Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 01:10 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Because if that's abuse; than millions upon millions are have experienced or are experiencing abuse. There is a thin line between corporal punishment and abuse. You say her getting swatted on the arms and legs like it's a bad thing; if he started going for her face; that's when it becomes an issue with me.

If he had done to his wife; it would become abuse because that's not his child. As parents; you're allowed to punish your child; not your spouse. As far as a dog; I wouldn't call that animal cruelty.

Different methods of punishment and discipline are approached differently in homes all over the world. Nothing in that video displayed physical abuse to me. My siblings and I have gotten it worse than that. We still have a strong relationship with our parents and didn't come out of it mentally or physically damaged.

I agree with Texan55; america as a society has become more softer. No wonder children these days are a mess. Our teen pregnancy rates are the highest we've ever seen them; as well as crime among minors.
those were NOT swats.... my brother and i both got swats on our butts growing up in the 60's and i can GUARANTEE you that what that man was doing to his daughter was not "swats" on her arms and legs....

as to the rest of it.... jay brown has addressed it better than i could....

more reps owed once the rep fairy frees my wand......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 01:53 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Two or three swats is a spanking, the 18 whippings with a belt over a 5 minute period combined with all the swearing, how many times did he say F***, that makes it abuse. He took more then one break and came back for more, it started looking like he was enjoying it, deriving some kind of sadistic pleasure in the beating. That is what made it sick.

Old 11-04-2011, 02:20 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
those were NOT swats.... my brother and i both got swats on our butts growing up in the 60's and i can GUARANTEE you that what that man was doing to his daughter was not "swats" on her arms and legs....

as to the rest of it.... jay brown has addressed it better than i could....

more reps owed once the rep fairy frees my wand......
Can't wait for my reps!

Old 11-04-2011, 08:23 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,843,122 times
Thats abuse? Come on people...The father may have over did it a tad bit but I would consider that child abuse...the media loves drama and overhyping things...

Old 11-04-2011, 08:47 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,425,311 times
Yes, repeatedly whipping a 16-year-old girl with a leather belt while hurling obscenities at her is, by any definition, abuse.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:48 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Yes, repeatedly whipping a 16-year-old girl with a leather belt while hurling obscenities at her is, by any definition, abuse.
You're meaning to tell me I was abused and had no clue??? Talk about shocking revelations!

Anyways, more updates on this:

Quote:
The door is now closed on criminal charges in the case of an Aransas County judge caught on camera whipping his then teenage daughter with a belt. Federal prosecutors said there's no crime depicted on the 2004 video involving County Court-at-Law Judge William Adams.
But 48 hours after the video went viral, Hillary's dad released a three page statement saying his daughter only posted the video to get back at him for cutting her off financially and taking away her Mercedes.

Read more: Judge's Daughter: Beating Victim or Spoiled Brat? (http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/news/local/111104-judges-daughter-beating-victim-or-spoiled-brat#ixzz1cnskwxx2 - broken link)
Hmm......

Old 11-05-2011, 02:13 AM

200 posts, read 295,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
You're meaning to tell me I was abused and had no clue??? Talk about shocking revelations!

Anyways, more updates on this:

Hmm......
There was no reason for the feds to press charges because it was a domestic family issue which from what I understand is dealt by the state. Nothing the feds could really do. The county district attorney has said they would of press charges but could not because of the statute of limitations.

Link... (http://www.chron.com/news/article/US-attorney-no-federal-offense-in-Texas-beating-2249787.php - broken link)
Quote:
Aransas County District Attorney Patrick Flanigan said Thursday the statute of limitations on charges such as injury to a child expired after five years.
"I would expect that yeah, charges would have been pursued but for the inability to proceed due to the statute of limitations," Flanigan said Friday. "You know, whether that would have been a felony or a misdemeanor charge I can't say but I think there would've been some action pursued."
So according to the Aransas County District Attorney, a criminal offense did occur in that video to warrant legal action, which I agree with.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:18 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
What's the big deal? If she would have just laid across the bed, it wouldn't have been that bad. When i was a little kid, fighting just made it worse. I'd get in trouble, told to come to my room, mom or dad hit me a few times with the belt when I lay on my bed, tears flowed, I'd apologize, then continue being bad probably on that day.....maybe the next. Granted, I wasn't 16, nor do I have any disabilities.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:18 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
He enjoyed it numerous times, a disabled girl, for getting on a computer. Spare the rod, spoil the child, but this man took it overboard.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:56 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
He enjoyed it numerous times, a disabled girl, for getting on a computer. Spare the rod, spoil the child, but this man took it overboard.
It wasnt for "getting on the computer". Did look like he enjoyed it, kinda sick but the daughter wasn't an angel either. I've seen much worse than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas