Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Texas Pass an Open Carry Law for Firearms?
Yes 62 63.92%
No 35 36.08%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 09:47 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,345,684 times

Advertisements

I don't even have a CCW but I'll vote for open carry. I'd rather know who all around me has a weapon than learn late that only the mugger does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 09:55 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,967,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Care to explain why?
Well, for one, an atmosphere of fear and uneasiness can be created by having a bunch of civilians with no real authority carrying their guns around.

Number two: Having a gun doesn't necessarily make you invincible like a lot of posters on here act like it does. When a gunfight breaks out, who lives and who dies is determined by many different factors, and in some ways luck. Even if you're good with your guy, simply having it doesn't make you invincible if chaos breaks out. There's one advantage the criminal almost always has in those situations, they know what's about to happen before you do. Which leads to...

Number three: There's an old saying that goes something like, "If you carry around a gun long enough, eventually somebody is going to shoot at you." I think this comment mirrors what other people have said in this thread already so I won't explain it. But basically, you can become a quick target for a nutjob.

Those are just a few reasons why.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:51 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,910,758 times
Personally, I think concealed is better. Then they don't know if you're packing or not.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:21 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,983,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Well, for one, an atmosphere of fear and uneasiness can be created by having a bunch of civilians with no real authority carrying their guns around.

Number two: Having a gun doesn't necessarily make you invincible like a lot of posters on here act like it does. When a gunfight breaks out, who lives and who dies is determined by many different factors, and in some ways luck. Even if you're good with your guy, simply having it doesn't make you invincible if chaos breaks out. There's one advantage the criminal almost always has in those situations, they know what's about to happen before you do. Which leads to...

Number three: There's an old saying that goes something like, "If you carry around a gun long enough, eventually somebody is going to shoot at you." I think this comment mirrors what other people have said in this thread already so I won't explain it. But basically, you can become a quick target for a nutjob.

"No authority?" Actually, courts have ruled that the Second Amendment applies more towards open carry than it does concealed.

Secondly, none of the concerns you listed have occurred in any of the numerous states that allow some sort of open carry...all 44 of them! Yep, even California has more permissive laws for open carry than Texas!

Lastly, the old argument of "if you have a gun, you'll use it" also has never played out in either open carry or concealed. People made those same claims when Suzanna Huff submitted the bill to allow concealed carry, and crime rates have actually decreased.

It appears you are only posting opinions based on emotions, not facts. That's fine but I for one will never be convinced as I know the truth!

Old 05-08-2013, 03:37 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,601,490 times
Quote:
Sure it creates an atmosphere of fear and uneasiness...especially among the criminal element who are eye-balling people and/or places where they plan to attack and pre-determine as to whether or not their potential victim is armed and, accordingly, might fight back. And that is all that matters! The violent scum among the population strongly avoid situations and places where they might get their asses blown off. Even surveys taken among violent felons bear this out.

What do mean by the use of "authority" as a pre-qualifier? The very same authority that gives law-enforcement officers the right to carry weapons openly is the same that can grant it to civilians. That is, the people working their will thru their elected representatives.

Quote:
Stop right there, UT. And I mean that with all due respect. You are a long time poster and very intelligent and articulate and civil and courteous in your posts.

So with that said? What is the alternative? That the law-abiding citizen be dis-armed and helpless because of the simple truism that there is no guaranted outcome? Good lord, UT, this is a "victims mentality" if I ever heard one.

Personally, I go by the old adage that I would rather have it and need it than need it and not have it. At least that way I (and my loved ones) have a fighting chance.

Quote:
Fair enough. BUT...the monkey-wrench in your summation opinion is this:

WHY has this scenario of yours not transpired? Not even remotely. Why have concealed/open carry laws resulted in LESS violent crimes and random attacks in the given locales? Could it be because the armed law-abiding citizen now has the upper-hand?

Last edited by TexasReb; 05-08-2013 at 05:06 PM..

Old 05-08-2013, 05:35 PM

Many people depend too much on the media to provide them with opinions, instead of researching the subject and coming to their own conclusions.

For example, I bet based on the spectacular news coverage of a few crimes committed with guns, the majority of Americans would say that gun crime has dramatically risen in this country when truth be told, as of 2011 it is down 39 percent over the past 20 years according to a Justice Department report.

The same misconceptions fuel the belief that the open carry of handguns would lead to an increase in crime, but the same argument proved invalid with conceal carry.

As for the "alarm" it would create amongst the general public, I simply don't buy it. Of course there would be an education period required, but if legalized there would be no reason whatsoever for the public to be alarmed at the sight of an armed, law-abiding citizen carrying a firearm going about their business. If I can walk through Home Depot with an ax in my hand, a very lethal object, and people realize I am no threat to them, why couldn't they learn the same if the other tool I possess is a firearm?

Again, I understand the emotion this subject brings up in some people; but that should not stop them from backing up claims with facts and the truth is that all of these expected "scenarios" that may arise if open carry is legalized in Texas are baseless as as the map above shows, numerous other states allow it and none of these issues have transpired.

Honestly, if anything Texas would have an easier time adjusting to it as this state has a long, rich history involving firearms. And for a state that values freedom as much as this one, it is almost embarrassing that this is one right guaranteed by the Constitution (and the only one that actually has specific rationale spelled out in it) that is denied to the citizens of this great state.

I wonder what the defenders of the Alamo would think of that?!?

Old 05-08-2013, 07:24 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,746,469 times
Quote:

I can tell by your responses that you do not have a CHL nor are you comfortable around weapons. Given this, I wonder what your authority is to even comment on this thread?

Lets look at the facts.

The history of civilian cases of defensive shootings shows that civilians have a much higher hit rate than the police AND almost always prevail in an armed encounter.

A number of states, such as AZ and TN, have had OC for some time with good results.

These facts completely refute your arguments.

I am opposed to OC because it takes away the element of surprise.

OTOH others like it because it intimidates the crooks. And the 2nd Amendment says "to bear arms" quite clearly.

I would still CCW even if OC was passed.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:21 AM

1,031 posts, read 1,451,362 times
IMO, open carry would allow criminals to scope out their targets and plan of action with more care and precision, if they are a somewhat intelligent criminal. The punk would be able to see who has a gun and intend to take those people out first before getting to the people without a firearm on their person.

It is just my opinion that having your sidearm concealed is a more efficient element of surprise is you are in a position to protect yourself and others around you.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:18 AM

Yet in none of the states that allow OC has that happened. So, in other words, that's an urban myth.

However, it is well known that criminals prefer unarmed victims. Considering that OC advertises the fact that the individual carrying is not going to be an easy target, most criminals will find an easier score.

Plus, it is also proven that it is easier/quicker to draw from an open holster than a concealed one...

The bottom line is none of the concerns of those against open carry can be supported by fact. Claims that there will be bloodbaths have proven false in those states that allow OC (Oklahoma just joined that list a few months ago, how many shootouts have you read in the news that have happened there?). Accusations that criminals would target those who OC proved invalid as well. Crime has not increased but actually decreased. How have NY and Illinois' strict gun laws positively impacted those states' crime rates? If anything, they've increased as law-abiding citizens aren't allowed to protect themselves while criminals run rampantly around armed to the teeth.

HB700 doesn't require anyone to open carry, it simply allows those who would like to the opportunity to do so. There is no valid argument against it, just fear-mongering politicians appealing to an ignorant constituent. People should be more afraid of the fast food that causes more deaths in this country than firearms by far, or the many other easily avoidable things in everyday like that have a better chance of killing them than the extremely remote possibility of ending up in a gunfight.

Even the vast majority of police officers, who open carry on a daily basis, have never been involved in a shootout; acting as if allowing open carry in Texas would change anything is pure fantasy...

Old 05-10-2013, 01:18 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,601,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Yet in none of the states that allow OC has that happened. So, in other words, that's an urban myth.

However, it is well known that criminals prefer unarmed victims. Considering that OC advertises the fact that the individual carrying is not going to be an easy target, most criminals will find an easier score.

Plus, it is also proven that it is easier/quicker to draw from an open holster than a concealed one...

The bottom line is none of the concerns of those against open carry can be supported by fact. Claims that there will be bloodbaths have proven false in those states that allow OC (Oklahoma just joined that list a few months ago, how many shootouts have you read in the news that have happened there?). Accusations that criminals would target those who OC proved invalid as well. Crime has not increased but actually decreased. How have NY and Illinois' strict gun laws positively impacted those states' crime rates? If anything, they've increased as law-abiding citizens aren't allowed to protect themselves while criminals run rampantly around armed to the teeth.

HB700 doesn't require anyone to open carry, it simply allows those who would like to the opportunity to do so. There is no valid argument against it, just fear-mongering politicians appealing to an ignorant constituent. People should be more afraid of the fast food that causes more deaths in this country than firearms by far, or the many other easily avoidable things in everyday like that have a better chance of killing them than the extremely remote possibility of ending up in a gunfight.

Even the vast majority of police officers, who open carry on a daily basis, have never been involved in a shootout; acting as if allowing open carry in Texas would change anything is pure fantasy...
I totally agree with all this. The main argument against dis-allowing "open carry" is the rather lame one (IMHO) that it would give the criminal the advantage. Not withstanding the obvious fact -- as you point out -- a concealed weapon is much harder to reach in truly "do or die" situation than one in easy reach -- the contension of those who oppose it seem to procede from the unsupportable premise that those scum would not pick an easier target than someone openly armed.

While yes, there are some some holsters (especially small back pocket) that allow for the concealed carrier to spring that element of surprise on the thug? (With apologies to John Wayne..."Here's my money...and a little something extra for your trouble! Bang Bang! LOL).

As you indicated, and studies among violent felons bear out, the biggest single reason why a robber/mugger/etc. chose to avoid one potential victim over picking another is the fear of one of them being armed. And obviously they are if they are openly carrying.

Which, it naturally follows, is why mass-killing don't occur in gun-clubs or gunshows or areas/businesses where there is a better than average chance, other patrons might be armed.

By the same token, as these slimes who individually rob/assault are prone to pick the obvious helpless as victims? Then there is always an easier target out there.

*grins* Personally, I love the scenario of an openly armed little old lady!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas