Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Texas Pass an Open Carry Law for Firearms?
Yes 62 63.92%
No 35 36.08%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 08:23 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,967,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballfreak View Post
guns were made with the sole purpose of killing. Killing animals or people, it was made to kill.
you still need an idiot to make it go boom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 08:26 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,967,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboybootnut View Post
Hoplophobia from the Greek hoplon, meaning armor, is defined as the "fear of firearms" and as the "fear of armed citizens" The late gun expert Jeff Cooper stated that "the most common manifestation of hoplophobia is the idea that instruments possess a will of their own, apart from that of their user."

Jeff Cooper was a smart man.
I did not know that. I guess I am mildly hoplophobic then.

I am scared of guns like people are scared of snakes or spideys

Old 12-03-2010, 09:09 AM

24 posts, read 42,706 times
I could not believe that I can open carry in Michigan, but NOT Texas........please get it changed, we are moving there in a couple years

Kevin

Old 12-03-2010, 09:36 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,616,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Guns are not just made to kill. I like shooting at paper targets, nothing more. Quite a few firearms are made strictly for target shooting. I have a Texas Concealed Carry License and carry a gun in my car when I go to play somewhere (I'm a professional musician), as often I have to drive home late at night through questionable territory. This 'guns are evil' business is ridiculous. I regard my pistol as a last resort for defensive purposes only.

I'd like to have the option to carry openly. I probably wouldn't do so often, but it should be my right.
Absolutely! That's my take on it as well. I too have a CCL, and really don't carry that often anyway, but like knowing I can. Same as with open carry, I might not ever do it, but I think the option should be there.

So far as the tangental argument of which way is better? Well, there are good points on each side. The "keep the bad guys guessing" is one...as is that, as you said earlier, it could conceivably make the open carrier a first target.

But at the same time -- and overall -- the low-lifes tend to pick on what they perceive as obviously easy targets and if they see someone openly carrying, I would say chances are they will by-pass that person in favor of finding another they are not so sure are "packing".

Yes, the "concealed advantage" aspect is well-taken...provided that the intended victim is able to get their weapon out in time to effectively use it.

However, because these predatory street-scum are "skilled" in their art of sizing up the potential vicitim, they mostly attack weaker looking individuals (i.e. elderly people, handicapped, smaller women, etc) and know ahead of time they can likely overpower them, and not worry if they have a hidden gun or not.

On other other hand, if someone is openly armed, then the chances are much less likely, I would think, they will be accosted. Especially if there are several more average citizens in the vicinity who are also openly carrying and potentially ready to come to the assistance of an innocent third-party.

Also, even if the potential victim fits the class mentioned in the earlier paragraph, the very fact they are openly packing might just send a caution signal to the criminal that this "easy mark" obviously knows something about handguns and how to use them!

Anyway, just my usual two cents worth. But to the OQ? Yes, for sure!

Old 12-03-2010, 09:54 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,760,577 times
As a law abiding, tax paying citizen, I believe that I have the right to protect myself and my property, even if that means carrying openly, which most likely I wouldn't but I want the choice to be able to do so or not.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:13 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,231,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
However, because these predatory street-scum are "skilled" in their art of sizing up the potential vicitim, they mostly attack weaker looking individuals (i.e. elderly people, handicapped, smaller women, etc) and know ahead of time they can likely overpower them, and not worry if they have a hidden gun or not.

On other other hand, if someone is openly armed, then the chances are much less likely, I would think, they will be accosted. Especially if there are several more average citizens in the vicinity who are also openly carrying and potentially ready to come to the assistance of an innocent third-party.
Maybe, but I'd think a low life that figures they can overpower their prey before they can pull a concealed weapon will also figure they can overpower them before they can pull a holstered weapon. With it openly displayed, the attacker knows exactly where it is and which arm you will likely use.

Another thing is these low lifes cherish weapons and that gun will be something nice to steal. Right off the bat they know you got something worth taking.

I haven't formed a final opinion but I think my biggest concern is one that has not been mentioned, and that is whether some people will be openly carrying as a form of intimidation. Perhaps acting a bit more aggressive or argumentative with that sidearm sending a message to the other party as an implied threat to use it.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:12 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,781,705 times
No and they should put in place stringent psychological and practical tests for people who want a concealed carry license. Instead of giving any bubba with a pulse and a few hundreds bucks a license to carry military weaponry and threaten my freedom to life. Stop whining about your freedoms its time you considered other peoples freedom.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:51 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,998,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
No and they should put in place stringent psychological and practical tests for people who want a concealed carry license. Instead of giving any bubba with a pulse and a few hundreds bucks a license to carry military weaponry and threaten my freedom to life. Stop whining about your freedoms its time you considered other peoples freedom.
Really? In the 15+ years that Texas has allowed the conceal carry of handguns, how many times has your life been threatened by a CHL holder? As a matter of fact, how many times have you actually seen someone carrying concealed out in public? Probably never, and probably to your great surprise there are tens of thousands of law-abiding Texans doing so ever day! What? You didn't realize that? I guess the program works then...

About the only time you hear about a CHL holder in the news, they've had to use their weapon to protect themselves, their family, their property or someone else's life. The idiots with guns you hear about in the news are called criminals, which is who the CHL holder is protecting themselves, their families and property from. You can call 911 and wait for help, I and many others prefer to defend ourselves.

Oh, and another news flash for you, you don't need a concealed carry license to owner "military weaponry;" any law-abiding Texan can do so. And I guess if using all that "military weaponry" I used during my 25 years actually in the military is any indication, I can handle it pretty damn well! You would only be threatened by my "military weaponry" in a situation where you threatened me first. As long as you don't, I won't; it's that simple.

So maybe we're not the ones that need to stop whining, and maybe someone needs to educate themselves to the real facts before posting such ridiculous and unsubstantiated comments!

Old 12-03-2010, 07:16 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,616,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbius View Post
No and they should put in place stringent psychological and practical tests for people who want a concealed carry license. Instead of giving any bubba with a pulse and a few hundreds bucks a license to carry military weaponry and threaten my freedom to life.[b] Stop whining about your freedoms its time you considered other peoples freedom
Ok. I, for one, will consider it. I considered it. It took me...oh, a few seconds. Now then, answer this: Which freedoms of yours -- as you see them -- are threatened/negated by those of the Second Amendment?

Last edited by TexasReb; 12-03-2010 at 07:54 PM..

Old 12-03-2010, 07:18 PM

220 posts, read 454,352 times
Yes, but we also need to legalized concealed carry on campus. Its stupid that it should be legal to carry a concealed handgun almost everywhere else, but if you step foot in a school all of a sudden its not legal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas