Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 04:54 AM

17 posts, read 322,408 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know what are the requirements to become a Texas resident? I know each state is different and didn't know what Texas requires.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2006, 05:39 AM

3,823 posts, read 14,667,075 times
Default Texas Resident

Usually you become a Texas resident for two reasons; to vote in state and local elections, and for applying to colleges in Texas (resident vs non-resident tuition). Here is an example of one colleges' requirement (you have to meet 4 out of the 8):

Purchase a residence in Texas and claim it as a homestead;
Register to vote in Texas;
Register an automobile in Texas;
Maintain a Texas driver's license;
Maintain checking, savings or safety deposit box in Texas;
Have a will or other legal documents on file in Texas that indicate residence in Texas;
Have membership in professional organizations or other state organizations; and/or
Establish a business in Texas.

Here is a link concerning voter registration requirements:

http://www.sos.state.tx.us/elections/voter/reqvr.shtml

Old 09-02-2006, 11:48 AM

679 posts, read 2,833,467 times
As an additional question...does Texas have what they call "Jury Duty". Here, once you become a resident, you have a duty to serve on a jury, if they need you. So, once per year, you get called to standby for a certain week, in case the court needs you for any particular day. I absolutely hate it. It can really mess up plans.

Old 09-02-2006, 12:02 PM

92 posts, read 673,670 times
Default Texas jury duty?

Yep, but not necessarily once per year.
I've gone for several years (here in Texas) w/o any jury duty call whatsoever.
But then, I was called for once in '05, and once again in '06...unpredictable, but you'll bound to be called sooner or later...
One of above was for a local municipal court; the other was for a Federal District court....out of the approx. 300 in prosp. jury pool for the district case, lucky me, i was one of the chosen 12.....got lined up in hallway, receiving our directions to proceed to courtroom, when clerk came down to tell us "Y'all can go home now, they just reached an out of court settlement."
So, I got to collect my $5 jury duty summons 'payment' and go home after taking more than half a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdreamin View Post
As an additional question...does Texas have what they call "Jury Duty". Here, once you become a resident, you have a duty to serve on a jury, if they need you. So, once per year, you get called to standby for a certain week, in case the court needs you for any particular day. I absolutely hate it. It can really mess up plans.

Old 09-02-2006, 01:16 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,667,075 times
Default Jury Duty

Bexar County (San Antonio) has been using two pool sources, voter registration (the original pool source) and Texas Driver License holders. I've been called twice in 16 years. Some people have been more, some less. There is also Federal (U.S.) jury duty. They will usually send you a questionnaire if they are considering you. I filled one out several years ago but have never been called.

Old 09-04-2006, 11:56 AM

14 posts, read 255,914 times
To become a Texas resident you have to live in TX for 90 days and have a Texas Drivers license. You have 90 days to change all of your info...car registration, DL, etc..to Texas. Hope that this helps.

Old 09-05-2006, 08:12 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,624,789 times
For residency for colleges/universities, I think there is a longer residency requirement...maybe a year? I am not sure, so make sure you check, if that is what is important to you. It all has to do with in-state vs. out of state tuition. For voting, etc., it is all very quick. Register and change your address, etc. (as listed above) and you are ready to go.

Old 09-07-2006, 10:40 AM

28 posts, read 371,198 times
I agree with Trainwreck...I applied to the local university here in Laredo and was concerned with the resident vs. non-resident tuition and called to clarify what makes you a resident. They said you had to live here a year before they would consider you a resident. There is even a residency form you have to fill out with your application that states how long you've lived here, where you work and how long and if you own property or registered a vehicle in Texas. As for my vehicle, the DMV told us we had 90 days to change the registration and license plates so I did that as well as got my Texas drivers license right away.

Old 09-07-2006, 04:40 PM
TGM

100 posts, read 592,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlburgess View Post
To become a Texas resident you have to live in TX for 90 days and have a Texas Drivers license. You have 90 days to change all of your info...car registration, DL, etc..to Texas. Hope that this helps.
I don't want to disagree with anyone, but I have to point out that Texas only gives you 30 days to obtain your Texas drivers license & vehicle registration.

Trust me, I'm a cop.
TGM

Old 09-07-2006, 04:50 PM

363 posts, read 2,019,617 times
Um... What happens if you get to Texas and procrastinate big time on changing your driver's license? We're going tomorrow- I promise. (Really, what happens?)Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas