Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you like Beaumont/The Golden Triangle as a place to live, work, & play in Texas?
I love it! 2 16.67%
It's okay. 7 58.33%
I hate it! 3 25.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 01:09 AM

525 posts, read 719,519 times

Advertisements

I am a prospective college student who wants to attend college out of state in Texas. I am very interested in Lamar University in Beaumont because it has the program I seek that has both BA & MA available.

As a Louisianian, I have never visited the state of Texas yet. I don't know anything about Beaumont other than what I read on the Internet.

I happen to have some questions listed below and I appreciate getting answers from residents, former residents, and even college students and Lamar alumnus.

1) How is Beaumont as a city?

2) Is Beaumont more of a coastal city with humidity being moderated by sea breezes or still very humid and swampy like southern Louisiana with little beach?

3) How is the economy and job market based on its central location between Houston and Lake Charles, LA?

4) Are the people friendly like most southerners are, especially Louisianians?

5) What do you think of Lamar University and is there a great city-university relationship?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2014, 08:36 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
1) How is Beaumont as a city? I won't lie to you. It's a small place and there's not a whole lot going on. There's a mall and a decent selection of big box stores and chain diners to keep you somewhat "entertained", but you may find yourself wanting to get out of town several times a month.

2) Is Beaumont more of a coastal city with humidity being moderated by sea breezes or still very humid and swampy like southern Louisiana with little beach? Beaumont practically is southern Louisiana, and, when it comes to the weather, I doubt you'll notice any significant differences. It is very humid, and not quite close enough to the actual coast for those breezes you're looking for.

3) How is the economy and job market based on its central location between Houston and Lake Charles, LA? This I don't know enough about, but this corner of the country is a hot spot for jobs right now, so you shouldn't have much trouble finding work.

4) Are the people friendly like most southerners are, especially Louisianians? The people are definitely friendly, for the most part.

5) What do you think of Lamar University and is there a great city-university relationship? I have several friends and associates who are LU alumni, and, as I understand it, a great deal of the students there tend to be from Houston, so there may not be as much of a real connection to the city of Beaumont.

As for the school itself, well, it's a state college located in a very industrial part of town. If that's something you can overlook, you may have an enjoyable college experience.

Old 03-15-2014, 02:25 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,269,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiNerd1 View Post

1) How is Beaumont as a city?

2) Is Beaumont more of a coastal city with humidity being moderated by sea breezes or still very humid and swampy like southern Louisiana with little beach?

3) How is the economy and job market based on its central location between Houston and Lake Charles, LA?

4) Are the people friendly like most southerners are, especially Louisianians?

5) What do you think of Lamar University and is there a great city-university relationship?

1) Beaumont has both good and bad. Lots and lots of shopping and dining near the mall makes it look like a slice of Houston. But there are multiple 'bad' parts of town, too. Personally I always envisioned Lake Charles more liveable. Both cities are driven by the chemical refinery industry, but for some reason Lake Charles felt like more of a place to settle down. A lot of Beaumont looks and feels industrial. Beaumont would be fine for a few years to get your education, though.

2) It's humid and swampy. There is a large beach area nearby Sabine Pass, but there is literally nothing there.

3) Been years since I lived there, but the economy is up and down. I think it's on an up again with some big refinery expansions, and this trickles down to everything else. If you live there a while, you will meet people who can help find a job. That's kinda how it's done. Otherwise lots of people leave Beaumont for a big city. A common destination is Houston.

4) People are indeed friendly. I'd venture to say SE Texas/SW La are even friendlier than North La.

5) Lamar is decent. Engineering has a strong reputation with local industry. Lamar has sizeable alumni groups in Houston and Dallas. The city-relationship is much stronger between Lake Charles and McNeese. Lake Charles media splits time between McNeese and LSU. Beaumont media spends more time on UT and ATM. Lamar is looked on primarily as a commuter school. It's not an exciting place to be, but if you are a working student on a budget who isn't as concerned with the 'college experience', then it would certainly be a good 'bang for your buck' deal. Of if you plan to go to graduate or professional school then you can get a good, fair priced, respectable education while saving $$$ for professional school.

Last edited by DanielWayne; 03-15-2014 at 02:34 PM..

Old 03-16-2014, 11:57 AM

Thank you for answering my questions!

I always get opinions that Northern LA isn't friendly as the rest of LA and Texas. Maybe that could be true. I have not traveled out of Northern LA.

Based on research, two things I like about Beaumont is that it's much larger than my hometown Monroe, LA with similar demographics. I can always go to Houston if I crave big city amenities. Most importantly of all, it certainly wouldn't be as cold as Minneapolis, MN (my second choice) in winters.

I'm sure that Houston is more interesting than the Twin Cities (Minneapolis/St. Paul).

Do Beaumont residents consider their city to be part of Houston MSA or more southern along with East Texas the most?

Last edited by SciFiNerd1; 03-16-2014 at 12:42 PM..

Old 03-16-2014, 12:11 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,269,751 times
Beaumont considers itself the "Golden Triangle" along with Port Arthur and Orange. That area considers itself regionally as SE Texas more than as part of Houston, although it is heavily, heavily influenced by Houston.

Old 03-16-2014, 12:42 PM

I get many recommendations to live north of Beaumont where the trees are due to high cancer-causing pollution from chemical plants and oilfields. Is it really that bad in the Golden Triangle?

Is Lumberton located where all the trees are?

If so, are there a plenty of rentals in Lumberton?

Old 03-17-2014, 07:40 AM

3,266 posts, read 5,633,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SciFiNerd1 View Post
I get many recommendations to live north of Beaumont where the trees are due to high cancer-causing pollution from chemical plants and oilfields. Is it really that bad in the Golden Triangle?

Is Lumberton located where all the trees are?

If so, are there a plenty of rentals in Lumberton?

I am sure you saw this response in your other post asking the same question (the oilfield part of your query is puzzling as there is little to no airborne pollutants associated with oilfields):

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
Texas Cancer Information

Deaths per 1,000 population are listed not incidence of cancer occurrence but Jefferson County is about middle of the pack ... certainly not at the top of the list . Did not see Hardin County listed but did see other counties north of both Jefferson and Hardin County with higher death rates. If one can correlate deaths to incidents of cancer then then it would be a fallacy that the Beaumont area has higher cancer rates.

Due to prevailing SE winds moving north of Beaumont would not enhance escape from industrial fallout much. Having said that Lumberton is more aesthetically pleasing because of the forested atmosphere IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas