Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 12:01 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times

Advertisements

I hold that Texas is not a southern state because there are so many other influences strongly at work in making it up what it is (nothing magical about it, you just have to ignore most of the influences on Texas other than the south in order to claim that it's a southern state), I AM educated, and I was born and bred in East Texas all the way back past San Jacinto. So you would lose that bet.

Oh, and last I looked, West Texas was part of Texas. And it was five states, not four, that Texas could be divided up into - but wasn't, so it's still all one state and that's what we're talking about because that's the reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 12:18 AM

286 posts, read 406,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I hold that Texas is not a southern state because there are so many other influences strongly at work in making it up what it is (nothing magical about it, you just have to ignore most of the influences on Texas other than the south in order to claim that it's a southern state), I AM educated, and I was born and bred in East Texas all the way back past San Jacinto. So you would lose that bet.

Oh, and last I looked, West Texas was part of Texas. And it was five states, not four, that Texas could be divided up into - but wasn't, so it's still all one state and that's what we're talking about because that's the reality.

What influences do you speak of? Surely you don't speak for the majority of Texans because they live on the eastern half. And the influx of immigrants is new. Please give me an example of these influences you speak of other than Mexican food? And last I checked, Texas was a southern slave state. You can live in a fantasy world all you want but Texas is as southern as you can get.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:42 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
German influences, French influences, Spanish influences (much more than "Mexican food", if you've done any research at all) come immediately to mind.

I just noted in another thread that the Texas State Historical Association (founded 1897) apparently considers Texas to be a Southwestern state, if anything other than just Texas.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:28 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Quote:
German influences, French influences, Spanish influences (much more than "Mexican food", if you've done any research at all) come immediately to mind.

I just noted in another thread that the Texas State Historical Association (founded 1897) apparently considers Texas to be a Southwestern state, if anything other than just Texas.
So I suppose you feel the same way about Louisiana, Florida, and other enclaves of the South?

Old 02-02-2013, 03:02 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,603,780 times
Quote:

I am copying and pasting something from another thread. And oh yeah, just to preface, THL? How could it be possible that Texas was part of the same Southwest (or considered by the editors of the Southwestern Historical Association) with New Mexico and Arizona (which is apparently how you define it), and those states were not even states until almost 20 years later?

But anyway...

Whoever said Texas wasn't/isn't a 'Southwestern State"? What is being said (by at least some of us), is that the term "Southwest" has evolved over the years, and that the relationship to the South or Mountain West may take on varying definitions.

At one point in time, Mississippi, Alabama, and Louisiana were considered the "Southwest." It literally meant the western part of the South. Heck, even still today, the Southwestern Athletic Conference are made up of historically black colleges in the western part of the South. And later, so was the original (but now defunt), Southwest Conference:

Southwestern Athletic Conference - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Southwest Conference - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In a nutshell, it was a description used to distinguish the western South from the eastern South. But only in the sense that they were "twins" of the other half. Which in turn was never thought of as being anything more than the overall "South".

On a related tangent, as Raymond Gastil put it in his book "Cultural Regions of the United States"

Unlike the Interior Southwest, neither aboriginal Indian nor Spanish-American culture played a central role in the definition of the area. The people of Texas are mostly from the Lower, Upper, and Mountain South and these Southerners easily outnumbered the Spanish speaking and Indian people even before the state joined the Union. Therefore, when we refer to a large Spanish-speaking population in Texas, we are primarily speaking of a relatively recent immigrant population, quite different from the core areas of the Interior Southwest."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas