Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 02:45 PM

135 posts, read 499,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyaztec View Post
was just about to post a similar question since there isn't much info. on here that is current.

My husband has a job interview this week and professionally, sounds great. Like the original poster, we are from So California, lived in San Diego and I actually traveled across the border regularly, alone, for work. I'm half Mexican and we enjoy being around Hispanic culture in general. We currently live in a semi-country area in Virginia, so not being close to a "big city environment" is fine. We have two elementary aged children so schools and safety are big issues for me. we have family in San Antonio, so the location is also a plus for us (it's been years since we've lived close to anyone in our family)

I would love some insight.
don't do it...trust me. school system is awful here. everytime i have to attend parent/teacher night its impossible to believe these people are permitted to "shape our youth's minds". some of the teachers here speak awful English, thats why they teach in spanish. my family and i are from Corpus Christi, i thought the school system was bad there until i arrived to Laredo. i tried to give this city a chance, but i just cant aquire the taste for this place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 05:00 PM

57 posts, read 205,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowviolette View Post
don't do it...trust me. school system is awful here. everytime i have to attend parent/teacher night its impossible to believe these people are permitted to "shape our youth's minds". some of the teachers here speak awful English, thats why they teach in spanish. my family and i are from Corpus Christi, i thought the school system was bad there until i arrived to Laredo. i tried to give this city a chance, but i just cant aquire the taste for this place.
thanks for the response. How long have you been there? Do you know anything about the private schools, specifically United Day School?

Old 01-24-2011, 05:31 PM

135 posts, read 499,022 times
been here 2+ years. the private schools are expensive, haven't heard anything negative about United day school, but i am sure they are a step up from public schooling. one elementary that is decent is Trautman Elem., i think they scored well on state school ratings. Nye and Amp. Gutierrez are also ok. Middle school that did score very well was Trautman Middle School. if you decide to move here, live on the northside and make sure your kids attend schools in United ISD because Laredo ISD is abominable at best. Also, property taxes are high on the northside because you bascially are paying schooling for kids that come across the bridge daily to attend school here and also for the kids that come from the southside and outter areas (Rio Bravo & El Cenizo...govt subsidized communities).

i dont wanna sound like some pessimistic person because i always bash laredo because i am from Corpus, but once you live here you will realize how trashy this city is. i never thought that 150 miles that seperate these two cities might as well be worlds apart..so completely different. good luck.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:14 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,013,580 times
Thank you all for the responses. I've heard two extremes it's so difficult- the job pays very well, specially for the area- we for sure will visit before any decision is made.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:20 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,013,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neddy View Post
Beera,
From what I have heard lately the stats dont even begin to tell the story. The drug war with the cartels are crossing over here now a lot of folks up in the north dont think it is that bad but take that shooting on Falcon Lake with the guy dead and then the lead being deheaded and then no one looks any futher into it. The wars have spread from the border down to Cancun and the interior not sure if your border is having any problems.
Thanks neddy- I tried to find articles online but everything is either really old or talks about the other side of the border.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:18 AM

57 posts, read 205,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
Thank you all for the responses. I've heard two extremes it's so difficult- the job pays very well, specially for the area- we for sure will visit before any decision is made.
sent you a private message.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:02 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,653,212 times
Beera,
When I lived in San Antonio (now I am outside of Austin) I had some friends who husbands worked on the Border Patrol in Laredo but for safety and schooling reasons the wives and kids lived in SA. The men carpooled down on Sunday night and came back Thursday night and had an apt down there to sleep in.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:32 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,100,664 times
san diego and laredo are completely different border towns. san diego doesnt feel like mexico is just a few miles away. in my opinion, laredos an ugly city. currently, im working in the valley for my job (mcallen, browsville) and even this area beats laredo by a long shot. i wouldnt move there, and would consider other texas cities.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,825 times
I just moved here for a job after finishing graduate school on the West coast. I am originally from the Bay Area of California. I've been here 6 months and from what I can tell there are certain parts of Laredo that are better than others. I live in the northern part and for the most part I would say it's 'safe'. Almost any home off of Del Mar Blvd will be relatively 'safe' and close to most of the good schools. If you don't mind that there are not a lot of things to do other than shop, drink, shop, eat, drink... then you will be fine here. It doesn't matter how far North you go in Laredo, there are some 'nice' neighborhoods that still harbor drug dealers. Someone I know lives in far North Laredo and has two drug dealers living on her street. What lowviolette has said about this city is pretty much true. Although, there is a new bookstore (Books-a-million) coming to the Mall Del Norte. If you were a single intelligent person that values progressive thinking I would say avoid coming here if you can, this place will drain your soul. I am hoping I can eventually find a job elsewhere.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:44 AM

6 posts, read 19,068 times
My mom is from Laredo and she wont even let me drive through it she says its to dangerous and thats what my godmother, her sister, my grandparents, and my godmothers mom. My mom grew up there and she told me that she couldn't wait to leave and thats how she learned to speak some spanish. She wont let me set foot on the city lines. All of my family is glad not to live there anymore because of now about the border and the cartels and everything thats going on and from what i have seen and been told i think the two worst places to live if your not hispanic is Laredo and El Paso.

My mom went back a couple months ago and she would never go back for any reason unless someone is dieing that she knew, and that she thought it had gotten better she was wrong and she told me that she wont go back unless someone is seriously ill but other than that she will NEVER GO BACK to Laredo.

And thats not true about Laredo being one of the safest places in Tx.!!!!! Its completly oppisite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas