Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2006, 05:26 PM

2 posts, read 5,231 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move to the RGV and was hoping someone would have some info on what life is like in McAllen, Harlingen, Port Isabel or Progreso Lakes. Any info anyone can share is appreciated. I'm looking to rent until I find a house I like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2006, 09:52 AM

130 posts, read 873,383 times
Seigi. McAllen and Harlingen both have their good neighborhoods and bad ones. Not sure about Port Isabel or Progresso Lakes though.
Just be prepared for a culture shock. I am not sure of the racial make-up of NJ but the RGV is 90% hispanic. If you know any spanish it would be useful.

Old 10-11-2006, 03:49 PM

1 posts, read 2,611 times
What brings you to the valley?

Old 10-18-2006, 02:26 PM

14 posts, read 109,987 times
Siegi,

McAllen and Harlingen are larger cities with more conveniences. Port Isabel is the small city before you cross the bridge to South Padre Island. It is a fishing community with lots of tourist attractions. Port Mansfield is five minutes from Port Isabel that is great for renting till you find a new home. It has more open area for relaxing not, that you couldn't just cross over to Padre Island.

McAllen and Harlingen are main cities that people migrate to the most. Please feel free to look into the McAllen Chamber of Commerce website. It has some great videos of the city. I would imagine that the Harlingen Chamber has the same information available.

I was born and raised in the Valley and I do not know much about the Progresso Lakes. I can not comment much on that area.

As for the culture shock..........yes, it made of a majority of Hispanic people. Which has its many benefits? The area has international cuisine, inexpensive labor for gardening, house helpers, and nannies.

Spanish is a plus in the area but, absolutely not in any way or form a necessity.........we are in the United States. The majority understand English just fine. It is an opportunity to learn a second language though.

Hope you have the opportunity to experience it for yourself.

Old 10-19-2006, 06:28 AM

2 posts, read 5,231 times
Default Rgv

Thank you for the reply and the useful information. It is appreciated.

Old 11-06-2006, 06:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,615 times
Smile Rgv

Seigi, I am in the same boat as you. I am planning on moving to Rgv, and also looking for the same info. I want to thank you in advance if you would be so kind to let me know of any additional info.
Best Regards,
Thank you

Old 02-08-2007, 09:32 AM

14 posts, read 109,987 times
Red face Need info ask Valley Born & Raised

Gentlemen,
If there is any unparticular information you are looking for please do not hesitate to ask me. I can provide you with specific websites or direct you to realtors, bankers, school districts, colleges.........etc.

Hope you have already found what you need but, if not just ask.........I will keep an eye out for your responses.

Best wishes,

Valley born & raised!

Old 04-18-2007, 02:23 AM

136 posts, read 449,068 times
Default Port Mansfield Info

Hi Valley Born & Raised,

I was looking at real estate in Port Manfield via the internet. I looked
at a neighborhood link on one of the listings. Why is violent crime
rated a 6 in Port Mansfield, whereas the rest of the county is a 3?

What are your opinion of buying property in Port Mansfield? It would
be a weekend place, or rental. Does Port Mansfield flood during
heavy rains?

Thanks,
Joli
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas