Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 07:19 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,533,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
By contrast, both the overall population of Texas and individual Texans will display a much greater range of genetic input due to the overlap of inter-breeding gene pools.
Exactly, and that's why the fastest growing grouping on school registrations and surveys here in Texas is "Mixed." The old labels are increasingly irrelevant, as well as being inaccurate.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:01 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,298,441 times
I don't know, but growing up in Waco. Black/Hispanic relationships were VERY common.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:07 AM

4,726 posts, read 12,009,561 times
Demographics in TX have shifted and some of one's observations about this are going to be influenced by one's generational identity and the part of the State that one lives/lived in. Even as late as the early to mid-1970s when I was at UT-Austin, the Hispanic population in Austin was relatively small and mostly limited to a portion of the East Side; the African-American population seemed more prominent at the time. Hispanic Texas still started in those days at San Antonio. In the late 1950s when I was a child in Dallas there was a large Black population but extremely few Hispanics. The contrast was marked when we moved to Corpus Christi in 1960, with its very large Hispanic population. When I was in high school in Lubbock at the beginning of the 1970s, there was a significant Hispanic minority, while the African-American population was both smaller and more segregated, almost entirely living out on the eastern fringe of town far from the rest of the population.

Austin and all of Texas has become far more Hispanic over the past 30+ years, as has the US as a whole (including here in little ol' Delaware). The difference in the ethnic demographics was really apparent by the time my partner and I moved back there in 1985 after just a nine year hiatus.

Meanwhile the de facto segregation of African Americans has significantly lessened over the same period of time.

All of this obviously affects the social opportunities that people have to form relationships of whatever kind. Your personal experience and perceptions in this regard may depend a good deal on where you happened to be living when.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:17 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,382,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
In San Antonio, black male/Hispanic female couples are very common. Black females with any non-black male is a rare sight. I probably only see this coupling a few times a year.
EXACTLY what I was about to say.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:50 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,181,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
I can't imagine why it's important to you ?

TX is one of the most diverse and accepting states. There are many couples who date out side their heritage.
I'm a black male interested in women of color.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:51 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,181,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
I don't know, but growing up in Waco. Black/Hispanic relationships were VERY common.
Well not in North Carolina, excluding military bases.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:53 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,063,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
Some time ago, I created a thread titled "The best and worst cities for interracial dating and relationships in Texas," however, I did not get the answers that I desired. Nevertheless, I hate to "beat a dead horse" and bring up the interracial thing again, but I have another question concerning this issue.
In short, how common or uncommon do you see/observe black/non-black hispanic relationships (black male/non-black hispanic females or non-black hispanic males/black females throughout Texas?

**As a side note**I already know that there are many anglo (white)/hispanic relationships in Texas. So please, do not state the obvious.* Thanks.
There aren't a whole lot of Black/Hispanic relationships in Texas, but I have seen a few in my years so yes they can & do exist.

Hispanics usually stick to their own kind or date Caucasian Whites as a lot of them identify as being "White" on the census anyways even though they are really Hispanic, Mexican, Latino, Spanish, or what so ever.

As a general rule, Blacks & Hispanics don't get along too well anyways. Just go to places like California if you want to see real racial tension between the two groups.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 03-30-2012 at 09:03 PM..

Old 03-30-2012, 09:02 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,063,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
In San Antonio, black male/Hispanic female couples are very common. Black females with any non-black male is a rare sight. I probably only see this coupling a few times a year.
San Antonio is only 7% Black & a whopping 63% Hispanic not counting all of the illegals.

I don't see how in the world it could be that common of a sight down there unless its just that noticeable.

Every time I'm in SA I rarely even see a Black person.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:04 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,533,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
I'm a black male interested in women of color.
Good luck, sincerely. I hope you find what you are looking for.

Keep in mind, however, that sometimes... quite often, methinks... the people we most strongly connect with are the ones who surprise us in some way. There's more than a little truth to the old maxim "opposites attract." There's a completely adorable couple who recently moved in near me... she's black, he's white, they're obviously very much in love... when I asked how they first got together, they both just laughed and shook their heads. "We're still trying to figure that out," she replied.

The heart is a very mysterious, unpredictable place. Don't let expectations limit your life. Expectations are entirely based in the past, whereas life is only experienced in the present moment.

That will be 5 cents, please.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:37 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,382,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
As a general rule, Blacks & Hispanics don't get along too well anyways. Just go to places like California if you want to see real racial tension between the two groups.
That's California, but when has that ever been a major issue in Texas? Blacks and Hispanics are living side by side in virtually every city in this state, and I have yet to hear of any unusual problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
San Antonio is only 7% Black & a whopping 63% Hispanic not counting all of the illegals.

I don't see how in the world it could be that common of a sight down there unless its just that noticeable.

Every time I'm in SA I rarely even see a Black person.
Black male/Mexican female couples are common in San Antonio. I see several of the like, every time I visit SA. In a city where a majority of the women are Hispanic, and there are very few black women, this shouldn't come as a surprise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas