Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where should I live???
Houston 40 35.40%
Dallas 31 27.43%
Austin 42 37.17%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 05:23 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,936,355 times

Advertisements

OMG you are so misinformed: Dallas has the largest alternative/indie scene in Texas. Have you ever been to The Lizard Lounge? Double Wide? Excuses Extreme? Trees? Club DaDa? The Bone? The Prophet Bar? Curtain Club? The Door? Deep Ellum Art Park......etc. Deep Ellum is where it is at for alternative.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bm3pmvIDd-M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAkn1DA5Yp0

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
I never said Dallas had a dead nightlife. But Austin moreso than Dallas caters to the "alternative/indie" scene, which is why I recomended Austin in the first place.

Last edited by artsyguy; 03-03-2011 at 05:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 06:55 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,287,721 times
Yes, downtown Dallas itself is dead...but the neighborhoods within 1-2 miles of downtown (The Cedars/ Southside, Deep Ellum/ Exposition Park, Bishop Arts District/ North Oak Cliff, Uptown/Oak Lawn, Knox-Henderson) are lively and anything but boring or bland.

In this order- Deep Ellum/Exposition Park, The Cedars/Southside, Bishop Arts/ North Oak Cliff, and possibly Oak Lawn- are neighborhoods in Dallas that OP should check out.

OP, pull up the future shows at The Palladium, Trees, Kessler Theatre, The Granada, Sons of Herman Hall and see if anything there meets your music scene criteria. I am not into the hometown bands like I was back in high school (90's), but there is a thriving indie/rock music scene in Dallas.

If you get a chance to visit, go to Lee Harvey's bar or All Good Cafe in Deep Ellum. Check out the bars & art galleries in Exposition Park near Fair Park.

You can certainly find "your tribe" here- and you won't have to fly though any city to get back to NYC or abroad. (many Austin AA flights stop in Dallas before heading on to bigger cities).

Austin is great for a weekend or to go down for ACL or SXSW, but it is the ultimate small town as far as the young professional (and particularly young indie professional) community is concentrated and quite small....it will feel like the Cheers bar after 6 months- which may be a welcoming change or a nightmare transition from NYC (where I too have also lived).

Old 03-03-2011, 07:17 PM

228 posts, read 537,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Austin is extreme crap: it's extremely overcrowded on their two party streets 6th street and 4th street: the Austin population is heavily brainwashed and dumbed down by UT Austin indoctrination and prevalent alcohol and marijuana abuse: so you are guaranteed to not meet anyone of value or class there.
Here are you, like clockwork, with your childish remarks about Austin (and UT). And so this thread heads straight for the gutter.

Everything you say reeks of an inferiority complex. From a factual standpoint, it's wholesale garbage that's grounded in either misinformation or misconception. Indeed, absolutely nothing you say has any merit.

There's no need to actually respond respectfully to your actual "points"--I've done it many times before to no avail. My purpose here is to alert new readers to your shenanigans, and flag your posts as either wrong, misleading, or otherwise horribly biased with little objective basis.

Last edited by feconi; 03-03-2011 at 07:26 PM..

Old 03-03-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
OMG you are so misinformed: Dallas has the largest alternative/indie scene in Texas. Have you ever been to The Lizard Lounge? Double Wide? Excuses Extreme? Trees? Club DaDa? The Bone? The Prophet Bar? Curtain Club? The Door? Deep Ellum Art Park......etc. Deep Ellum is where it is at for alternative.
Yes, you are totally clueless and biased.

Posting a couple of videos and listing some clubs isn't convincing anyone.

If anything, you make a mockery of Dallas. We all know it isn't a "hip, indie" city like Austin. You trying to paint it as such comes off as desperate and pathetic.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
The music scene in Austin consists of a run down club called Emo's (plus 10 other box buildings that look the same) and a festival featuring has-beens called South By Southwest/ACL.
Hyperbole (or ignorance?) at it's very finest.

Obviously, with this sort of garbage, nothing else you say in this thread will be taken at face value. Why even bother posting if you don't want people to actually respect your opinion? You lose all credibility when you spout nonsense just like this.

Again, no need for me to provide any sort of objective reply--rebuttals to your childish posts simply aren't deserving of any real effort on my part.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:29 PM

No I do not think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feconi View Post
Yes, you are totally clueless and biased.

Posting a couple of videos and listing some clubs isn't convincing anyone.

If anything, you make a mockery of Dallas. We all know it isn't a "hip, indie" city like Austin. You trying to paint it as such comes off as desperate and pathetic.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
No I do not think so.
When called out, you just roll right on over. You know you're totally off-base here. How many times do I have to scold you like a little child?

Old 03-03-2011, 07:31 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,874,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
You can certainly find "your tribe" here- and you won't have to fly though any city to get back to NYC or abroad. (many Austin AA flights stop in Dallas before heading on to bigger cities)
You'd want to use Jet Blue for direct flights to NYC from Austin anyway. frankly, AA is pretty awful compared to most airlines.

I am surprised Dallas is second in the poll, I'd figure Houston would be the second favorite after Austin. Perhaps Dallas has improved since I lived there...

Anyway, moving from NYC to Texas (or really any place in the south) is going to be a huge culture shock whatever the city. But DFW and Houston are just such ginormous southern megaburbs, it might just be too much. They are excellent values for cost of living, and they have the jobs... But if you have the money, or the skill to thrive in a competitive environment where everyone wants to be, then Austin would be the choice. I fully admit I'm biased, though - I have lived in all 3 and love Austin.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:33 PM

Look up the Beauty Bar, Elysium, Shangri'la, and Emos: they are all practically the same bar.

The Spider House Art Space was the only place somewhat cool in Austin.

I'm not sure if I missed out on anything but I don't think I am biased here.

Quote:
Hyperbole (or ignorance?) at it's very finest.

Obviously, with this sort of garbage, nothing else you say in this thread will be taken at face value. Why even bother posting if you don't want people to actually respect your opinion? You lose all credibility when you spout nonsense just like this.

Again, no need for me to provide any sort of objective reply--rebuttals to your childish posts simply aren't deserving of any real effort on my part.

Last edited by artsyguy; 03-03-2011 at 07:47 PM..

Old 03-03-2011, 07:38 PM

The Spider House Art Space/restaurant in Austin is okay. It's comparable to Obzeet in Dallas.

But more realistically compare that to everything that Dallas offers in Deep Ellum, Oaklawn, and Exposition Park. It dwarfs Austin.

The Dallas Contemporary and The MAC (in Oaklawn district) are the two leading giants of art/artsy nightlife events in Texas. The Nomad used to be good before it went down the tubes.

The Lizard Lounge in Dallas always throws a sideshow carnival several times a year: plus Zombie Prom, Gothic Beauty Pageant Night, and costume parties. You won't find anything radical like that in Austin: I think the hipsters and emos are "the radicals" or pariahs in Austin: that's why everyone is always screaming "eww those guys wear tight pants". Get over it: tight pants aren't anything new.

Quote:
When called out, you just roll right on over. You know you're totally off-base here. How many times do I have to scold you like a little child?

Last edited by artsyguy; 03-03-2011 at 07:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas