Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city will have the best luxury stores by the end of 2013?
Dallas 88 62.86%
Houston 52 37.14%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 04:02 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by casimpso View Post
The new Nebraska Furniture Mart in The Colony is predicted to be the highest-volume furniture store in the U.S. when it opens in 2015.
Nebraska Furniture Mart has grand plans for $1.5B 'Grandscape' project - Dallas Business Journal

The size of it is phenomenal, 433 acres:
"two stories and a footprint of approximately 1 million square feet, equating to 2 million square feet of structure – or approximately 53 football fields.

"The building will include 1.28 million square feet for warehouse and distribution uses, about 25,000 square feet for regional corporate headquarters and about 546,000 square feet for retail sales.

"By comparison, Frisco's IKEA is 310,000 square feet."

It's being called the "world's biggest single-use retail store."
The Colony to boast $1.5 billion mega-retail outlet | www.pegasusnews.com | Dallas/Fort Worth

Take that.

I'm still wondering why the Houston metro is unable to support more than one Central Market. Even Austin has two.

And check out the flagship Whole Foods on Greenville Avenue.
http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/site...%20Heading.jpg
Nebraska Furniture Mart, Ikea, Central Market, and Whole Foods are "Luxury" shopping to you ? Are all these cities supposed to have the exact same mix of shopping? And just how much "luxury" shopping do you guys do? What I suspect is going on here is a bunch of boosters are reading articles about these retail outlets that they really do not understand, and erroneously labeling them as "luxury". Some may be upscale, but" upscale" does not equal "luxury" does it?

Most of you people post about how different Houston is in population, and culture, then post that if Houston doesn't have the same mix of shopping that it is somehow lagging. Different strokes gentlemen!

Lastly, just how much luxury shopping, do any of you guys do? Do tell us all about your shop till you drop excursions Where did you go, and how much did you buy, and just how often do you shop luxuriously?

Old 05-04-2013, 09:04 AM

4,435 posts, read 6,304,590 times
I think this thread has gotten off topic now that we are discussing Ikea, NFM and Central Market. lol

Old 05-04-2013, 09:59 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
Someone previously asked why doesn't The Woodlands have "luxury" shopping since it's an upscale place. Personally, I've not been there (I've been to Houston), but I did look at the mall's tenants and they don't seem as upscale for a place like TW. The way some people describe TW's upscale features I would think that it would have a mall on the same scale as the Galleria but on a slight smaller scale. Also, I would have thought that Sugar Land would have an upscale mall as well. Their mall doesn't even have a Gap (my favorite store!). lol Hey, I'm just stating my opinion.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:15 AM

32 posts, read 77,583 times
^ To be honest, The Woodlands Market Street have a nice boutique feel to it. It's considered 'luxury' (and I use that word loosely in this post) for the same reason Southlake is considered luxurious. Southlake Town Square doesn't have much to talk about except for a Michael Kors and a Coach??? Really? Just drive 10 minutes east and get the same thing at Grapevine Mills.

I will admit, DFW have more places to get your 'luxury' fix on. But let's not kid ourselves. I've lived here for 4 years (and I'm stuck here for 4 more) and the only thing that I'm overly impressed with is Uptown/Highlnd Park. I don't know about 'luxurious' shopping, but if this were about 'exclusive' shopping, there are A LOT of exclusive shops and boutiques in Houston. I try not to post on things I don't know about.

[I've shopped at Stonebriar, Willowbend, Galleria, NorthPark, (ate at Highland Park Village-can't afford that stuff), The Parks at Arlington, NorthEast, Grapevine Mills, Southlake TS, Golden Triangle. Damn! every mall except for collin creek and one of those FtWorth malls.]

Old 05-04-2013, 01:16 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drecey View Post
^ To be honest, The Woodlands Market Street have a nice boutique feel to it. It's considered 'luxury' (and I use that word loosely in this post) for the same reason Southlake is considered luxurious. Southlake Town Square doesn't have much to talk about except for a Michael Kors and a Coach??? Really? Just drive 10 minutes east and get the same thing at Grapevine Mills.

I will admit, DFW have more places to get your 'luxury' fix on. But let's not kid ourselves. I've lived here for 4 years (and I'm stuck here for 4 more) and the only thing that I'm overly impressed with is Uptown/Highlnd Park. I don't know about 'luxurious' shopping, but if this were about 'exclusive' shopping, there are A LOT of exclusive shops and boutiques in Houston. I try not to post on things I don't know about.

[I've shopped at Stonebriar, Willowbend, Galleria, NorthPark, (ate at Highland Park Village-can't afford that stuff), The Parks at Arlington, NorthEast, Grapevine Mills, Southlake TS, Golden Triangle. Damn! every mall except for collin creek and one of those FtWorth malls.]
Of course you would know more though. From mainstream shopping, DFW seems to have more luxury shopping (sources are from malls' directories).

Old 05-06-2013, 07:44 PM

The construction boards are up around the old Barney's New York at NorthPark. Anyone have the scoop on what is replacing it? I've heard Bloomingdales and even Uniqlo.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:52 PM

Kate Spade and CH Carolina Herrera are expanding to new locations within NorthPark Center to flagship stores. Only their Madison Ave stores in NYC will be as large. Also, some other new to Dallas luxury retailers, yet to be announced, are planned for NorthPark Center as well. Nice news.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:04 PM

328 posts, read 471,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Kate Spade and CH Carolina Herrera are expanding to new locations within NorthPark Center to flagship stores. Only their Madison Ave stores in NYC will be as large. Also, some other new to Dallas luxury retailers, yet to be announced, are planned for NorthPark Center as well. Nice news.
Here's the scoop from the DMN:

Two home furnishings stores and existing NorthPark Center tenants are moving into space vacated in March by Barneys New York.

Arhaus Furniture, which sells living, dining room bedroom and office furniture made with eco-friendly materials, is taking up 24,000 square feet. The 42-store chain based in Ohio also has stores in Austin and Houston.

Fixtures Living will occupy 32,000 square feet on the upper level selling home hardware and appliances including indoor and outdoor kitchens.

This will be the first Texas store for Fixture Living, which now only operates stores in California where it’s based.

NorthPark plans to fill former Barneys New York space with new home furnishing stores and existing tenants | Biz Beat Blog

Old 05-11-2013, 07:15 AM

659 posts, read 1,376,747 times
Ferrari is opening a dealership on Woodlands Market Street adjacent to the mall.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:05 PM

61 posts, read 103,202 times
I dont understand why they are replacing Barneys with two furniture stores. That's a disappointment. I was so sure they'd choose Bloomingdale. But northpark management is supposed to be trend setting. They dont play by the rule. They have their own formula that's why they're able to surpass the $1.1B dollars mark in sale. That space is perfect for Bloomingdale or bergdorf Goodman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas