Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 09:08 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,576,108 times

Advertisements

I have no doubt that people in Houston might think that it's a rivalry, but those people in Houston are wrong. Cowboys and Texans fans in the Austin area definitely root for each other if they're not playing against each other. It's the classic little brother/big brother complex. The Cowboys just don't care about their little brother in Houston and therefore it can't be a rivalry. Both teams have to care more about the game for it be a rivalry. With that said, as long as they stay healthy, the Texans are better than the Cowboys on paper this year and are being picked to be in the SuperBowl by a lot of experts.

The Chargers and the Raiders are in the same state and are definitely rivals. The Chargers and the 49ers are in the same state and definitely are not rivals. Just because the teams are in the same state, it doesn't constitute a rivalry. Cal football and Stanford football are rivals. Fresno State football and Stanford football are not rivals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2012, 09:19 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,914,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
I have no doubt that people in Houston might think that it's a rivalry, but those people in Houston are wrong. Cowboys and Texans fans in the Austin area definitely root for each other if they're not playing against each other. It's the classic little brother/big brother complex. The Cowboys just don't care about their little brother in Houston and therefore it can't be a rivalry. Both teams have to care more about the game for it be a rivalry. With that said, as long as they stay healthy, the Texans are better than the Cowboys on paper this year and are being picked to be in the SuperBowl by a lot of experts.

The Chargers and the Raiders are in the same state and are definitely rivals. The Chargers and the 49ers are in the same state and definitely are not rivals. Just because the teams are in the same state, it doesn't constitute a rivalry. Cal football and Stanford football are rivals. Fresno State football and Stanford football are not rivals.
I knew an Angelino in high school who was a Raider Fan. He said that anytime a group of Raider fans saw just ONE Charger fan, they'd gang up on him. Charger fans did (somewhat) the same thing. Needless to say, I believed him.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:40 AM

2,057 posts, read 3,870,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Both sides are being adamant forcing people to accept every bit of what is being said. You think there is rivalry there. Both of us don't. You've been adamant on the topic longer than I have. I only added my opinion on the subject. So I'll move on, but you take your own advice as well.
I was only adamant on it as much as trying to prove why I thought they were a rivalry. I wasn't adamant scrutinizing your reasoning as much as you and JJG were about me. Face it. You guys seemed pretty upset about it... and I don't know why. If there is no such thing as a rivalry, not one thing at all, not even the slightest than that's just weird that you guys cared enough to prove there was none even if there actually was no rivalry at all.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:32 AM

286 posts, read 407,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
Yes, much like the Spurs fans arguing with Suns fans that there is no rivalry. There indeed was a rivalry between Spurs and Suns. Though I'd say Cowboys and Texans aren't as big of a rivalry. The fact that you question the thought of Texans and Cowboys being a rivalry is indicative of something. It indicates some sort of disdain towards the Texans as if they aren't "worthy" in a sense to be considered a rivalry, in very much the same attitude that Paul Pierce took to the Knicks.

Texans fans hate us Cowboys fans and we Cowboys fans are trying to downplay it a little bit, you know, suggesting that everybody hates us. Believe me, no one hates the Cowboys as much as Texans fans outside of the NFC East Division.

Now you're finally getting it.

I agree with this.

There is no rivalry, I repeat no rivalry with the Texans bro. Trust me. Cowboy fans root for the Texans. Cowboy fans root for the Redskins, Eagles, Giants and Packers starting QB's to break an ankle. Try building a history first before arguing with Cowboy fans on why there is a rivalry.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:52 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,561,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
I was only adamant on it as much as trying to prove why I thought they were a rivalry. I wasn't adamant scrutinizing your reasoning as much as you and JJG were about me. Face it. You guys seemed pretty upset about it... and I don't know why. If there is no such thing as a rivalry, not one thing at all, not even the slightest than that's just weird that you guys cared enough to prove there was none even if there actually was no rivalry at all.
And there you still go trying to play the innocent one acting like you wasn't arguing back and forth with us. You have your reason, we gave ours. Nobody was upset. It was a discussion. I don't know what you're trying to play.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:20 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,758,146 times
There is no rivalry between the Texans and Cowboys among Cowboys fans anways.

Im a big Cowboys fan and I think of the Texans in the same boat as the Chiefs, the Seahawks, or the Jaguars. None the above are teams that I feel anything one way or the other about. They arent even in the same conference.

My disdain is reserved for the Giants, Eagles, and Redskins. Those are the teams for whom the Cowboys have a real rivalry with. As far as the Texans are concerned, if they do well thats great. If they dont, whatever.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:58 PM

725 posts, read 1,241,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
There is no rivalry between the Texans and Cowboys among Cowboys fans anways.

Im a big Cowboys fan and I think of the Texans in the same boat as the Chiefs, the Seahawks, or the Jaguars. None the above are teams that I feel anything one way or the other about. They arent even in the same conference.

My disdain is reserved for the Giants, Eagles, and Redskins. Those are the teams for whom the Cowboys have a real rivalry with. As far as the Texans are concerned, if they do well thats great. If they dont, whatever.
Iunno man. I tend to believe that wearing a Jaguars tee shirt or jersey around north Dallas wouldn't elicit the same response as when I wore a Texans tee around north Dallas. Mostly good fun little brother/y'all still ain't s***/Cowboys are Texas team type stuff. The waiter at Houlihan's even found it necessary to let me know that in the Cowboys first 10 years they won a championship whereas the Texans hadn't even (at that time) made the playoffs. I found it fun since I'm always down for sports banter and trash talk when you're talking Astros, Rangers, Texans, Rockets, Longhorns, or Dynamo.

Feel free to correct me if you think Jaguars fans would have gotten the same responses. I'll be the first to admit that maybe rivalry isn't the best term, but to say that Dallas fans barely even know we exist is a bit out there. I'm just sayin...

In Austin, it was different. When I lived there all of the Texans and Cowboys fans were pretty koombayahish and got along fine. I honestly think there's two distinct types of Cowboys fans. The first type is the arrogant, chest-beating type that constantly brags about the Cowboys despite them sucking for the last 15 years and talks down on all teams (including the Texans, who may or may not get it worse than other teams). The second type are the pragmatic fans who love the Cowboys, but recognize they aren't likely to win anything in the near future and likely root for the Texans somewhat out of frustration. Those are probably the type that many posters here are and may be blissfully unaware that the reason that the Cowboys are so polarizing is the existence of millions of fans of the first type all over the country (not just in Texas).

I'll say this too - it's easy for DFW to like the Texans at this point in time because they have represented no threat to the Cowboys in any way, shape or form. Of course you have nothing against a team that poses no threat to you in popularity, competitiveness, or even bragging rights. Even at this point, with the small measures of success had over the past year, they still represent no threat to anything Cowboys. I'd be willing to bet anyone money that a lot of those feelings will change when the Texans have real success. Should the Texans win the Super Bowl this year or in the near future, and the Cowboys don't, that supposed lovefest in North Texas will end very quickly, trust.

At that point, whether or not it is or is not some semblance of a rivalry (regardless of how you define the term) will be beyond debate. Right now though, it's a debatable topic mainly because the Cowboys fanbase is by no means homogenous on where they stand. I've talked to Cowboys fans who feel both ways (all over the country) and I think it represents a very real split within the fanbase.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:57 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,914,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdonjuan View Post
Iunno man. I tend to believe that wearing a Jaguars tee shirt or jersey around north Dallas wouldn't elicit the same response as when I wore a Texans tee around north Dallas. Mostly good fun little brother/y'all still ain't s***/Cowboys are Texas team type stuff. The waiter at Houlihan's even found it necessary to let me know that in the Cowboys first 10 years they won a championship whereas the Texans hadn't even (at that time) made the playoffs. I found it fun since I'm always down for sports banter and trash talk when you're talking Astros, Rangers, Texans, Rockets, Longhorns, or Dynamo.

Feel free to correct me if you think Jaguars fans would have gotten the same responses. I'll be the first to admit that maybe rivalry isn't the best term, but to say that Dallas fans barely even know we exist is a bit out there. I'm just sayin...
Plain and simple: No one cares if you wear Jaguars stuff up here....

Old 08-30-2012, 03:00 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,758,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdonjuan View Post

In Austin, it was different. When I lived there all of the Texans and Cowboys fans were pretty koombayahish and got along fine. I honestly think there's two distinct types of Cowboys fans. The first type is the arrogant, chest-beating type that constantly brags about the Cowboys despite them sucking for the last 15 years and talks down on all teams (including the Texans, who may or may not get it worse than other teams). The second type are the pragmatic fans who love the Cowboys, but recognize they aren't likely to win anything in the near future and likely root for the Texans somewhat out of frustration. Those are probably the type that many posters here are and may be blissfully unaware that the reason that the Cowboys are so polarizing is the existence of millions of fans of the first type all over the country (not just in Texas).

I'll say this too - it's easy for DFW to like the Texans at this point in time because they have represented no threat to the Cowboys in any way, shape or form. Of course you have nothing against a team that poses no threat to you in popularity, competitiveness, or even bragging rights. Even at this point, with the small measures of success had over the past year, they still represent no threat to anything Cowboys. I'd be willing to bet anyone money that a lot of those feelings will change when the Texans have real success. Should the Texans win the Super Bowl this year or in the near future, and the Cowboys don't, that supposed lovefest in North Texas will end very quickly, trust.

At that point, whether or not it is or is not some semblance of a rivalry (regardless of how you define the term) will be beyond debate. Right now though, it's a debatable topic mainly because the Cowboys fanbase is by no means homogenous on where they stand. I've talked to Cowboys fans who feel both ways (all over the country) and I think it represents a very real split within the fanbase.
Im not talking specifically about people in DFW, but rather Cowboys fans in general. In my bowling league, we have a lot of people from Houston who cover themselves head to toe in Texans gear. Of course, lots there are lot of Cowboys fans there too. I have yet to hear anyone talk **** in either direction. Most times, its just "Texans have a good team this year" or "We need to get rid of Jerry" talk.

I never said Cowboys fans barely know the Texans exist, I just said there isnt a rivalry (from the Cowboys fans side at least). Most Cowboys fans readily acknowledge the Texans had a great year last year. Thats not to say some banter wont go back and forth from time to time. But we have to worry about getting past our division before we worry about anyone in the AFC.

Are there obnoxious Cowboy fans out there, you bet. However that goes for any team. The Texans have a heaping helping of those as well.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:18 PM

343 posts, read 805,570 times
Yeah there is virtually no rivalry/hostility towards the Texans here in Cowboys country. I always root for them to have a good season and don't really think twice about someone in a Texans jersey.

I do not see how one could argue that there is any form of serious rivalry between the two teams?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas