Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 08:20 PM

36 posts, read 109,584 times

Advertisements

i wouldnt know about that.. but yea guns are a big hit here in texas dont know why probably cause of the land
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 08:35 PM

90 posts, read 472,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrygrath View Post
Talking about guns is as Texan as it can be...

Very fascinating...

Although my eyeballs almost dropped by reading so many comments,I think that the subject of non lethal ammo has n been mentioned...

What about a shotgun with rock salt load ?

As in the movie " Kill BIll 2 "...?

Does it effectively neutralise a person ?
IMO movies rarely get anything that correct. ie how many semi-auto pistols that repeatedly go: click, click, click... ugh!

Rock salt as less than lethal... umm... not my first choice. Cant say it has ever come up in a convesation before. It would cause damage but it would be hard to keep it consistant. The "salt" could change in moist conditions. Salt and water are not good things for weapons. Rubber slugs would be my first choice followed by a bean bag. Neither is easily came by but rock salt you would have to make.

note: if I want you to stop and dont want you to use lethal force: a dog that bites, pepper spray, tazer, cattle prod. Cant think of a scenerio where I would have my shotgun and not want to use lethal force to stop someone.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:47 AM

415 posts, read 1,718,681 times
Don't use a gun unless you plan on killing someone. Beanbags can still break skin, especially at close range. BB guns and paintball guns can leave welts and bruises (trust me, I know!)

Also keep in mind that 'non-lethal' doesn't mean the person can't die. Nor are they always effective, especially when someone is high on a mind altering drug. OTC pepper spray? It's a freaking condiment here.

Speaking of movies, my favorite is Swat. He manages to fire 2 or 3 more rounds after slide lock. AND hits the target! If only...

Old 03-21-2008, 11:51 AM

151 posts, read 182,205 times
I think that any person should try to be fair.

If a burglar does n intend to kill u,then it is unfair to kill him.

Therefore,we need a humane alternative...

And tougher penalties for burglars...

Old 03-21-2008, 01:04 PM

397 posts, read 1,026,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakingdark View Post
i wouldnt know about that.. but yea guns are a big hit here in texas dont know why probably cause of the land
No, now don't blame the land! Guns are a big hit with the people. The people should look inside themselves......the land has nothing to do with it.

Old 03-21-2008, 01:41 PM

151 posts, read 182,205 times
Gun loving ( or hating ) is a cultural thing...

That may be the subject of another thread...

R there any reliable statistics of carry permits per pop per state ?

Old 03-21-2008, 03:27 PM

415 posts, read 1,718,681 times
Quote:

Yeah, I'm fair. I plan to shoot EVERYBODY who comes into my house uninvited...

The US already leads the world in prisons and inmate population. That feel good crap about rehabilitating criminals just ensures we have more of them. Personalities are set by like age 3, so we parents to not hand everything to their kids because they want it. We need to stop this pervasive feeling of entitlement so kids don't grow up thinking they "deserve" anything that catches their fancy.

Old 03-21-2008, 03:33 PM

397 posts, read 1,026,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeLaura View Post
Yeah, I'm fair. I plan to shoot EVERYBODY who comes into my house uninvited...

The US already leads the world in prisons and inmate population. That feel good crap about rehabilitating criminals just ensures we have more of them. Personalities are set by like age 3, so we parents to not hand everything to their kids because they want it. We need to stop this pervasive feeling of entitlement so kids don't grow up thinking they "deserve" anything that catches their fancy.
I'll ignore the shooting comment, because you and I have had that debate.

I agree with you on the entitlement thing with children. I do take issue with your "rehabilitating criminals" statement. How much research have you done on this issue? In fact, as is evident in the US system, locking people up with long sentences and "harsh punishment" has miserably failed. It becomes a breeding ground for gangs and only further educates criminals to become better criminals.

For certain classes of prisoners, rehabilitation is the better choice. Remember, rehabilitation does NOT necessarily mean treating them like angels. Many tough rehabilitation programs for minor offenders are hard and many prisoners would rather choose hard time. But some have been very successful.

These programs are not appropriate for all classes of prisoners - some prisoners indeed need VERY LONG sentences, preferably in isolation. But to reject the rehabilitation theory entirely is not only a mistake, but it is not at all supported by criminal justice statistics.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:17 PM

90 posts, read 472,094 times
Quote:

How do you judge the intent of someone who has broken into your house?

Old 03-21-2008, 10:48 PM

36 posts, read 109,584 times
to true i agree
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas