Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 04:09 AM

4 posts, read 23,910 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm considering buying a second home (maybe even relocating) to the Rio Grande Valley. I'm originally from NY, but have lived most of my life in New England.

Incidentally, I have a master's degree from the Univ. of TX, and am married to a native Texan (many generations of his family were navite to Houston).

Where are the synagogues? What is the non-religious/ social Jewish community like. I like Harlingen, Brownsville, and might also consider the more touristy, South Padre Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 06:04 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,334,402 times
For your sake, I hope that the Jewish community has grown in the past 8 years since we left the Valley. If I recall correctly, there was only one or possibly two synagogues in the entire region, and some families would drive an hour or more one way just to attend services. When we lived there, there was widespread ignorance about Jewish beliefs, customs and traditions, and although there were some Jewish families who had lived there for generations, they were a tiny, tiny minority in the area. It is an enormous challenge to live in a region where you feel eternally alien and different from the vast majority of residents. I wish you luck.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:46 AM
RGV

570 posts, read 3,221,364 times
Hi Zabka,

Contact the Temple Bethel in Brownsville; they may be able to help you out:

Temple Bethel
24 Coveway St
Brownsville, TX 78521
Phone: (956) 542-5263

Old 09-17-2007, 12:20 PM

3,494 posts, read 14,379,719 times
enormous challenge is almost an understatement. i am labeled an "anglo" here and treated differently. i could not even imagine if i were jewish on top of that! it is VERY hispanic and VERY Catholic everywhere in South Texas...i have felt VERY culturally isolated here. glad to say that i have a month or less here and have done my time...a year wasted of my life, but will try not to look back

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
For your sake, I hope that the Jewish community has grown in the past 8 years since we left the Valley. If I recall correctly, there was only one or possibly two synagogues in the entire region, and some families would drive an hour or more one way just to attend services. When we lived there, there was widespread ignorance about Jewish beliefs, customs and traditions, and although there were some Jewish families who had lived there for generations, they were a tiny, tiny minority in the area. It is an enormous challenge to live in a region where you feel eternally alien and different from the vast majority of residents. I wish you luck.

Old 09-17-2007, 12:25 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,007,817 times
I had some Jewish friends when I lived in Brownsville and Temple Beth El had a small but close-knit community. (It's rather hard to find the synagogue as it's tucked behind the fire station off Paredes Line Road or Old Port Isabel Road, can't remember which one as it's been about 10 years since I visited.)

It's an interesting group, too, because some of the prominent families are from South America. Eva Silberman and her husband were quite active in the community and came from Argentina, where the family settled after fleeing the Holocaust. Lovely lady with many interesting stories to tell.

They went through a few rabbis after their long-time, popular rabbi moved on so I'm not sure how active the community is now. They used to be involved in city health projects (through Hadassah) and interfaith activities but that seemed to wane after Rabbi Ed left.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:02 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,563,825 times
In my honest opinion, it makes about as much sense for a Jew to move to the Valley as it does for a Mexican to move to Israel. And I am speaking purely in the cultural sense. I am Catholic but do have blood relatives that are Jewish. I taught in the Valley and spoke about these relatives during the holidays. Next thing I knew, kids were saying some pretty ignorant things about Jews. It wasn't their fault as they were in 6th grade and know nothing about religion except for Catholicism and Christianity. It turns out my teaching partner was telling the kids that I was not going to go to heaven because of my Jewish relatives. I of course was outraged and told the principal. She told me more or less to suck it up. I now live and teach in Houston. I say you gotta be meshugena to want to live in the Valley anyways, Jew, Catholic or tree worshiper.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:45 PM

56 posts, read 187,760 times
There's a synagogue in McAllen.
Temple Emanuel, McAllen, TX - Home

Old 09-18-2007, 12:05 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,950,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
In my honest opinion, it makes about as much sense for a Jew to move to the Valley as it does for a Mexican to move to Israel. And I am speaking purely in the cultural sense. I am Catholic but do have blood relatives that are Jewish. I taught in the Valley and spoke about these relatives during the holidays. Next thing I knew, kids were saying some pretty ignorant things about Jews. It wasn't their fault as they were in 6th grade and know nothing about religion except for Catholicism and Christianity. It turns out my teaching partner was telling the kids that I was not going to go to heaven because of my Jewish relatives. I of course was outraged and told the principal. She told me more or less to suck it up. I now live and teach in Houston. I say you gotta be meshugena to want to live in the Valley anyways, Jew, Catholic or tree worshiper.
we are pagan and have absolutely no problem living in the valley.

Old 09-18-2007, 03:15 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,563,825 times
Pagan is not Jewish. Many Valley residents see Jews at the ultimate Christ killers. And as far as religion goes, the religious right in the Valley is about as right as you get. You'd be much better off as any religion but Jewish, or no religion whatsoever.

Old 09-26-2007, 06:53 AM

189 posts, read 914,791 times
While I have not lived in Brownsville for many, many years, I do have positive memories of the respect between the religions there. My Sunday school class would be invited to visit Temple Beth-El. The Rabbi would give us a tour of the beautiful old building and let us catch glimpses of the Torah. It gave me a feeling of the continuity between the religions that stays with me today.

While there were not that many Jewish families in Brownsville when I was growing up, one of my best friends in elementary school was Jewish. I and some of my other friends really envied her Hanukkah. Childish behavior, I know.

I have not seen the new Temple building. The old one I was very familiar with, both from my visits inside and the fact that the old building was on a street that we had to drive down to get to our home when we lived on West Park drive. I would think that the old building would carry some type of a historical maker, if it still stands.

According to the new Temple's website, that building was dedicated in August of 1989. When the congregation walked the Torahs from the old location to the new Temple on that Sunday, they were served refreshments by local churches. I hope that spirit continues on today.

Here is there website http://betheltx.tripod.com/index.htm

I would suggest contacting them directly for current information since some of what's on the website isn't current.

I am also giving you the website address of a page in the Handbook of Texas Online. This gives a brief history of one of the most beloved and respected citizens of Brownsville, Mr. Sam Perl. My father would buy his clothes from no one else because of the trust he had in Mr. Perl and his brother.

Handbook of Texas Online:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas