Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2021, 02:29 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,599,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
But honestly, if I was Tesla, I wouldn't spend a lot of money on the Model S, either. It's a dying segment. The Model S is not their future...the Model 3, Y, and a decent Model X should all sell in much larger volumes and provide better returns to the company.
Production on the Model X and Model S has been suspended as Tesla prepares for competition with Mercedez Benz at or near the $100K price point.

Model 3/Y deliveries in the first quarter of 2021 were a record breaking 182,780.

The Chevrolet Bolt EV had a record breaking first quarter with 9,025 deliveries and holds a distant #2 place behind Tesla.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2021, 02:53 PM

37,223 posts, read 39,488,121 times
Alright folks, anyone get in a Plaid for a test drive yet? How's it? How's that yoke? How's that acceleration?

Old 06-21-2021, 10:07 AM

https://insideevs.com/news/515413/te...ack-reduction/

It looks like the Model S is maybe the first vehicle to do a (small) capacity decrease for its battery. I figured that at some point battery improvements and general improvements in other parts of an EV would result in the stop of simply going for more capacity with each revision and it looks like Tesla with the Model S has done just that. The new Model S has a slightly smaller battery pack than the previous version along with a slight increase in rated range which means a decent 8% boost in overall efficiency. That means each kWh of power put into the vehicle and each minute spent charging at any arbitrary rate yield just a bit more range than it did in the previous version.

Old 06-21-2021, 10:38 AM

30,470 posts, read 19,224,680 times
Improve materials especially interior, quieter, longer range, cheaper. The Germans are coming with their EV's and they are bringing their high quality of materials and construction with them, better be prepared.

Old 06-21-2021, 02:09 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,388,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Improve materials especially interior, quieter, longer range, cheaper. The Germans are coming with their EV's and they are bringing their high quality of materials and construction with them, better be prepared.
The German EVs available so far have had shorter range and, in general, more expensive - the efficiency of the Tesla vehicles is significantly higher and hard to overcome by traditional manufacturers.

Old 06-21-2021, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
The German EVs available so far have had shorter range and, in general, more expensive - the efficiency of the Tesla vehicles is significantly higher and hard to overcome by traditional manufacturers.
I agree that range and efficiency are important, but I think some people don't value range as much once you get into a certain amount of sufficient range and the German EVs might have sufficient range for a number of people even if it's less than the equivalent Tesla's range. At that point, things like the quality of the interior might start becoming a larger factor.

I know that Teslas are minimalist and that can be pretty good and suit a lot of people, but there's a difference between going more or less minimal and having "nicer" interiors. I'm curious as to what Tall Traveler or anyone else might cite as specific parts or materials in the vehicles that can do better and how. Certainly just offering more color options for the interior and exterior could be nice without making it "less" minimal or strongly affecting vehicle performance.

It does look like the interior did have room for improvement though as Motor Trend took a look at the new Plaid's interior (which should carry over to the Long Range as well) and noted that it's better quality material with less textured plastic and fantastic fit and finish: https://www.motortrend.com/cars/tesl...terior-review/

Would have been nice if the Long Range had kept the $69,420 price tag though. If they had done that and were able to keep a decent profit margin, then the Model S would probably trounce the BMW 5-Series and MB E-class in sales.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 06-21-2021 at 03:01 PM..

Old 06-22-2021, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
Yeah but no way of knowing how long that advantage will hold. I'm pulling for Tesla and own the Model Y and impressed with it but I've also owned several BMW's and know the Germans will build a quality well engineered car to compete.

Old 06-22-2021, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Alright folks, anyone get in a Plaid for a test drive yet? How's it? How's that yoke? How's that acceleration?
I've been waiting impatiently for Youtube reviewers to get their hands on it. My take is the Long Range is a significant upgrade and worth it but the Plaid is more marketing than value for the upgrade. I'm also not happy that they've killed Plaid Plus
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla