Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2007, 07:47 AM

875 posts, read 1,094,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
"You people"?

I've been to California many times for business and pleasure, and I do not nor have I ever held that particular stereotype. I formed my opinions about Californians both by dealing with them here in Texas and in their native environment.

Most people in CA, and I do mean MOST people, are fine...if not a little eccentric. They appear eccentric to me, anyway. It's just a few of "you people" who ruin everyone's reputation.
LOL touche! FYI, I could use a recommendation on where to find fresh fish, as in both a fish market, or restaurant. I live in Plano so anything up this way would be helpful.

So far, all I've found in restaurants is fried fish. While I don't dislike fried fish, it's usually frozen. I prefer mine sauteed or baked, with a little wine sauce, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 07:51 AM

I just happened to have lived in "wine country," in northern CA out in the vineyards, hence my Sonoma County wine comment.

I was just being a smart alec!

Old 11-05-2007, 08:07 AM

385 posts, read 1,556,594 times
Come on people...you have got to admit us Californians are quite entertaining. We are the Chia pet to the rest of the nation. Every one of you needs at least a pair to visit you at your home so the rest of the block can have something truly interesting to talk about. I have disturbing habits my neighbors cannot comprehend: I water the desert around my house (wild fire prevention); I stop my car and shoo rattlesnakes off the pavement so they will not be run over; I asked to purchase a bottle opener for the twist top beer I was buying; I sit outside during thunder storms and admire the lightning (we don't have a lot of that in Southern California); at my bar-b-ques, I put fresh vegetables on the grill. I admit it, we can be freaks of nature.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:10 AM

Quote:
I lived in the UK for years where fish was VERY fresh, and I haven't had a bad piece of fish since I've been back in Texas. I guess you just have to know where to go to get it.

Not being a wine drinker, I'm amused yet bored by wine debates. All of a sudden, everyone's a damn sommelier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimK View Post
Come on people...you have got to admit us Californians are quite entertaining. We are the Chia pet to the rest of the nation. Every one of you needs at least a pair to visit you at your home so the rest of the block can have something truly interesting to talk about. I have disturbing habits my neighbors cannot comprehend: I water the desert around my house (wild fire prevention); I stop my car and shoo rattlesnakes off the pavement so they will not be run over; I asked to purchase a bottle opener for the twist top beer I was buying; I sit outside during thunder storms and admire the lightning (we don't have a lot of that in Southern California); at my bar-b-ques, I put fresh vegetables on the grill. I admit it, we can be freaks of nature.
LOL, you have a point! I love bbq'd veggies by the way....I do mine that way too. And, I DO eat tofu! LOL

Old 11-05-2007, 08:15 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,153,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysrodgers View Post
Sounds like a "valley girl." Those accents crack me up. They're not even a natural accent, they're something people deliberately do, to try and sound cool.
No, that's a different accent. It's hard to describe, especially to someone who thinks Californians don't have accents. Try describing an English accent to an English person.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:17 AM

Quote:
LOL touche! FYI, I could use a recommendation on where to find fresh fish, as in both a fish market, or restaurant. I live in Plano so anything up this way would be helpful.

So far, all I've found in restaurants is fried fish. While I don't dislike fried fish, it's usually frozen. I prefer mine sauteed or baked, with a little wine sauce, etc.
Fried fish? Where do you go to eat, McDonalds? I mean...seriously...almost everywhere has grilled, baked, or sauteed fish nowadays. Everywhere that's not a fast food restaurant, that is. The only fried fish I'll eat is cod or haddock with beer batter...basically, the traditional English fish & chips style fried fish.

I've not had any complaints so far with the swordfish or mahi mahi at Central Market, and the sea bass I've gotten from Whole Foods has always been good. Surprisingly, the frozen tilapia at Wal-Mart was also very tasty.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:30 AM

Quote:
No, that's a different accent. It's hard to describe, especially to someone who thinks Californians don't have accents. Try describing an English accent to an English person.
Then my guess is, they didn't grow up in CA, or their parents had some kind of an accent.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Fried fish? Where do you go to eat, McDonalds? I mean...seriously...almost everywhere has grilled, baked, or sauteed fish nowadays. Everywhere that's not a fast food restaurant, that is. The only fried fish I'll eat is cod or haddock with beer batter...basically, the traditional English fish & chips style fried fish.

I've not had any complaints so far with the swordfish or mahi mahi at Central Market, and the sea bass I've gotten from Whole Foods has always been good. Surprisingly, the frozen tilapia at Wal-Mart was also very tasty.
No, I don't go to McDonalds for anything! lol I don't know what Central Market is.

I live near 75 in Plano, so most of my restaurant experiences have been along 75. Crab Shack, etc.....

Old 11-05-2007, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Then my guess is, they didn't grow up in CA, or their parents had some kind of an accent.
Uuuuuuuuuh nope, not so far. Californians do have an accent; there's no need to be defensive about it. I accept that I have a Texas accent, it's nothing to be ashamed of.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:52 AM

Quote:
No, I don't go to McDonalds for anything! lol I don't know what Central Market is.
Coit and 190 in Plano will probably be the closest to you. Check it out...can't believe you haven't even heard of it.

Quote:
I live near 75 in Plano, so most of my restaurant experiences have been along 75. Crab Shack, etc.....
Wellllll there's part of the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas