Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 07:19 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,459,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
A whole lot of working taxpaying types drive cars much cheaper than $8,000 -- it really doesn't seem right for those on welfare handouts to be driving the more expensive cars while those who head to work are driving the $600 clunkers.
Be nice. The OP is obviously in a tough situation, and she was clear she doesn't own the car, it's just being loaned to her. Others have pointed out that according to the rules, if that's her only transportation that should not have disqualified her kids from receiving Medicaid.

The next question is, what can she do next? I don't know. Who does?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 08:39 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,886,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
A whole lot of working taxpaying types drive cars much cheaper than $8,000 -- it really doesn't seem right for those on welfare handouts to be driving the more expensive cars while those who head to work are driving the $600 clunkers.
I very much agree with this!

I pay for my own health insurance, and it's not cheap, with a very high deductible.

Medicaid as it is is unsustainable, and it's not to be confused with Medicare.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:44 PM

28 posts, read 36,931 times
OP, are you qualified for CHIP now?

Old 06-05-2012, 06:24 PM

123 posts, read 258,189 times
Some people can't get health insurance unless their job offers a group plan and even then it may be very expensive. Surely no one would begrudge children being able to obtain basic medical care. It's very difficult to obtain individual private policies for your children, especially when you're currently unemployed.

If it were me, I'd continue looking for a job, one that provides health insurance or at least pays enough for you to purchase individual plans for your children. In the meantime, you can appeal the decision based on the fact that your only car is not supposed to count against you, or put the children on CHIP.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:28 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,777,261 times
I have a question. Do the public schools not offer a insurance plan for kids now? They use to and it was not confined to any income level, any kid in school was eligible for it. You had a choice, one just covered them for school hours and school sponsored events, the other covered them 24 hours a day and I think it went from year to year instead of just the 9 months of school. It was designed to be more of a supplemental insurance, but it is still better than nothing. I would take it out because my kids both played sports and I thought it was a good deal as it was reasonable and didn't break the bank

This was a while back and it might not be offered now, but if it is, this is an option for the OP. Of course I remember it was offered at the beginning of the school year, so it wouldn't be available now until next fall.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:57 PM

123 posts, read 258,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
I have a question. Do the public schools not offer a insurance plan for kids now? They use to and it was not confined to any income level, any kid in school was eligible for it. You had a choice, one just covered them for school hours and school sponsored events, the other covered them 24 hours a day and I think it went from year to year instead of just the 9 months of school. It was designed to be more of a supplemental insurance, but it is still better than nothing. I would take it out because my kids both played sports and I thought it was a good deal as it was reasonable and didn't break the bank

This was a while back and it might not be offered now, but if it is, this is an option for the OP. Of course I remember it was offered at the beginning of the school year, so it wouldn't be available now until next fall.

To my knowledge our schools did not. I don't know about other schools. I remember that when I was a kid though.

Old 06-06-2012, 08:08 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,373,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar Willie View Post
SOO many self rightous folks out here I see. I'm glad YOU can pay for health insurance, MANY folks can't. Be very gratefull as SOMEDAY you may not be able to afford it either.
Let me also point out that she mentions she owns a house and has equity in it. When my husband walked out on me and my kids, I looked into getting medicaid for them and was told they were disqualified because I owned my home. Actually, I didn't own it, but it did have a small amount(2000 dollars) of equity in it. Did those rules change in the last 10 years? So, you know what I did? I went out and got a job as a school bus driver. They are always hiring because it is a hard job and turnover is frequent. Benefits are good and I was earning my own money.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:09 PM

5,265 posts, read 6,414,093 times
The current median sales price of a new car is 3.5X $8000 in the US and people are resentful of those on welfare. That's nuts! I think that shows that you both have gotten a raw deal, and that your anger is aimed in the incorrect direction. You are angry at someone getting free cheese, and there are restaurants in every major city in the US where a select few can spend $8000 on a single meal for one person. Did the person eating that meal really get 'worked like an army mule' harder than you? Are they that much smarter or luckier than you? When the majority of Americans wake up and realize how rotten they have it, there is going to be one crazy revolution.

To the OP: spend some time talking to someone else at the benefits center to get this all figured out. You may have to call several times. If that fails, you will need to get the title into the correct person's name, but that will cost more money and require more documentation.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:24 PM

286 posts, read 570,087 times
You know, a bunch of people in Hollywood just spent $40,000 a plate to have dinner with the president, while this person can't get a helping hand because of her car (and likely other things, there has to be more to this story).
Just shows you that the political group that likes giving handouts doesn't really care about helping the poor, just helping them stay poor and keep voting for them.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:39 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,777,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colcat View Post
I went out and got a job as a school bus driver. They are always hiring because it is a hard job and turnover is frequent. Benefits are good and I was earning my own money.
I think this is the most helpful post so far in this thread, yet no one has commented on it. I think it is an excellent solution to the OP's request.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: