Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 11:48 PM

2 posts, read 4,710 times

Advertisements

I plan on moving to Texas within the year and I was looking towards the eastern side of the state for the climate. However, I've read some negative things about the eastern side. Cleanliness and whatnot. How true are these rumors?

Just looking at what I may be getting myself into.

Thanks.

Edit: I was looking towards the Rusk, TX area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 05:18 AM

595 posts, read 2,722,288 times
East Texas is a beautiful part of the state. Rolling hills, pine trees, hardwoods, beautiful homes and friendly people. East Texas is no different than any other area of the country, you can find good and bad in all neighborhoods. I would suggest that you look at other threads on this forum in regards to East Texas and then ask specific questions. We will be glad to answer them!

Old 05-05-2009, 07:29 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,349,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderOrb View Post
I plan on moving to Texas within the year and I was looking towards the eastern side of the state for the climate. However, I've read some negative things about the eastern side. Cleanliness and whatnot. How true are these rumors?

Thanks.

Edit: I was looking towards the Rusk, TX area.
My brother lives in Cherokee County and likes it. Having grown up southeast of Rusk some forty plus years ago, I enjoy visiting the area each summer but am always ready to return to the dry cool open climates of the Texas High Plains. The largest difference I find in East and West Texas is that east Texas is more urbanized than most parts of west Texas. East Texas is simply a part of Texas and east Texans are like Texans everywhere, i.e., very friendly and helpful.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:39 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Many parts of east texas is in rural areas. It is by far the most green part of the stae. As far as cleamliness and such its as clean as any part especailly when you consider you don't have to put up with much dust from dry conditions,Checkout the lakes are which are beautiful and probably more wooded than any state in area.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:48 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,491,966 times
I have a weekend place in Rusk. Beautiful area.

Yes, some people junk up their yards because broken equipment is expensive to haul away. It's a poor part of the state, but they are good people and crime is almost none.

The soil is red and sandy and when it rains you just take off your shoes before coming in the house. The storms up there are AMAZING though. Tornados seem to be more frequent than here in Houston. Tons of lakes for fishing and water skiing. The land is green and lush, and the forests are dense so you really don't see your neighbors if you have any acreage.

It's and over all laid back life style, and if you like nature and growing things, it's pretty much ideal.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:03 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,636,912 times
I lived in East Texas (five years) and is very beautiful and green, people friendly, but did not enjoy the heat and humidity. Also the bugs! I could never get used to the large roaches (palmetto bug, water bug, etc), they are everywhere! And large winged flying creatures coming at you, never did identify that one. If you don't mind heat, humidity and big bugs, you will probably like the area. I still go back for visits as I do love the area, but don't think I could live there again.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
I lived in East Texas (five years) and is very beautiful and green, people friendly, but did not enjoy the heat and humidity. Also the bugs! I could never get used to the large roaches (palmetto bug, water bug, etc), they are everywhere! And large winged flying creatures coming at you, never did identify that one. If you don't mind heat, humidity and big bugs, you will probably like the area. I still go back for visits as I do love the area, but don't think I could live there again.

Really? We have the mosquitos like everywhere and the millipeds everywhere in the Fall, but there're no more bugs than Houston. As long as the bugs don't get in the house I have no problem with them. Heat and humidity is the same or less than Houston so that doesn't bother me. But unlike Houston there is always a breeze up there and the winters are 15-20 degrees cooler.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:57 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,636,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Really? We have the mosquitos like everywhere and the millipeds everywhere in the Fall, but there're no more bugs than Houston. As long as the bugs don't get in the house I have no problem with them. Heat and humidity is the same or less than Houston so that doesn't bother me. But unlike Houston there is always a breeze up there and the winters are 15-20 degrees cooler.

Agreed, Houston's extremely humid weather and many and varied critters is not pleasant either. Keeping them out of the house is definitely the big challenge. I found a scorpion once in my teacup!! Thankfully had a cat who could get after them. Though many times she would bring things in like crickets, lizards, frogs, etc. etc.!

Old 05-06-2009, 01:31 PM

556 posts, read 1,563,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderOrb View Post

Don't fear the east! The accents are a little different, but there are a variety of folks with thoughts and ideas, and clean yards, like most anywhere. Went through Rusk recently, and found it charming. The noon whistle especially tripped my trigger!

Old 05-06-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontificator View Post
Don't fear the east! The accents are a little different, but there are a variety of folks with thoughts and ideas, and clean yards, like most anywhere. Went through Rusk recently, and found it charming. The noon whistle especially tripped my trigger!

That old train is very neat. I hear it a few times a day when I'm up there. Neat little town. Palestine isn't too far away for a movie and a meal.

I'm wondering if with all that stimulus money they are ever going to do that big lake expansion? It's been planed out for decades and suddenly there's some buzz about it again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas