Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2023, 09:39 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,964,749 times

Advertisements

I am considering purchasing a used model s only.
Style wise, I really like the model s, compared to the other models.
I will still be keeping my Corvette, but would also like the look and feel of a sedan.
The years I am considering are 2014 to 2016.
That's what my budget dictates.
Would like info from people who have owned these vehicles , and those that still own them.
My understanding is they have different grades of battery configurations, and I assume the "90" would be the most durable battery.

I won't be buying until May or June, but starting my search now.
Any input is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2023, 08:11 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,397,471 times
I have a 2015 70D. Get the biggest battery you can find- look hard for a 100D. Bigger batteries are better for many reasons- they have more longevity because they are cycled less often for the same number of miles. They also just simply have more range. Wonder why you think the 90 would be the most durable?

As an aside, my car has about 71k miles on it and has lost about 7% range since it was new. That's pretty darn good. 226 miles vs 240.

One thing to note about older Teslas is that their supercharging speed declines with age. So if you frequently do long trips and expect to supercharge often, it might cut in favor of getting a new (or newer) Model 3 instead of an older Model S. I only supercharge 1-2 times a month, so it's not too annoying for me, but it can mean the difference between a 20 minute charge and a 50 minute charge on a highway trip. In raw numbers, my car only supercharges at 80kw max whereas the newer cars can do 200+kw max, when under 50%. The new ones can add something like 150 miles range in 15-20 minutes, but for me I would only get 70-80 miles in the same 20 mins.

Old 02-17-2023, 11:32 AM

3,180 posts, read 1,654,323 times
I wouldn’t touch used Model S unless I have another daily driver. The charging speeds at lvl 2 is simply not fast enough for real world daily driving. Even if you get a maxed out 100D or P, the range will never get better and charging will take forever at home even level 2. Model S without the later HW3 upgrades are prone to freezes. You have to find one with the Intel upgrade. The 1st thing I would do also is quickly swap the wheels to 17” ones as many Model S with 20”+ wheels are extremely heavy and expensive to replace.

Old 02-17-2023, 12:01 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,964,749 times
Thanks to both of you for your response.
I guess, because I have never seen one, I always thought the 90 was the biggest battery available.
Didn't know there was a 100.

I have my heart set on an S, and I do have another vehicle besides the one I would be buying.
As for the tires, the twenties are ok with me.
My corvette has them, and I like the way they handle.
This is all new to me, so I have to learn more about batteries, and charging.

I don't take many long trips so I am not concerned with the dynamics these electric vehicles seem to need.

This will be my first ev, so I have lots to learn.

Old 02-17-2023, 12:25 PM

3,180 posts, read 1,654,323 times
Well the Model S is superior to Model 3 in every aspect except for the charging speed and the onboard computer system and cameras. Once the onboard computer is upgraded it is at the same level as Model 3 but 2021+ Model S have the newer next gen hardware.

I would get the Subzero package and air suspension which gives you different ride heights and dynamic dampers which is very good for highways, softening rough roads. Some Model S also have sunroofs and different stereo system upgrades.

Old 02-17-2023, 12:47 PM

1,874 posts, read 2,231,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
I wouldn’t touch used Model S unless I have another daily driver. The charging speeds at lvl 2 is simply not fast enough for real world daily driving. Even if you get a maxed out 100D or P, the range will never get better and charging will take forever at home even level 2. Model S without the later HW3 upgrades are prone to freezes. You have to find one with the Intel upgrade. The 1st thing I would do also is quickly swap the wheels to 17” ones as many Model S with 20”+ wheels are extremely heavy and expensive to replace.
I'm pretty sure 19s the smallest recommended. 18s barely clear the front brakes, and I'd be surprised if 17s fit. As for a used Tesla Model S. I wouldn't recommend one unless you had $30K of cash sitting around just in case the worst case scenario presents. We bought our used 11/13 built S85 with 59K miles back in 12/18 from Tesla for just under $40K. The primary reason for buying the car was so that my wife could use the car for solo-HOV access (saved her about 30 minutes on her 55mi commute...2 days a week).

6-months into our ownership there were at least 3 Tesla battery fires that made the news in Europe, China, and the US. Shortly after Tesla issued a software update that reduced the voltage of the battery pack, reduced the range, and made Supercharging (level 3 charging) from 20-90% twice as long. We've had the rear windshield defroster, TPM system upgrade, drive unit, HV contactors, pyro fuse, and HVAC drain hose retrofit replaced under warranty. Those items would probably cost close to $10K in repairs. We currently have 124K miles on the car and I've been watching what other owners are experiencing with wear and tear, and paying attention to battery upgrade options from both Tesla and 3rd party vendors.

They've been at least 2 owners who had failed batteries on their used Model S just months after acquisition. I've never recommended Tesla to anyone but tell them what my ownership has been like and what to look out for. I hope my first Tesla is my last Tesla but their competition's charging infrastructure is no where close to where it needs to be.

Old 02-18-2023, 01:00 AM

735 posts, read 1,170,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Thanks to both of you for your response.
I guess, because I have never seen one, I always thought the 90 was the biggest battery available.
Didn't know there was a 100.

I have my heart set on an S, and I do have another vehicle besides the one I would be buying.
As for the tires, the twenties are ok with me.
My corvette has them, and I like the way they handle.
This is all new to me, so I have to learn more about batteries, and charging.

I don't take many long trips so I am not concerned with the dynamics these electric vehicles seem to need.

This will be my first ev, so I have lots to learn.
I bought a used 2018 Tesla Model S 100D a year ago this month. It had about 30,000 miles. I love, love, love, love this damn car.

Some recommendations:

* Figure out your needs. How often you will be driving the car and how far? That will determine your charging situation- a super charger somewhere near your home, a level 2 charger installed in your garage or trickle charging your vehicle like you do your cell phone at the end of the day.

In my case I am 20 minutes from the office so I just use the charging cable that came with the car to SLOW charge it when it is not in use. I also have a gas powered roadster [the last gas car I will ever own] to run around town while the Model S is charging.

* Research the hell out of the model you are interested in and its options. Then research it some more. Youtube is also a good source. Learn what changes Tesla made year to year etc.

I wanted satellite radio and a sun roof factory installed. Satellite radio was not standard on the Model S until June of 2018 and the sun roof was discontinued after 2018. I was able to pin point what model year I wanted.

* Check Consumer Reports Annual Auto issue for the reliability of the model year you are interested in.

The reliability of the 2018 models was fair- not the second coming of Christ or apocalyptic either but fair. To date I have only had TWO issues with the car the cladding/lining on the driver side door pops off if the door is slammed too hard and I have to pop it back in place- the screws need to be tightened. Also the satellite radio won't remember my presets; it will tune to the next station in numerical sequence instead of the station I want further up the dial- probably a issue with the tuner. Those are the only issues I have had with the car.

* Buy only from Tesla's used car site. Be forewarned they play with the prices and prices go up and down based on what the new models are going for and their availability.

This time last year prices for the 2nd generation model x were bonkers which caused the prices for used 1st generation model x's to cross the six figure range.

I was trying for a used model x but the price increases suddenly exceeded my budget. In late December 2021 and January 2022 I was tracking the prices of several 2018 Model S vehicles. Tesla tried to gouge but when no one was biting- they started dropping prices. I watched the price of my car fall throughout January 2022. I then made a preset number in my head of what I was willing to pay. February 1st the price hit that number and I pulled the trigger.

* Learn as much as you can about Telsa's idiosyncrasies so you are not surprised or caught off guard. They charge idle fees at their super chargers, the key fob covers are extra as are the trunk and frunk mats, full self driving is non-transferable if you ever sell the car to another individual and they are planning on opening up the supercharger network to non-Teslas later this year. [I really dislike that last one. Will there be a backlash?]

* Telsa's purchase experience is bizarre. The minute you put down the deposit, they start refurbishing/prepping the vehicle. BUT you can't see it until delivery day. It is on that day you can kick the tires, sit inside and see if you want it. If you reject it, you will lose the deposit.

My vehicle had some scratches on the passenger door which is normal for a used vehicle. Also keep in mind the rated range on the Tesla used car site is not the range you will see for used car. They lose about four miles of range per year. Mine was rated at 335 miles per charge but since it is four years old I was really only getting 321 but that is fine with me.

* Telsa's customer service is awful. Always, always, always take delivery at the dealership- if you do detect something that is fixable, make the service center fix it first before you drive off the lot. That can't happen if you have them deliver the vehicle to you.

You can liken Tesla to some telecommunications companies out there- fabulous products but may the deity help you if you have to contact their customer service.

* Don't bother with the full self driving option. Adaptive cruise control is good enough it may disengage on tall hills or tap the brakes if it thinks it sees something in its line of site- that is the phantom breaking issue.

That was the reverse of what we experienced with stupid cruise control back in the day. You are getting too close to the car in front of you so you had to disengage it.

* Car washing- Do not take the vehicle through a touch car wash- the manual states hand wash only. Although I have taken it through touch-less car washes. There are sensitive electronics that can and will be damaged if the vehicle is taken through a traditional car wash.

I get a kick watching uninformed Tesla owners take their vehicles through a touch-full car wash complete with brushes potentially damaging their vehicle.

I have owned a lot of gas cars over the decades and the best thing I can say about electric vehicles is that there is minimal maintenance save for tires, wipers and brakes.

Anyway, I have owned my car for a year and love it much more than the 2nd generation Model S with the stalk-less Knight Rider steering wheel. As a result I am only driving my gas powered car once a week and filling it up once a month.

I plan to buy a used 2020 - 2021 Model X at some point in the future. I hope by then the prices will have returned to sanity levels.

Old 02-18-2023, 12:13 PM

1,064 posts, read 622,806 times
Quote:
I have never had a problem getting a full charge overnight with a Tesla wall charger. Here is an overview of charging speed based on connection:

https://www.energysage.com/electric-...rging-a-tesla/

Old 02-18-2023, 05:25 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,370,512 times
Quote:
Really lots of bad information that is not correct - level 2 charging will fill a vehicle easily overnight - 8 hours at 9Kw (40 amps) will give 72 KwHrs or over 200 miles a day on average - very few drive that much daily. I had a 2016 Model S 75D and used it as a daily driver on a dryer plug (24 amps) and still commuted daily with charging taking only a few hours every night. My Model S was not prone to freezing either with HW1. Standard wheels are 19" and cost about $100 apiece to replace the tires - not expensive. I don't believe 17" will even fit and would significantly impact handling - even Model 3 uses 18" wheel standard.

Old 02-20-2023, 05:44 AM

19,027 posts, read 13,937,683 times
Level 2 charging is absolutely MORE than sufficient for daily driving a Tesla. Don’t listen to MkTwet. I did over 26,000 miles last year in mine, almost exclusively charged Level 2 at home. They’ve made very clear that Tesla was not a good choice for them but rather than admit that, pretend their scenario applies to everyone. The key to going electric is to know your driving situation well and how that stacks up to the car you’re considering.

Ddeemo, it’s the larger brake pads. All Model 3’s can wear 18’s. The performance model can only wear a few specific 18’s. I switched my performance to 18’s because of tire thickness. I’m not a fan of low profile tires due to my driving habits. I’ve never seen an S with 18’s but it may be possible.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Electric Vehicles > Tesla