Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which choice best matches your feelings on smoking ordinances related to private businesses?
The decision should be totally up to the owner of the business 25 37.31%
Smoking should be banned in all places open to the public, private or not. 26 38.81%
Owner should have control, but required to provide Smoking/No Smoking areas. 7 10.45%
Owner should regulate policy, but if smoking is allowed within, should be required to place sign saying so. 7 10.45%
Places that serve alcohol should be exempt, but restricted in other establishments 2 2.99%
No opinion/Don't care 0 0%
Mixed feelings (explain if desired) 0 0%
Other (please explain) 0 0%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 07:55 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,624,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
Just trying to figure out, why you think it's ok for somebody else to impose their bad habit on others, especially when it's not healthy.
Uhhhh, what if you have the choice to not expose yourself to someone else's "bad habits" by simply not patronizing businesses that allow smoking?

Nothing hard at all to "figure out" about that...unless one is so self-centered they believe their own self-defined "rights" are more important than those of the property owner to make decisions based upon their own experience with their clientele.

Let me bring this down to a personal level...

Suppose I own a business that is dependent on a working class crowd where many smoke, and those who have no problem with those who do?

Now, what are your credentials to tell me I can't make that policy? Especially when nothing at all requires you to set foot in my café/bar/bowling alley/etc, at all?

But? On the flip side of the album...just so you don't think it works in only one direction? What right should I have that should outweigh your right to prohibit smoking within your place? When all I have to do is either not go in or find another place that allows it?

Last edited by TexasReb; 09-30-2013 at 08:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 07:58 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,381,258 times
The best part of Texas is that it has 254 counties that are still given a LOT of individual freedom apart from an overbearing centralized government.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:06 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,705,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Uhhhh, what if you have the choice to not expose yourself to someone else's "bad habits" by simply not patronizing businesses that allow smoking?

Nothing hard at all to "figure out" about that...unless one is so self-centered they believe their own self-defined "rights" are more important than those of the property owner to make decisions based upon their own experience with their clientele.

Let me bring this down to a personal level...

Suppose I own a business that is dependent on a working class crowd where many smoke, and those who have no problem with those who do?

Now, what are your credentials to tell me I can't make that policy? Especially when nothing at all requires you to set foot in my café/bar/bowling alley/etc, at all?
damn bro, don't take it personally, I just asked...and since you responded..let me tell you this...

I lived with a smoker for 17 YEARS, trust me I had people asking me if I smoked(I don't) and it was so bad that the paint in our house even changed color! So yeah, if that makes me self centered then I guess I am, but since its THEIR habit, they can do it in THEIR house. I get sick now smelling that crap and it makes me head feel like I was kicked by a mule. I never said anything that businesses could not do anything..apparently you need to go back to the their grade and learn how to read again...I addressed the behavior of the smoker, not the actual place of business.

Oh and PS: I wasn't talking to you.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:35 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,624,701 times
Quote:
damn bro, don't take it personally, I just asked...and since you responded..let me tell you this...

I lived with a smoker for 17 YEARS, trust me I had people asking me if I smoked(I don't) and it was so bad that the paint in our house even changed color! So yeah, if that makes me self centered then I guess I am, but since its THEIR habit, they can do it in THEIR house. I get sick now smelling that crap and it makes me head feel like I was kicked by a mule. I never said anything that businesses could not do anything..apparently you need to go back to the their grade and learn how to read again...I addressed the behavior of the smoker, not the actual place of business.

LMAO That is a neat little deflection -- humorous one at that -- you are writing to detract from what you actually said/wrote. And such is quite obvious to anyone who read your earlier post. So, no "bro", I think it is you who either need to go back and edit your own writing or do some comprehensive reading yourself in order to figure out what you are writing about...or else just get it straight!.

In this case? It was clearly stated the poll applied only to privately owned businesses, not private homes, etc. What part of that was unclear to you?

But ok, in the interest of harmony and good will? Let's just chalk that one up as a misunderstanding or whatever. Fair enough?

So answer directly, if you will. Do you, personally, have any problem with allowing the owner(s) of a privately owned business to be the ultimate decision maker on their inside smoking policies?

Last edited by TexasReb; 09-30-2013 at 08:47 PM..

Old 09-30-2013, 08:37 PM

568 posts, read 902,621 times
Quote:

Your post was vague and never specified if you were talking about businesses. The post you quoted went into length discussing the issue with businesses so it was natural for TexasReb to make an assumption.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:34 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,444,539 times
Quote:
Just trying to figure out, why you think it's ok for somebody else to impose their bad habit on others, especially when it's not healthy.

I suggest you go back and actually READ what I typed this time. The entire idea was that there were venues that were smoking venues, and hundreds of other venues that were no smoking venues. This meant that those who did not want to have someone else's "bad habit" (by their lights) imposed on them had many, many places they could go with that not happening. Those who liked to smoke (and didn't consider it a bad habit) had a few venues where they could go.

So who exactly is being imposed on by someone else's bad habit here? (By the way, I consider insisting that everyone live by your preferences and that your preferences be legislated to be a very bad habit, and one that the anti-smoking crowd above and their ilk have in spades. In fact, I think it should be illegal so that no one has to be exposed to it.)

Old 09-30-2013, 10:09 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,514,363 times
Should be up to the owners. Having said that, I can't stand trying to eat in places where several people are smoking. Before the smoking ban in Dallas took over, there were many restaurants that did not allow smoking, or if they did, it was only in very small designated areas. I used to be a regular smoker. Sometimes I enjoy a cigarette with a drink, but I can't stand smoke-filled restaurants. You do notice the difference. I've taken my daughter out of diners and restaurants in other states where the smoke is heavy in the air. I realize this post is disjointed. Leave it up to the business and let me choose which ones I visit.

Old 09-30-2013, 10:51 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,705,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
LMAO That is a neat little deflection -- humorous one at that -- you are writing to detract from what you actually said/wrote. And such is quite obvious to anyone who read your earlier post. So, no "bro", I think it is you who either need to go back and edit your own writing or do some comprehensive reading yourself in order to figure out what you are writing about...or else just get it straight!.

In this case? It was clearly stated the poll applied only to privately owned businesses, not private homes, etc. What part of that was unclear to you?

But ok, in the interest of harmony and good will? Let's just chalk that one up as a misunderstanding or whatever. Fair enough?

So answer directly, if you will. Do you, personally, have any problem with allowing the owner(s) of a privately owned business to be the ultimate decision maker on their inside smoking policies?
Deflection..that's a good one..I specifically commented on just a post made by a poster about what a SMOKER does, i didn't say anything about a business. I mean do you not understand English, perhaps? I am no longer going to answer the question of someone that doesn't even have the reading comprehension of a 3rd grader. This is not the first time you have done this before to a poster. I answered your stupid little poll because I was bored, but just like before, you have to argue with people that don't agree with YOUR view..so then why the hell do you put a poll? Just put, I think X and what do you guys think about that ..problem solved...

Old 09-30-2013, 10:58 PM

568 posts, read 902,621 times
Quote:
Deflection..that's a good one..I specifically commented on just a post made by a poster about what a SMOKER does, i didn't say anything about a business. I mean do you not understand English, perhaps? I am no longer going to answer the question of someone that doesn't even have the reading comprehension of a 3rd grader. This is not the first time you have done this before to a poster. I answered your stupid little poll because I was bored, but just like before, you have to argue with people that don't agree with YOUR view..so then why the hell do you put a poll? Just put, I think X and what do you guys think about that ..problem solved...
You specifically quoted someone who made a post about certain venues/businesses allowing smoking. They never mentioned anything about forcing a bad habit upon anyone else. You're the only one here with comprehension issues.

Old 10-01-2013, 07:08 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,959,588 times
I despise the smell of cigarettes (cigars and pipes are great though) personally, but it should be up to each business owner and his/her customers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas