (generally speaking). The SDA religion has a strict diet that avoids preservatives and other "bad" stuff. Anyway, it shows in the appearance of their young adults.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:19 AM

Wow thanks a lot. All of that information is very helpful, Ill be sure to do some research on all those places.

tnhillhopper, Im sure that I will run accross some people who are difficult to understand, but will I be frowned upon for not having that drawl? Ive just heard some people talk on the internet and they say that southerners arent very welcoming to northerners. Technically Im not a northerner I dont think, but I sure do talk like one.

And as far as my denomination, I always went to a non denominational church. But I went to a baptist school for a few years, and Ive been to plenty of different denominations of churches with family. So I would feel comfortable with going to any church, really. Although, I think Ive done my time at the religious schools. Don't get me wrong, I love them and their purpose, I just dont think I would be interested in attending another one.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:54 AM

16,076 posts, read 21,159,132 times
Ditto on TN Tech at Cookeville. Tennessee Tech University
ETSU at Johnson City. Campus Life (http://www.etsu.edu/etsu/campuslife.asp - broken link)
Maybe even Pellissippi at Knoxville. DS took some summer classes there and liked it. Pellissippi State Community College

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyshaw66 View Post
tnhillhopper, Im sure that I will run accross some people who are difficult to understand, but will I be frowned upon for not having that drawl? Ive just heard some people talk on the internet and they say that southerners arent very welcoming to northerners. Technically Im not a northerner I dont think, but I sure do talk like one.
If you have a very noticeable accent you might come in for a bit of teasing, but I can't imagine anyone frowning down at you for it. When I first moved to the deep south from the midwest I found I had to repeat myself sometimes to make myself understood, and that went both ways of course, I sometimes didn't understand what was being said to me. It was kind of frustrating at times, but I never had anybody get nasty over it. Whenever I got the inevitable remark about not being from "around here" I'd just smile and ask "what gave it away?"

As far as southerners not welcoming northerners, that is such a stereotype. Everywhere you go you can find a few small minded people who don't like "outsiders", the south doesn't have a monopoly on that attitude. It's been said plenty of times before but bears repeating, if you move somewhere and you are accepting of the local culture you'll be fine. Don't run around talking about how much better the place you moved from was, or how they did things different, or how you wish the new place had this, that, and the other.
And research, research, research anything that's important to you. (This probably sounds funny but some of the worst complaints I've read on various CD forums is that a poster moves to a place that doesn't offer a type of food they like, and it's apparently very upsetting to them.) For instance you like racing, so I would guess that you want to make sure the place you choose is not too far away from a track of some sort. Sounds like a no brainer, but I think sometimes people forget about the little things like that when they are looking at a place to move to.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:08 AM

13,355 posts, read 39,974,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Ditto on TN Tech at Cookeville. Tennessee Tech University
ETSU at Johnson City. Campus Life (http://www.etsu.edu/etsu/campuslife.asp - broken link)
Maybe even Pellissippi at Knoxville. DS took some summer classes there and liked it. Pellissippi State Community College

If you have a very noticeable accent you might come in for a bit of teasing, but I can't imagine anyone frowning down at you for it. When I first moved to the deep south from the midwest I found I had to repeat myself sometimes to make myself understood, and that went both ways of course, I sometimes didn't understand what was being said to me. It was kind of frustrating at times, but I never had anybody get nasty over it. Whenever I got the inevitable remark about not being from "around here" I'd just smile and ask "what gave it away?"

As far as southerners not welcoming northerners, that is such a stereotype. Everywhere you go you can find a few small minded people who don't like "outsiders", the south doesn't have a monopoly on that attitude. It's been said plenty of times before but bears repeating, if you move somewhere and you are accepting of the local culture you'll be fine. Don't run around talking about how much better the place you moved from was, or how they did things different, or how you wish the new place had this, that, and the other.
And research, research, research anything that's important to you. (This probably sounds funny but some of the worst complaints I've read on various CD forums is that a poster moves to a place that doesn't offer a type of food they like, and it's apparently very upsetting to them.) For instance you like racing, so I would guess that you want to make sure the place you choose is not too far away from a track of some sort. Sounds like a no brainer, but I think sometimes people forget about the little things like that when they are looking at a place to move to.
That is an outstanding post!!!

With the internet it really is easy to do some pretty thorough research before moving to an area even if that area is clear across the country.

I remember a couple of years ago someone came on CD to complain after moving to Sevierville that we don't have any Meijer stores around here, and they just couldn't get over it. Well geez that's something that could've easily been researched before moving here.

And to all these people who keep complaining that Tennesseans aren't welcoming of Northerners. That is such a load of bunk. For crying out loud, our governor is a Northern transplant as was the governor before him. Nashville has had Northern transplant mayors for seemingly forever. If we don't like Northerners so much, why do we keep voting them to be our leaders??

Like you said, it all has to do with attitude. It's incumbent on the transplant to do the adapting, and those who do are warmly embraced. It sounds like jonnyshaw66 will do just fine here. And I also enthusiastically recommend Cookeville and Johnson City.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:39 AM

1 posts, read 2,981 times
Default Tn areas

The only place to live in the south is KY Lake, Paris Landing Area. Everything u required is there. 2 colleges within 25 miles & one, UT @ Martin, is 50 miles away. Boating, fishing, 4-wheeling, camping, hunting & partying. Check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee