Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 12:35 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,514,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
I've heard "access road" used as well, but I think frontage became more popular at least around Austin. "Service road" sounds very old fashioned to me somehow, like something I heard years and years ago.
I agree that frontage road is the word of choice in Austin - all my native Austinite friends use it.

Not sure why in my mind service and access road are interchangeable. Is it that Dallas/Fort Worth doesn't really have a dominant term for it?

For what it's worth, here is what some anonymous dude on wiki has to say about it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Anonymous Dude on Wiki
Nicknames for frontage roads vary within the state of Texas. In Houston and East Texas they are called feeders. Dallas and Fort Worth residents call their frontage roads "service roads" or "access roads", and "access roads" is the predominant term used in San Antonio. El Paso residents call their frontage roads "gateways." In Austin, however, they use the state's official term of "frontage roads".
Could our Houstonians, San Antonians, Austinites, Dallasites, Fort Worthians, and, uh, El Pasoers? confirm or deny?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 12:36 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,556,399 times
This is what I got on the third test.
36% Dixie. You are definitely a Yankee.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:37 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,982,359 times
Advanced test: 31% -- definitely a Yankee. Pretty much same result as the other version.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:38 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,613,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmont View Post
I was working at a law firm in Austin as a runner (we ran errands, basically), and I was supposed to take a document to another firm. For instructions, I was told to take 35 south, get off the highway, and turn on the frontage road.

I spent about 20 minutes frantically trying to find "Frontage Road."

Service/access road or bust!
LMAO

Just caught this before logging out so had to share one of my own which makes you look positively brilliant, Fillmont!

I was going down to visit my sister and brother in law deep in the DFW metroplex area and, as they had just recently moved to another suburb, I called my BIL to get the new directions. Anyway, he said take 287 to 35 to (this) and (to that), then exit (here) then (there) and then you will go past a mix-master and etc. etc.

Well, I got to I-35 and to this and to that and properly exited here and there, but dammed if I could find a mix-master!

Uhhhh, as it turned out, having never heard the expression before, I thought my BIL was referring to the name of some large concrete/sand/gravel mixing plant or something similar which would serve as a landmark...

Feel a bit better now, Fillmont?

Old 08-27-2010, 12:44 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,514,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
LMAO

Just caught this before logging out so had to share one of my own which makes you look positively brilliant, Fillmont!

I was going down to visit my sister and brother in law deep in the DFW metroplex area and, as they had just recently moved to another suburb, I called my BIL to get the new directions. Anyway, he said take 287 to 35 to (this) and (to that), then exit (here) then (there) and then you will go past a mix-master and etc. etc.

Well, I got to I-35 and to this and to that and properly exited here and there, but dammed if I could find a mix-master!

Uhhhh, as it turned out, having never heard the expression before, I thought my BIL was referring to the name of some large concrete/sand/gravel mixing plant or something similar which would serve as a landmark...

Feel a bit better now, Fillmont?

I love a good cultural misunderstanding story. Pretty impressive that even within one state we can get so utterly flummoxed by what our fellow Texans are saying!

Old 08-27-2010, 12:55 PM

TexasReb, I'm thinking that was the mixmaster in Fort Worth? Now that the highways have been redone so much I'm not even sure it's still there (it would be in a new incarnation, if so).

Old 08-27-2010, 02:31 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,613,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
TexasReb, I'm thinking that was the mixmaster in Fort Worth? Now that the highways have been redone so much I'm not even sure it's still there (it would be in a new incarnation, if so).
That sounds right, DocJ. It has been 15 or so years ago, so I can't recall for sure. Next time I talk to them I will ask him about where it was. All I know is I was searching for some huge sign that said MIX-MASTER, INC, or some such! LOL

Old 08-27-2010, 02:38 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,281,122 times
So has anyone else ever heard of a large interchange being called a spaghetti pile, or was that just my family?

Old 08-27-2010, 03:33 PM

Yeah, I've heard them called Spaghetti Bowls (sounds like a football stadium that you would have in a high Italian immigrant area).

Old 08-27-2010, 05:34 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,880,172 times
41% Dixie. Barely in Yankeedom.

Oh, for crying out loud.....LOL!!

Issues:

1. Beach and coast both.

2. Cart most common, but basket also used.

6. How are you would come before anything for us, but just "Hi" is more common.

9. Definitely rummage. I have NEVER heard "plunder" used like this.

10. Pretty....the others are used only to be funny or for GREAT emphasis!

12. This was one of the stranger ones.....in West Texas, I've only heard "watter" from other WT natives.

I've heard "wattuh" from Yankees.....but I've never heard the last that I ever remember.

13. I've never noticed "oil" pronounced with only one syllable. I say mostly the first choice, 3 syllables, sometimes run together to two.

14. Humdinger and doozie seem to be common in West Texas.

17. I usually hear "mow the lawn", though all are used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas