Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 05:24 PM

2 posts, read 8,547 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone: My family and I are moving to mcallen this coming november. We are from Monterrey, Mexico but we have lived in Cinncinati and in Indianapolis for the last 9-10 years. Being so far away from our families and friends we decided to move closer Monterrey is a 3-hr drive from mcallen). However, even though I know mcallen (shopping there is very common for people in Mty), I had never stayed there for more than 2 days and we are not sure where to live. My husband got a very good offer as a physician (the offices and clinic are in Donna) and I will be looking for a position
too. Does anybody have a recommendation? Also, I'm trying to register my son (1 grade) in a school called Oratory which is in Pharr, does anybody knows anything about the school? I like it because is bilingual and it is supposed to be very good academically. I'd appreciate anyone's help.
Thanks, Patricia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 06:38 PM
RGV

570 posts, read 3,221,942 times
Hey Belle, teatime and crgvrgv/r2d2, or whatever your name is, here's your chance to pounce on the valley again.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:00 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,568,283 times
No need to pounce. Somebody from Monterrey knows what's up in the Valley. In fact one thing I learned living in the Valley is that many Nationals seem to really look down on Valley folk. My wife would always point it out and it took me awhile to realize it, but it's true. McAllen is hands down the best ISD in the Valley. There is no other public ISD comparable to McAllen. For the love of God do NOT send your children to schools anywhere near Donna. I would stick with either McAllen, the Oratory or IDEA/Quest Academy. As for living in McAllen, I think your best bet with a high income is along Col Rowe (2nd St.) between Dove and Owassa. Make sure the address is zoned for McAllen ISD and not Edinburg ISD as Edinburg schools are hit or miss. If you are looking more mid-sized, middle income there are many nice neighborhoods West of 10th St between Pecan and Nolana. And if you want an old fixer upper, look just north of the old downtown. I really don't think the entire Valley is bad, RGV however I do believe the stupid are in charge and the wise have no voice. Guess it reminds me of my hometown of Chicago.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:07 PM
RGV

570 posts, read 3,221,942 times
One thing I must agree with, the stupid are in charge. Hate to say it, but one of those stupids is my cousin in the Brownsville City Commission.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:44 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,336,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Somebody from Monterrey knows what's up in the Valley.
Very true, and even more important, the culture shock that so many experience in moving there should not be a problem.

I've had a few things to say about how much we disliked living in the RGV, but at the same time I recognize that the biggest problem was that we had very little in common with the cultural norms and expectations that are present there. That's not to say that the Valley's norms are "wrong", or "right", for that matter; they were just different from ours, and I guess we weren't flexible enough to adapt to them. I know that many, many people love living there, and really, isn't that what this forum is all about? It gives us a chance to get a glimpse of what life is like in a different community/state/culture.

Our experience with schools in McAllen is close to a decade old at this point, but I can tell you that when we lived there, Garza Elementary and De Leon Middle School were both good schools. Both had principals who were fair-minded, tough when they needed to be, but very approachable, and always on the lookout for what was best for the students. There were some teachers that were less than stellar (there are anywhere), but by and large, I think those two schools were among the better ones in the area.

For high schools, I'd suggest staying away from Memorial. Unless the district boundaries have changed a lot, that's where most of the really rich students went (and "really rich" is no exaggeration: the student parking lot was full of Beemers and Jags), and the emphasis was more on what you had than on what you learned. McHi was good, Nikki Rowe was still pretty new when we lived there but was gaining a decent reputation.

We lived in the northern end of McAllen (or what was the northern end at the time; I've heard that the city has extended quite a ways further since we left), and it was not a bad part of town to live. I guess the only real drawback that I saw to that area compared to the more mature neighborhoods in the midsection of the city was that there were a lot of farm fields very close to our neighborhood, and our house and yard would get sprayed by the stuff that the cropdusters would use on the fields. We had a hard time getting anything but palm trees to grow in our yard because of the defoliants they'd spray on the cotton fields.

Good luck, and I hope that you get to spend lots more time with family! Family was what took us to the Valley, and family is what brought us back to the Midwest, so I can completely understand that kind of motivator. I hope it's a good fit all the way around.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:42 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,011,851 times
RGV,
I've decided to let them find out for themselves.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:09 PM

RGV, I think mainly urban types have a hard time living in the Valley. It is not at all diverse and you have to drive everywhere. Also, it's not very open-minded. It has more of a small town mentality. And I don't think MidwesternBookWorm could have put it any better. It is hard for many to adapt to the cultural norms. The Valley really is its own culture. My wife is a Mexican-American from Weslaco and everyone in her huge Mexican family still lives in the Valley, except for her, her sister and one of her cousins. They are very Americanized. Different strokes for different strokes I suppose.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:53 AM

2 posts, read 8,421 times
I will stay away from politics and life in the valley and just answer your question Patricia.

Depending on where you decide to live, you can go to public school or not. McAllen ISD is by far your best bet. I have nieces and nephews that go to Gonzalez Elementary and very happy with that school. Oratory is a good school, but VERY demanding. Not just something you would want for good academics, but much worst. I have a friend who worked there for a semester, and could not take it any more. She went in as a substitute math teacher, and ended up teaching all grades from 3rd to 8th, just because they didn't want to hire another teacher. She also said that kids actually have to go to the doctor because they are stressed. Another friend had both children (grades 2nd and 4th) there for a semester, and said they would have to stay up late every night working on homework, and that both kids were stressed. I would stay away from Oratory.

An excellent choice is the charter schools of the IDEA school system. They have one in Donna and one in McAllen. With charter schools, your zoned district really doesn't matter, anyone can attend.

My daughter goes to IDEA Quest in McAllen and I LOVE it. The school is focused on academics and discipline. It is learner-centered, inquiry and research-based. I think that in time, these schools will change the culture of the valley. I just love it and can't say enough good things about it. This is their site:

http://www.ideapublicschools.com

Depending on where you want to live, you can choose a school that is close to you.

As far as where to live, North McAllen or the new Sharyland development area are your best bets.

Last edited by valleymom; 10-30-2007 at 12:54 PM..

Old 10-30-2007, 05:39 PM

I agree with Valleymom. My daughter attended Quest (IDEA) last year. She attends an exemplary school in Houston now and Quest was much better. McAllen is a great ISD. Besides Harlingen, probably the only public ISD that should be considered is McAllen. Sharyland and Edinburg are much less impressive than everyone makes them out to be.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:25 AM

5 posts, read 17,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
Very true, and even more important, the culture shock that so many experience in moving there should not be a problem.

I've had a few things to say about how much we disliked living in the RGV, but at the same time I recognize that the biggest problem was that we had very little in common with the cultural norms and expectations that are present there. That's not to say that the Valley's norms are "wrong", or "right", for that matter; they were just different from ours, and I guess we weren't flexible enough to adapt to them. I know that many, many people love living there, and really, isn't that what this forum is all about? It gives us a chance to get a glimpse of what life is like in a different community/state/culture.

Our experience with schools in McAllen is close to a decade old at this point, but I can tell you that when we lived there, Garza Elementary and De Leon Middle School were both good schools. Both had principals who were fair-minded, tough when they needed to be, but very approachable, and always on the lookout for what was best for the students. There were some teachers that were less than stellar (there are anywhere), but by and large, I think those two schools were among the better ones in the area.

For high schools, I'd suggest staying away from Memorial. Unless the district boundaries have changed a lot, that's where most of the really rich students went (and "really rich" is no exaggeration: the student parking lot was full of Beemers and Jags), and the emphasis was more on what you had than on what you learned. McHi was good, Nikki Rowe was still pretty new when we lived there but was gaining a decent reputation.

We lived in the northern end of McAllen (or what was the northern end at the time; I've heard that the city has extended quite a ways further since we left), and it was not a bad part of town to live. I guess the only real drawback that I saw to that area compared to the more mature neighborhoods in the midsection of the city was that there were a lot of farm fields very close to our neighborhood, and our house and yard would get sprayed by the stuff that the cropdusters would use on the fields. We had a hard time getting anything but palm trees to grow in our yard because of the defoliants they'd spray on the cotton fields.

Good luck, and I hope that you get to spend lots more time with family! Family was what took us to the Valley, and family is what brought us back to the Midwest, so I can completely understand that kind of motivator. I hope it's a good fit all the way around.

McAllen ISD has in fact changed their zoning and Memorial and McHi are about the same. There really is no "rich" school anymore. They are all pretty equal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas