Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2011, 09:46 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn
Just FYI, its easy to use the Texas Trivia button at the top of the forum thread window to verify if a question has been asked. I do it often to make sure I'm not repeating myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
Thanks. I didn't find a "texas trivia button" but did learn something about searching the thread using the "thread tool." Heretofore I had used the "forum search" - but that returned tons of threads, many totally unrelated to the Texas forum.

I'm sorry, City-Data inserted the words "Texas Trivia" in my post when what I had typed was the link to the "Search this Thread" button, and I did not catch it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 10:41 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Not exactly a city, but Iraan comes to mind......named for Ira and Ann Yates.
I'll have to accept that, since it (nearly) qualifies. Apparently, it is locally pronounced "Ira-ann"?

The one I was thinking of is Floydada. Floyd and Ada were the parents of Mrs. Price, the wife of the first organizer of the town, and that etymology is disputed. But today it is pronounced "Floyd-Ada" with a long-A. People in Houston probably don't think Floydada is a "city", either.

Sorry to be getting back late, I didn't expect your answer within two minutes. Your turn.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:15 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I'll have to accept that, since it (nearly) qualifies. Apparently, it is locally pronounced "Ira-ann"?

The one I was thinking of is Floydada. Floyd and Ada were the parents of Mrs. Price, the wife of the first organizer of the town, and that etymology is disputed. But today it is pronounced "Floyd-Ada" with a long-A. People in Houston probably don't think Floydada is a "city", either.

Sorry to be getting back late, I didn't expect your answer within two minutes. Your turn.
I didn't know that about Floydada, and didn't expect a different answer, LOL!! Since I grew up 50 miles from there, it popped into my head.

It is usually pronounced with the "long a" sound, but like everything else, is often butchered!

So......here's an easy one. For what major enterprise were the Yates responsible?

Old 08-17-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
So......here's an easy one. For what major enterprise were the Yates responsible?
Ira and Ann Yates were ranchers until oil was found on their land. This Yates Oilfield became one of the most productive oil fields in history.

Quote:
Yates Oil Field - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The field has produced more than one billion barrels of oil, making it one of the largest in the United States, and in 2009 it remains productive, though at a diminished rate. Estimated recoverable reserves are still approximately one billion barrels, which represents approximately 50% of the original oil in place (OOIP).

Yates had recently purchased the ranch, and was having difficulty making sufficient profit to pay the mortgage and taxes; on a hunch, he invited Transcontinental Oil Company to explore his land for oil. In 1926, a partnership consisting of Mid Kansas Oil Company (part of The Ohio Oil Company, the ancestor of Marathon Oil) and Transcontinental Oil, drilled an exploratory well on the Yates ranch into the San Andres formation approximately 1,000 feet (300 m) below ground surface, and hit a rich productive zone, producing a "gusher" – an uncontrolled spew of crude oil, under intense pressure, into the air. Lacking any other means of containment, the crew dammed a nearby draw to build a holding pond for the oil. Other wells drilled nearby also hit substantial quantities of oil – it seemed to be everywhere. Both Yates and the oilmen immediately recognized the significance of their find.

Old 08-17-2011, 05:13 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,165,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Ira and Ann Yates were ranchers until oil was found on their land. This Yates Oilfield became one of the most productive oil fields in history.
I worked in the refinery end of the business for 32 years and remember the El Paso refinery (belonged to Chevron at the time) piped crude from both the Snyder/Wink and Yates fields. Yates crude was extremely sour - meaning it had an unusually high sulfur content that caused serious corrosion of refinery processing equipment. By contrast, Snyder crude was sweet - low sulfur content.

Now where else could I have been able to mention that bit of trivia!

Old 08-17-2011, 05:14 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,878,251 times
Yep......the smartest move they ever made....!

Old 08-17-2011, 05:17 PM

OK, Next question, still speaking of Iraan, TX...

What famous comic book character got its start in Iraan and what was his girlfriends name?

Hint: Iraan named a city park after him.

Old 08-17-2011, 05:56 PM

751 posts, read 1,482,952 times
Alley Oop

and methinks his GF was Foozy???

Cool park btw

Old 08-17-2011, 08:34 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by losttechnician View Post
Alley Oop

Cool park btw
Foozy was Oop's male friend. His GF was Oola.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by losttechnician
Alley Oop

Cool park btw
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Foozy was Oop's male friend. His GF was Oola.
Alley Oop is correct.

Foozy is incorrect. Oola is almost correct, since it is spelled Ooola.

I don't recall losttechnician participating in Texas Trivia before so I'm giving this one to him.

Welcome to Texas Trivia losttechnician, its now your turn to ask the next question.

Quote:
Alley Oop - A time-traveling caveman
Ooola - Oop's pretty girlfriend

Your Tube Video

Alley-Oop Park and Museum in Iraan, TX - YouTube

From Wikipedia: One of Iraan's most famous residents was V.T. Hamlin, the creator of the comic strip Alley Oop. Originally from Iowa, he worked in Iraan during the oil boom period of the late 1920s, and either got the idea for the strip or created its earliest drafts there; the strip was first published in 1932 in Des Moines. He moved back to Iowa in 1929, and later to Florida. A park in Iraan is named after the strip.

At its peak, Alley Oop was carried by 800 newspapers. Today, it appears in more than 600 newspapers.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas