Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which 'Texanisms" Are Part of Your Regular Use?
"Coke" for soft-drink 29 69.05%
"Y'all" for second-person plural pronoun 38 90.48%
"Yonder" 10 23.81%
Double-Modals (i.e. "might-could", "shouldn't oughta", etc) 10 23.81%
Emphasis on first syllable to make two syllables (i.e. "IN-surance", "IN-velope", etc) 10 23.81%
Rolling R's (i.e. "warsh" for "wash",etc). 3 7.14%
"Doodlebug" for "Roly-Poly" 13 30.95%
"Cotton-Pickin Hands" (as in mild, friendly critique of manners) 4 9.52%
Tex-izz as opposed to Tex-iss, when pronouncing our state 10 23.81%
Others (please list!). 7 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 11:38 AM

1,187 posts, read 1,420,931 times

Advertisements

A lot of these "Texanisms" have fallen out of use enough that they sound quaint and therefore entertaining. My grandfather -- who came to Texas as a young man in 1922 -- used a lot of them. Here are some:

Yonder, fetch (as in "go over yonder and fetch me that"), monostrous-big (really big), larruppin'-good (delicious).

He often affectionately called me an old "dololly", which means different things in different places, but originally came from pre-WWI British Army slang for crazy. (From the Deolali Sanitarium in India where British soldiers recovered before going home.)

If he thought a man was insufficiently masculine, he would call him a "piano player" (first word pronounced as "pie-anuh"). Also, until the Austin Powers movies, he was the only person I ever heard use the word "shag".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2016, 07:27 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Haven't read through all this old thread, but is '"Fixin' to" in there? Or "tump" (as in he 'tumped over the canoe')?

Old 11-29-2016, 07:50 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
Haven't read through all this old thread, but is '"Fixin' to" in there? Or "tump" (as in he 'tumped over the canoe')?
I commented above on "fixin' to".

I forgot about "tump" and "hike".

"Don't hike it up too high or it might tump over!"

I rarely use hike or tump but I recognize them as valid.

As far as soft drinks, I stay with the following:

"Pop" is your old man. "Soda" is what you use to clean off your battery terminals, or ruin a glass of good whiskey. "Coke" comes in a bottle or can and is fizzy.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:49 PM

Oh, yeah. I'm from Houston, with family from a small town south of there, and I remember "fixin' to" and "tump".

Earlier in this thread, I posted some quaint sayings my grandfather used. I forgot to add that I once worked with a lady from west Texas who was quite familiar with them. So, as we might expect, some sayings linger a while longer away from the big cities. However, now that virtually everyone has internet access and cable news, maybe we'll all wind up speaking the same way.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:43 PM

5,583 posts, read 6,510,564 times
Born and raised in Michigan, but my father and his family line (none of who I knew) are true Texans. I don't believe it is a coincidence that I ended up here.

I would have loved to have been born and raised here. The only "Texanisms" I use are "y'all", and "soda" instead of "pop" which is what is said in Michigan. I have been told a couple times that I have an accent! Told it's the way I pronounce some words.

In doing some genealogy, I learned that nicknames were common in Texas "back in the day." My father's was "Blondie" and my grandfather's was "Curly." I haven't come across a "Bubba" or a "Tex" yet, but then I haven't gone too deeply into the family tree.

Old 11-30-2016, 03:38 AM

My dad was called "Cotton" because his hair was so light when he was a kid. His dad was sometimes called "Preacher" because ... well, he used the Lord's name in vain a lot, so to speak.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:04 AM

2,258 posts, read 3,494,719 times
I never really thought I used any Texanisms, but I use nearly all of those (except Tex-izz).

Coke can mean Coke, Sprite, Dr. Pepper, etc.

I picked up 'get your cotton picking hands off my...." from my parents, but its more of an acknowledged old-timey idiom.

I notice we tend to pronounce oil as 'oll' instead of 'o-yel'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas