Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 12:10 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,216,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellefort View Post
How about his cousins' brother Billys' older daughters' son. HAHA well said. but you know, that's the same thing wherever you live not just in TN.
And again, that applies mostly to small towns off the beaten path (so to speak). In larger town, or towns will more opportunities, it won't apply nearly as much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2007, 12:52 PM

421 posts, read 1,691,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenandoah View Post
That's to be expected, as it's that way in alot of areas, even here, where the jobs go to the locals. Cleveland Ohio is about a one hour drive from here, but when my hubby worked there, he was given the crappy jobs, or no jobs - just because he's a Pennsylvanian.

One question, is that attitude prevalent to anyone's knowledge in the Cookeville area, also? Or with the area is growing so much, with so many 'outsiders' coming in, is that attitude only with a few die-hards?

blessings, Shen
I haven't seen or heard of any of that here. I think they are just looking for workers,PERIOD!
I'm sure it would just depend on the particular contractor.Now,I haven't been to A BUNCH of jobsites,only a few. But I CAN say that when I was at the huge new school of Nursing they are building on TTU campus recently,seemed like 1/4 of the workers were hispanic.Now,they may have just been laborers (or not),but they definitely weren't "locals"!

firepower

Old 06-14-2007, 01:00 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,216,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firepower View Post
I haven't seen or heard of any of that here. I think they are just looking for workers,PERIOD!
I'm sure it would just depend on the particular contractor.Now,I haven't been to A BUNCH of jobsites,only a few. But I CAN say that when I was at the huge new school of Nursing they are building on TTU campus recently,seemed like 1/4 of the workers were hispanic.Now,they may have just been laborers (or not),but they definitely weren't "locals"!

firepower
That's typical for most commercial construction in this area, and elsewhere in the south I believe. Ditto hotel workers, fast food, landscaping . . .

Old 06-14-2007, 02:00 PM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,804,856 times
Most likely when we do come down, we'll look in the Cookeville area first, and the area contractors.

And Danielle, you're right, it's the same everywhere. Small towns mostly, where Billy Bob's sisters cousin's brother's son gets hired, because there's more workers in town, than jobs.

But, Cookeville does appear to be booming, so we'll check it out. Again, nothing is set in stone, and we're not cutting all ties. If he gets hired while we're down there, fine, if not, fine. We'll gather all data, check things out, check out different areas, and see if Tennessee, and what part of TN is a good fit for us, before any ties are cut. We'll just rent at first, in different areas to see what we like. We'll put the house up for sale when we're ready, and if we move to TN, Timbuktu, or 20 miles up the road to New Castle PA, that's all in God's hands.

I didn't want to hijack this thread, so I started another thread, so the original poster can get her info.

blessings, Shen

Old 06-14-2007, 02:04 PM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty cat View Post
It depends on what job/profession you're talking about.
Heavy Equipment Operator - pavers, rollers, excavators, bulldozers, whatever the machine, he's either owned one or had experience on it.
Either for road construction or building, excavating.

blessings, Shen

Old 06-14-2007, 02:06 PM

31 posts, read 156,465 times
Oh, highjack away!
We live in Toledo, Ohio where the union is supposed to be so fantastic and my husband is in with a company ONLY b/c he did some extra side work for his boss, and he spottted a good worker. Otherwise, he'd probably still be laid off! He was #1 on a work list, and didn't get a call for 15 days! He's a damn good worker, which is why he is working now.
We were looking at Knoxville, but we're visiting Nashville, Knoxville, and Cookeville next week to look around. And as far as latino workers go, that's everywhere!

Old 06-14-2007, 02:13 PM

Neither I or Lou have been real big on unions. He's in the union, but isn't a 'Ra-Ra' type person. Both of us would really rather get away from them, and the pervasive attitude about them in this area. Unions were good in the beginning, bringing worker safety, but now, they do more harm than good, and greed along with power is the prime motivator.

blessings, Shen

Old 06-14-2007, 02:45 PM

97 posts, read 376,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amandak View Post
Ok, I'm even more confused than when I first started on here!
I don't know how many people even looked at my other posts, so here goes:
My husband and I are moving to Tenn as soon as our house sells in Ohio. He is a commercial carpenter, but he can build houses residentially as well. Union is a big thing up here, and he make almost $22 an hour. I know cost of living is cheaper there, but I'm not sure where the best place in Tenn is to be for him to work year-round. I am a medical biller, so can I can go anywhere. An acquaintance lives in Fayettesville and says it's wonderful. I've also heard of people going to AL to work! My head is spinning!!! We have two little kids to feed, and bills to pay.
Has anyone moved from a crappy place like Toledo, and made it in Tennessee??? Any input is GREATLY appreciated!
Wow! We are in the exact same situation!! I am currently a Business Office Manager (doing mostly A/R) and my husband is in the construction business. We, too, are looking at moving to the Nashville area soon. We have 3 small children. All our family is in Wisconsin; however, he has a cousin in Nashville. We will be visiting next weekend to check it out. After reading all these threads, I am finding that a lot of people are looking at moving that direction. I did not realize that Tennessee was such a hot area to relocate to!!

Old 06-14-2007, 02:57 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
It depends on where you move to. I can't imagine there would be much of a good ole boy network there. I read on this forum and others, that Chattanooga is kind of like that, though.

It depends on what you do, too.

I was competing with tons of college kids for office jobs in Knoxville and really pulled my hair out. I don't think it's an accident that I ended up at a national company and was hired by a "halfback."

My husband is an auto mechanic and good ones are hard to find. Still, he had a really tough time landing a decent job, even with stellar references. It's been almost two years, and now, finally, the shops are fighting over him. Now they don't care WHERE he came from, they just WANT him.

Take all of the above for what it's worth.

Old 06-14-2007, 03:07 PM

I think it's because the areas are growing that good workers, with experience are needed now, more than ever. Hiknapster, has your husband noticed if alot of those cars are from people who have relocated?

blessings, Shen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee