Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 07:29 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,636,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie2005 View Post
Ironically, liberals tend to be the most closed-minded people out there. They want you to be open and accepting to all their views, opinions, and actions, but at the same time call people that don't agree with them religious nuts and bigots. Go figure.
Makes the word "liberal" an oxymoron doesnt it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 07:32 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,636,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Wehotex? Is there ANY place in the world that does not have its own form and history of "injustice" (as subjectively defined?). I might even agree that the Mexicans who fought on the side of the Texas Anglo's in the Texas Revolution later faced some harsh and unwarranted treatment. And that is was shameful that the United States did not live up to treaty obligations made with the Indians. And all of us remember the Jim Crow laws in the South...

BUT...why do those memories ALWAYS seem to be a one way street?

In certain parts of the SW, the Mexican Flag is given prominence over that of the U.S. And whites are discrimated against. Being told to "move east into "your" own country..." *sighs*

Africans sold their own into slavery and there were free black slaveholders in the day.

The American Indians? They regularly "stole and raided" each other, and committed atrocities that would make a medivial torturer/executioner throw up.

You seem like a very reasonable and intelligent person, WehoTex, so all I am saying is, identify the saints before you label the sinners....
WELL SAID !!!

Old 10-28-2007, 07:33 PM

634 posts, read 2,924,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
excuse me!, texas is VERY LIBERAL!? what are you smoking? my people have been here 5 generations. i think that i know very well of what i'm talking about. what exactly are you talking about that went on in calif between the anglos and mexicans? it surely does not top forced segregation in public places, housing, churches, etc. sure LA had its "zoot suit" riots but that was caused by drunken sailors from other parts of the country. i don't like to dwell on those things b/c it is not was going on now. but for someone fr macon, georgia to tell me that texas is liberal and has been a place where anglos and mexicans have always gotten along, i just have to represent. you need to read about what happened after to the "tejanos", texans of mex descent who fought for the republic and then thrown out to dry when the anglos took over everything. from that point on, most mex americans didn't have many opportunities until the 1960s

Obviously you haven't heard of how Mexicans/Hispanics were treated in California. In the 20's and 30's, there was a huge stereotype that all Hispanics were dangerous. Police shot any suspect without hearing the truth of whether the person is guilty or not.

Hmm..... California was all of those. Mexicans lived on one side of town, never dreamt of going to the Anglo side of town.

San Antonio has always seemed pretty peaceful among the races. So has much of modern day Texas. We don't have the racism problems that are still fresh in Los Angeles among all races there. And by the way, I AM from San Antonio, and I reside here now.....

Anyways..If you reread my post, you can see that I said that Texas is liberal for SOUTHERN STATE. Compare Texas with Alabama and Georgia. It's even more religious and conservative in those states. In every city now.. Houston, Dallas, Austin, and more and more San Antonio have a huge liberal base. The only city in Georgia that has that would be Atlanta and in Alabama and Mississippi.... None. Maybe to a small extent... Birmingham for Alabama.

Old 10-29-2007, 11:23 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,021,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyun-Soo View Post
Obviously you haven't heard of how Mexicans/Hispanics were treated in California. In the 20's and 30's, there was a huge stereotype that all Hispanics were dangerous. Police shot any suspect without hearing the truth of whether the person is guilty or not.

Hmm..... California was all of those. Mexicans lived on one side of town, never dreamt of going to the Anglo side of town.

San Antonio has always seemed pretty peaceful among the races. So has much of modern day Texas. We don't have the racism problems that are still fresh in Los Angeles among all races there. And by the way, I AM from San Antonio, and I reside here now.....

Anyways..If you reread my post, you can see that I said that Texas is liberal for SOUTHERN STATE. Compare Texas with Alabama and Georgia. It's even more religious and conservative in those states. In every city now.. Houston, Dallas, Austin, and more and more San Antonio have a huge liberal base. The only city in Georgia that has that would be Atlanta and in Alabama and Mississippi.... None. Maybe to a small extent... Birmingham for Alabama.

the racist problems that exist now in socal are the direct result of the huge unchecked numbers of illegals who have turned the region upside down. you're right about the big cities in texas having liberal bases. i think that the tax system here in san antonio is taken right out of a karl marx book, extorting middle/upper class wealth to go the poor folk. i still can't agree with you about texas being even equally racist to socal, even back to the 30s. when i would tell older mexican americans in calif where i was from, they would sometimes say to me, "oh, they're very racist over there, aren't they?" if they lived there in "racist" calif, why would they make that comment? it is also well know that many blacks fled louisiana & texas to get away from jim crow. when you drive through "the hood", you will still see many eateries that specialize in cajun and louisiana style food. i have older cousins(75-85) who moved to los angeles after the war from texas and they would all agree that so cal was less racist. when you mention the 20s, 30s,you may be referring to the repatriation of mexicans back to mexico during the depression era. (they should bring that back for the current group of illegals). we don't have the racist problems here in san antonio, agreed. but that is not to say that they never happened. i recall reading that sa's first mex american city councilman from the 1950s was arrested for walking in a whites only park. to say that we've gone from that to the current situation is a big improvement. that said, we can look forward and enjoy the day.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:53 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,981,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baby_firefly View Post
really??cause i've read quite a few posts about Tyler and they describe the opposite ,and city data says theres just as many other nationalitysthan white(55.6% white)i'm looking for a town not very metropolitan thats verychurch involved (prayer groups,group activities,etc...)that i could find an apartment/rental housing ,waitressing or bartending job ,thats safe for children and has activities for them if any of you are farmiliar with Lewisville do you think i would find that there and any suggestions if no
thanks
I'm gonna be honest with you here. If the above qualities are what you seek in a living environment/lifestyle, then Tyler would be IDEAL for you. Not that there is anything wrong with wanting those qualities for your surroundings (especially safety for children). Quite a few people love Tyler, it would appear. And I personally thought it was the best thing since pants with pockets until I began traveling to other parts of the country and other parts of the state.

And I'm really not as particular on the statistical demography, as it can be very misleading at times; not always but sometimes. I can only say that Tyler isn't a place with a very diverse economic strata. There is an anti-gentrification economic blueprint established that perpetuates segregation among the classes. It also acts as an impediment in the progress of the lower socio-economic classes. This segregation has seemingly been embraced by most residents and it is widely accepted as a viable way of living.

So, despite the fact that I love the charm that Tyler holds, I personally don't desire this lifestyle as it isn't conducive to someone who is trying to advance a career (unless ur already wealthy of course...lol.).

Last edited by solytaire; 10-30-2007 at 09:40 AM..

Old 10-30-2007, 09:16 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,981,993 times
TexReb "Africans sold their own into slavery and there were free black slaveholders in the day."

This is a common misnomer that often goes unexplained. No disrespect intended TexReb, but its been written that: although there WERE free black slaveholders who owned slaves (< redundant, I know lol), the slaves they purchased were their OWN family members. Thus they never actually physically ENSLAVED anyone. They realized that if they purchased their own family members back from their former slaveholders they could effectively and legally release them from the more iniquitous form of bondage in which they were held.

Just a minor sidenote I wanted to toss in there...lol

And I won't obstruct the original focus of the thread anymore.

Old 06-07-2008, 07:42 PM

10 posts, read 17,835 times
Hello I am from Arizona, and I took a 4 month job in Oklahoma. (I also bought land, North of San Antonio, TX...love the land & people, & hope to live there soon) I have had many people here in Oklahoma tell me how dirty Texas is. People here are very different, than AZ, or Texas. I have asked Questions like, what is your favorite TV show, and they either do not watch TV, or have no knowledge of any movies pass, or present. My husband & I have been followed by the local police, when they see our AZ. licenses plate. The people seem to have religious problems, which I cannot put my finger on.
I would love to hear from anyone, so that I will know how to handle situations in a proper way...
Thanks

Last edited by dlrushford; 06-07-2008 at 07:45 PM.. Reason: word spell

Old 06-07-2008, 11:04 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,952,864 times
Liberal ideas are not that well thought of but that does not mean racist.Ithink you need to get around more and not prejudge. Seems kind of bigoted to me too.

Old 06-08-2008, 05:31 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,627,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post

This is a common misnomer that often goes unexplained. No disrespect intended TexReb, but its been written that: although there WERE free black slaveholders who owned slaves (< redundant, I know lol), the slaves they purchased were their OWN family members. Thus they never actually physically ENSLAVED anyone. They realized that if they purchased their own family members back from their former slaveholders they could effectively and legally release them from the more iniquitous form of bondage in which they were held.

Just a minor sidenote I wanted to toss in there...lol
And no offence nor disrespect taken, my friend! Not in the least! Shoot, you and me have fought on the same side of the creek MANY times before!

Anyway, this thread goes back such a ways, and I never even read the post of yours until today, when it was suddenly "revived"! LOL

In any event, it is correct that the "slaves" possessed by free black slaveholders were, in many instances, family members whose freedom had been purchased.

However, according to this article at least, such was not the norm at all.

Black Slave Owners Civil War Article by Robert M Grooms

In the rare instances when the ownership of slaves by free Negroes is acknowledged in the history books, justification centers on the claim that black slave masters were simply individuals who purchased the freedom of a spouse or child from a white slaveholder and had been unable to legally manumit them. Although this did indeed happen at times, it is a misrepresentation of the majority of instances, one which is debunked by records of the period on blacks who owned slaves.

As a little afternote, this piece does appear to have been very well researched...

Old 06-08-2008, 02:26 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,493,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlrushford View Post
Hello I am from Arizona, and I took a 4 month job in Oklahoma. (I also bought land, North of San Antonio, TX...love the land & people, & hope to live there soon) I have had many people here in Oklahoma tell me how dirty Texas is. People here are very different, than AZ, or Texas. I have asked Questions like, what is your favorite TV show, and they either do not watch TV, or have no knowledge of any movies pass, or present. My husband & I have been followed by the local police, when they see our AZ. licenses plate. The people seem to have religious problems, which I cannot put my finger on.
I would love to hear from anyone, so that I will know how to handle situations in a proper way...
Thanks
I moved to Oklahoma from Utah nine months ago. I have not had any of the things you talk of happening. I have a son in Texas and when I talk of him and Texas to friends or people I meet they are very positive about that state. Alot of Oklahoma people have lived in Texas or have relatives there. As far as the people having religious problems, what do you mean exactly. I haven't noticed any problems other then the fact that people talk about their church alot, which is a good thing. Remember you came from Arizona....you are now in the bible belt. People might be more religious than in AZ. I came from Utah....another very religious area, so I am in the minority (religiously speaking) here but the people are very nice no matter what their religion. I still have my Utah plates on my car and haven't been stopped so far by police. Maybe it matters what part of Oklahoma you moved too, but all I am saying is give Oklahoma a chance. You need to do your part too and be friendly. Hope you like your stay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas