Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 11:00 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,613,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
7. About "on" rhyming with either "dawn" or "don"....neither one! I say "on" and "own" the same.

For some reason, I ended up with "Midland." LOL!!

A slight "ah" (for pronoun I) sound is what I hear from most native Texans. I fight it tooth and nail, but don't always succeed!
That one was a problem with me too, Cathy! Like you, the way I say "on" is like "own", so it rhymes with neither Don nor dawn. They need another choice in there!

BTW -- what did you (and others) get as to 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc, place rankings? (It can be copied and pasted from the chart itself).

Well, guess I better get something to eat while there is time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 12:07 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,281,122 times
Quote:
Your Result: The Midland

As an Odessan I know that is just plain bull.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:36 PM

687 posts, read 1,578,491 times
I got the Midland as well, with the West a close second.

Fun test!

Old 08-26-2010, 12:44 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,613,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidus View Post

As an Odessan I know that is just plain bull.
LOL I agree that sounds pretty strange!

You know, I am kinda wondering if some of y'all getting "Midland" and being confused and/or disagreeing with it might actually be doing what a lot of people naturally do. That is, not closely listening to yourself and thinking you sound more "neutral" (or whatever) than you really do...? Not saying that is the case, but I know it is definitely an easy thing to do, and can be one good explanation.

Remember also, ones' "second tier ranking" can be very telling as well, especially if it is very close to the first one.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:08 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,281,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
LOL I agree that sounds pretty strange!

You know, I am kinda wondering if some of y'all getting "Midland" and being confused and/or disagreeing with it might actually be doing what a lot of people naturally do. That is, not closely listening to yourself and thinking you sound more "neutral" (or whatever) than you really do...? Not saying that is the case, but I know it is definitely an easy thing to do, and can be one good explanation.

Remember also, ones' "second tier ranking" can be very telling as well, especially if it is very close to the first one.
I was just making a joke. "I don't talk like they do over in Midland, heck no, I live in Odessa."

The result isn't really all that surprising since I have been told by people from other states that I don't really "sound like a Texan". They say that I definitely have an accent, just not the one they would expect a Texan to have.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:25 PM

423 posts, read 824,224 times
49% Dixie. Barely in Yankeedom.

Not surprising. Even though I'm from East Texas I lived in many different places. Although I've always pronounced route as "rout" and sometimes I say "fixin' to" instead of "about to."

I'm sure there are more Southern phrases and words I use that weren't covered by this test.

Now as for the other one:

Quote:
Your Result: Philadelphia

Your accent is as Philadelphian as a cheesesteak! If you're not from Philadelphia, then you're from someplace near there like south Jersey, Baltimore, or Wilmington. if you've ever journeyed to some far off place where people don't know that Philly has an accent, someone may have thought you talked a little weird even though they didn't have a clue what accent it was they heard.

The Midland

The Northeast

The South

The Inland North

Boston

The West

North Central
That doesn't even make sense because I hardly ever been to Philly or Jersey, just passed them through.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:55 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,880,172 times
I got Midland first; the rest of the list is as follows...just weird.

The Inland North
The South
The Northeast
Philadelphia
The West
Boston
North Central

Old 08-26-2010, 09:29 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,556,399 times
57% Dixie. Barely in Dixie

I think that's too high lol. But my accent is Southern and sometimes Northern. I'm going to take the second one.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:37 PM

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The Inland North

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."
The Northeast

The South

Philadelphia

The Midland

The West

Boston

North Central

Wow. This goes hand in hand with what I was saying. Growing up in a military town, we did not get the "southern" vibe like the rest of the immediate area. I assume this would be true in every military town throughout the nation because you are interacting with people from all over the country and world. But I have never and will never say POP for soda.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
I also use service road and access road interchangeably. I will fight anyone who calls it a feeder though
I'm the same way bruh. I hate that word feeder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas