Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 07:35 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post
I have a question. Do the public schools not offer a insurance plan for kids now? They use to and it was not confined to any income level, any kid in school was eligible for it. You had a choice, one just covered them for school hours and school sponsored events, the other covered them 24 hours a day and I think it went from year to year instead of just the 9 months of school. It was designed to be more of a supplemental insurance, but it is still better than nothing. I would take it out because my kids both played sports and I thought it was a good deal as it was reasonable and didn't break the bank

This was a while back and it might not be offered now, but if it is, this is an option for the OP. Of course I remember it was offered at the beginning of the school year, so it wouldn't be available now until next fall.
Texas has the very large CHIPS program. It's the Medicaid program that has a very small monthly payment of $25 and is for low income people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 07:49 AM

622 posts, read 1,723,628 times
Why does everyone assume the OP isn't working? Last I looked, Medicaid was for low-income too, not just no-income.

Anyway, OP I poked around a bit for you and found this link to CHIP. It says on the front page that $50 a year or less covers all your kids and most families pay nothing:

CHIP | Children's Medicaid

I hope this helps.

Last edited by Minathebrat; 06-08-2012 at 07:51 AM.. Reason: spellcheck

Old 06-08-2012, 05:34 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,770,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minathebrat View Post
Why does everyone assume the OP isn't working?
No assumptions here, the OP said in her first post she is looking for employment.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:35 AM

622 posts, read 1,723,628 times
Quote:
No assumptions here, the OP said in her first post she is looking for employment.
Ah. I overlooked that part.

I guess I was just getting bristly because being short and saying "Get a job" really isn't that helpful. It's tough out there. I don't think judging is constructive nor caring.

This system that penalizes people for getting a hand-up is so frustrating!!! Why should a working car disqualify you from medical attention? It's not like the car will heal you if you're sick. The car can help her get real medical coverage not on the state's dime by helping her get a real job..but yet they are making her consider giving it up. Are they trying to help people get off welfare or permanently keep them there? I seriously wonder.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:01 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,746,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerzstyle00 View Post
Yes its my primary and ONLY vehicle. And I explained that to the rep. But she did explained it does not matter if its the only vehicle i had its still an asset?
So what are you doing with the car? Going to work? Going back to school?

How are you paying for gas? Who is paying car insurance?

Old 05-29-2013, 06:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,253 times
Please don't let the turkeys who wrote negative things get you down. If you do indeed still owe your relative the $8,000 for the vehicle, you should get it in writing and reapply with that information included. Only the part you have paid should count against you as an asset, just like when a car is bought from a car dealership. You have been discriminated against and should appeal if denied again for the same reason.

Legal Aid might help with an appeal, but I'm not sure if they do social services appeals. You can google or bing search for the vehicle value allowed in order to qualify for medicaid with the name of your state included, because the rules vary by state. Meanwhile there may be free dental care available to your children through your local health department, but only on certain days can you apply if it's like it is in my town. Vaccinations may be free at the health department and hospitals are legally required to take children for urgent care regardless of ability to pay.

As for all the heartless miserly people who want this woman's children to go without medical care, "SHAME ON YOU!!!" This woman's childrens' generation will be the one's paying for YOUR social security checks which the people YOU VOTED FOR squandered with all the assets this country used to have.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:37 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,441,266 times
Quote:
I have a question. Do the public schools not offer a insurance plan for kids now? They use to and it was not confined to any income level, any kid in school was eligible for it. You had a choice, one just covered them for school hours and school sponsored events, the other covered them 24 hours a day and I think it went from year to year instead of just the 9 months of school. It was designed to be more of a supplemental insurance, but it is still better than nothing. I would take it out because my kids both played sports and I thought it was a good deal as it was reasonable and didn't break the bank

This was a while back and it might not be offered now, but if it is, this is an option for the OP. Of course I remember it was offered at the beginning of the school year, so it wouldn't be available now until next fall.
LOL are you talking about Commiefornia or something? This is Texas. We don't insure children for free, they should buy their own insurance.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:15 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,949,008 times
Any particular reason this zombie thread was resurrected after almost a year?

Old 05-31-2013, 09:08 AM

847 posts, read 1,751,327 times
i'm curious if the OP has a job now.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: