Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 10:33 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,524,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
San Antonio is only 7% Black & a whopping 63% Hispanic not counting all of the illegals.

I don't see how in the world it could be that common of a sight down there unless its just that noticeable.

Every time I'm in SA I rarely even see a Black person.
Even at 6.9% of the population, there are still around 90,000 black people in San Antonio not counting the surrounding cities. Most of the black people in SA are concentrated east of IH-35. So if you're in that area, they aren't hard to miss. They make up about 30% of the population in parts of the E/NE side. Whenever I see a black man coupled up with someone, there is a 50%+ chance he is with a non-black woman. When I was in a training class for a job, there were 4 black men in the class and the instructor was black. Not one of them was married to a black woman and they were all married.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:45 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,084,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
Even at 6.9% of the population, there are still around 90,000 black people in San Antonio not counting the surrounding cities. Most of the black people in SA are concentrated east of IH-35. So if you're in that area, they aren't hard to miss. They make up about 30% of the population in parts of the E/NE side. Whenever I see a black man coupled up with someone, there is a 50%+ chance he is with a non-black woman. When I was in a training class for a job, there were 4 black men in the class and the instructor was black. Not one of them was married to a black woman and they were all married.
SA has very large military bases. A lot of the Blacks in SA have served our country at one time or another. Makes perfect sense they would call SA home & date Hispanic women who represent the majority-minority of the population.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:17 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,543,878 times
Hispanic and Latino is not even a race, it's an ethnicity. A Hispanic person can be of any "race" -- white, black, brown, Asian, and anything inbetween. Most people default and think of all Hispanics as mestizos as their race just because they're the majority in Central Latin America.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:24 AM

4,726 posts, read 12,018,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
Hispanic and Latino is not even a race, it's an ethnicity. A Hispanic person can be of any "race" -- white, black, brown, Asian, and anything inbetween. Most people default and think of all Hispanics as mestizos as their race just because they're the majority in Central Latin America.
This is absolutely true, of course. In a Texas context my inaccurate default designation is "Hispanic", because that's what the common parlance in Austin was during the many years I lived there (I'm old enough to recall the temporary ascendency of the term "Chicano" as well, which really is a more specific designation for Mexican-American). I think "Hispanic" also became default due to the awkwardness of "Mexican-American". In the Northeast US, where the Hispanic population historically has been mostly Puerto Rican, the common term is usually "Latino" (persons of Mexican and Central American origins have only had any significant presence in this part of the country in fairly recent years).

I think, however, we are not talking here about persons with Hispanic surnames, per the US Census Bureau, but in a Texas context largely of persons of Tejano or Mexican origins primarily and hence generally having mestizo genetic and cultural inputs.

All this points up the tiresome awkwardness of classifying individuals in terms of ethnicity. There are a lot of issues here - cultural, historical, political, sociological - that are valid and important subjects for examination and which go way beyond a specifically Texas context.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:04 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,543,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
All this points up the tiresome awkwardness of classifying individuals in terms of ethnicity. There are a lot of issues here - cultural, historical, political, sociological - that are valid and important subjects for examination and which go way beyond a specifically Texas context.

Very true, I agree. And people get way too hung up on trying to classify everyone and collectively group people into bubbles.

I've shared a couple of awkward moments with people who did not know that my blue-eyed, fair-skinned wife is actually Hispanic until after they have made some kind of derrogatory anti-Mexican/immigrant comment around us. That's always fun. Both of her parents are from Mexico.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:17 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,564,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
Very true, I agree. And people get way too hung up on trying to classify everyone and collectively group people into bubbles.
Thank you. That's exactly the point I was trying to make.

Old 04-01-2012, 04:58 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,284,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
Well not in North Carolina, excluding military bases.
We moved from TX to NC a few years ago. Ended up in Holly Springs. One of the things we immediately noticed was that the area was much more segregated then what we were used to. You probably know about the huge problem win Wake ISD and busing. I also noticed how few black families were in our neighborhood compared to the overall population of that little town. We returned to SA quickly and I was so loved to sit at my first school function here and see the racial diversity despite the fact that I live out in Stone Oak which is considered "affluent".

I know interracial couples personally and see many at my church of all shades and combos. I can't guarantee you wouldn't run up against a few people with issues but overall I think you will be pleasantly surprised especially somewhere like SA with such a large military presence.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:56 PM

563 posts, read 913,415 times
I've never truly thought about it until I read this post. In Houston I see Black/Mexican (Venezuelan, Colombian, Costa Rican...) couples every day. I guess that's to be expected from the most diverse city in Texas. Actually, according to a recently released Rice University study, Houston is now the most racially/ethnically diverse metro area in the country.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:28 PM

1,512 posts, read 8,186,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileDave View Post
I've never truly thought about it until I read this post. In Houston I see Black/Mexican (Venezuelan, Colombian, Costa Rican...) couples every day. I guess that's to be expected from the most diverse city in Texas. Actually, according to a recently released Rice University study, Houston is now the most racially/ethnically diverse metro area in the country.
I doubt Houston is the most diverse in the nation, but since Rice University is located in this city, I can see how and why it would tout this.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:37 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,324,450 times
rep:
Quote:
is the mentality: If I type an untruth then fingers crossed the young people reading this will assume it's factual & they'll go running into this kind of paring? Lol, In my 2 yrs in Waco I saw this once. VERY common, LMAO!
At least leave your name so I can know who I'm addressing.

Perhaps you haven't noticed, but it's very common for my experience. I went to a relatively diverse school and latino/black relations were pretty common and nothing seen as unordinary. Perhaps you have a different view of things, but I have mine and I know what I've seen.

Examples: My nephew is mixed with Puerto Rican and Black. My cousin has three children with a Mexican girl. My neighbors were an interracial couple [Mexican and black], our homecoming king and queen [couple] were Venezuelan and black. My godparents are a mixed couple [PR and Black]. I could go on and on.

You lived in Waco for 2 years; I've lived there for 18.

I have no reason to lie about race relations in Texas. You may be part of the older generation; which is completely different from my generation in terms of lifestyles, mindsent and views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas