Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2010, 11:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,470 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have been living in California for the last 15 years and I am really getting exhausted by the constant effort needed just to make mortgage.

I am Asian and work in the Silicon Valley. If we were to compare with the median in the country I would be considered affluent, but really you do not get too much for your money in California at all. I am an engineering manager in the semiconductor field ($190K annually gross with bonuses), in my late 30s with a couple of boys (4 and 2) and a non-working spouse. After mortgage I am finding that I have very little savings (apart from 401k, 529 plans and employee stock purchase) and I have to put 60 plus hours every week at work.

I have been pondering about a move to Texas (Austin, Dallas or Houston) for I think California is going down the chute long term. I have talked about it with friends and they have said even a 30% cut will afford me an even better lifestyle in Texas with the absence of state tax and much better schools.I am finally at a stage in time now where I will break even on my house should I choose to sell it.

The problem is that I have not been able to see to many opportunities in Texas with jobsites like Monster, Hotjobs, Dice etc. Can someone comment on what steps I could possibly take in my situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 07:05 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
get a recruiter--I don't know one--to help find you work
many companies are going to contract employees so you would lose access to benefits
TX has no state health insurance plan for its residents like Mass does and is even contemplating cutting ties to Medicare because the Republicans that run the state hate the Federal govt and Obama

create profile on LinkedIn and try to establish contacts with people in your field in companies in this area

if you are working under a Visa that can be an expensive relocation for a company--they would be reluctant unless there is something extra special about your qualifications

Old 11-15-2010, 07:47 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,773,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
the Republicans that run the state hate the Federal govt and Obama
Shouldn't comments such as these be contained in the political forum?

Old 11-15-2010, 08:22 AM

I was just paraphrasing the story I read about the proposed change the govenor is proposing

Old 11-15-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
I was just paraphrasing the story I read about the proposed change the govenor is proposing
I'm curious. What proposed change are you referring to?

Old 11-15-2010, 10:01 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,876,431 times
Quote:
Do you have a link to the story?

Old 11-15-2010, 01:49 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
Shouldn't comments such as these be contained in the political forum?
No, I think it is perfectly legitimate to talk about Texas political attitudes in the Texas forum.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
No, I think it is perfectly legitimate to talk about Texas political attitudes in the Texas forum.
That may very well be, I truly don't know. I understand national politics are off-topic in this forum and therefore the following quote TX has no state health insurance plan for its residents like Mass does and is even contemplating cutting ties to Medicare because the Republicans that run the state hate the Federal govt and Obama) includes the wording "Federal govt and Obama" which plops it right into the national political scene.

I've always heard, rules are rules along with what's good for the goose is good for the gander, translating....no exceptions.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:22 PM

Conservative legislators in Texas seek to opt out of Medicaid | Texas Legislature | News... (http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/11/13/2629628/conservative-legislators-in-texas.html - broken link)

Old 11-15-2010, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Conservative legislators in Texas seek to opt out of Medicaid | Texas Legislature | News... (http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/11/13/2629628/conservative-legislators-in-texas.html - broken link)

So which one is it, Medicare or Medicaid? In your orginal post you said TX has no state health insurance plan for its residents like Mass does and is even contemplating cutting ties to Medicare because the Republicans that run the state hate the Federal govt and Obama

Perhaps you believe these two programs are the one and same. They are not. https://questions.medicare.gov/app/a...nd-medicaid%3F

Also, Texas is certainly not the only state exploring the possibility of opting out of Medicaid as a way to deal with budget pressures and the costs associated with meeting the requirements of the federal healthcare overhaul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: