Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where should I live???
Houston 40 35.40%
Dallas 31 27.43%
Austin 42 37.17%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 09:23 PM

13 posts, read 23,021 times

Advertisements

I am 31, and am being relocated to Texas by my employer. I love NYC, and don't want to leave, but my employer is incredibly insistent that I live in Texas, at least for a couple of years. As such, I am in urgent need of city recommendations. Other than NYC, my favorite cities in the U.S. are Portland, San Diego, Denver, and Chicago. I have visited each of Houston, Dallas, and Austin, but for only one day per city. Regardless of where I end up, I plan to reside in the central district (no more than 10-15 minutes from downtown), and I would appreciate a city with some green space, a downtown that isn't a ghost town on evenings/weekends, a good bar/music scene, some cool walkable areas of town, and some urban loft-style living options. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 09:30 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,602,083 times
Austin will better meet your criteria. I live in Houston and love it, but what you are looking for will be more accesible/available in Austin.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:37 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Dallas has that big city feel. Still nothing compared to NYC though.
Lots of nightlife in Dallas and FT Worth is just a hop/skip away.

http://ondaweb.com/deep_ellum/

Old 02-28-2011, 11:43 PM

271 posts, read 393,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Dallas has that big city feel. Still nothing compared to NYC though.
Lots of nightlife in Dallas and FT Worth is just a hop/skip away.

Deep Ellum - Dallas, Texas
Yeah, but Dallas' Downtown is dead after working hours. I think Austin would be more to his liking.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:21 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
I would say Austin of the cities youve listed. You may want to give Fort Worth a look as well. Downtown Fort Worth is walkable and a lot of fun.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:55 AM

333 posts, read 638,822 times
uptown dallas my man, uptown dallas

Old 03-01-2011, 09:59 AM

180 posts, read 479,461 times
Just know that between Dallas, Houston and Austin...they will be not even compare to NYC.....just go with an open mind and where ever you choose try to enjoy what that city has to offer. Oh...and prepare for the disgusting heat.

Based on your post, I would go with Austin. Great music scene, lots of parks, the more walkable city between the three, thriving/centralized downtown area, laid back feel. It is the smallest city between the 3 but since your fave cities are San Deigo, Portland & Denver that is why I pick Austin. Good luck!

Old 03-01-2011, 11:24 AM

228 posts, read 537,160 times
Any of the three cities you list, as well as Fort Worth, could be a good fit. Dallas and Houston are much bigger cities with more big city amenities and more diversity. Austin meets your specific criteria well--it has a good bar/music scene and is an outdoorsy city that shares some similarities to Portland, so just choosing one of the three, I suggest Austin.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:55 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,268,294 times
You've received good advice -- don't expect it to be like NYC. There is nothing approaching that density any city in Texas.

I think you would be happy in any of the cities. Houston and Dallas are much larger than Austin, but their downtowns do go to sleep after dark and on the weekends -- kind of like Wall Street. Austin's downtown is more lively, but there is less to do in general in the city -- and it is geared for the college crowd. Houston and Dallas are more refined, where Austin is more laid back, outdoorsy and unashamedly unrefined.

In Dallas and Houston you will have to look just outside of downtown proper for the action, but both cities still have urban environments 10 minutes from downtown in the central city where you go to party. In Houston it is Midtown, the Galleria and Montrose. In Dallas it is Uptown, Oak Lawn and Knox-Henderson-Greenville. They are in the shadows of the skyscrapers and most outsiders would consider it "downtown" even though the city dwellers think differently. Most of the buildings are 2 to 20 stories in those areas. Not suburban, but not strictly the downtown financial districts either.

Last edited by hamiltonpl; 03-01-2011 at 01:28 PM..

Old 03-01-2011, 01:16 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,842,323 times
Austin has the hipster and live music scene going for it, but neither Houston or Dallas are slouches in that area. Also, both of those cities are going to offer you more of the big city ammenities.

Personally, I'd recommend Dallas for a New Yorker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas