Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 06:49 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,707,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeLaura View Post
Excellent point.

You can't shorten a shotgun, while you can pull your hands into your body, which makes a pistol better for going around corners.

You wanna watch me show you how to shorten a 12 gauge? That's probably the best way to quickly and one-handedly clear the room an intruder has stepped into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 11:06 AM

3,266 posts, read 5,635,276 times
My last post was referring to techniques taught at places like "Frontsight" and previously "Thunder Ranch".

Very close quarters favors the smaller/shorter weapon.

Just a clarification here!

Old 01-23-2008, 12:10 PM

96 posts, read 275,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakingdark View Post
does anyone now what is needed to purchase a gun and what is also needed to transport it from the store to the house?
Hey,
the best source....no guessing...

nraila.org/gunlaws

LOVE THE U.S.A.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:18 PM

415 posts, read 1,718,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
You wanna watch me show you how to shorten a 12 gauge? That's probably the best way to quickly and one-handedly clear the room an intruder has stepped into.
LOL, but I challenge you do it while there's an intruder :P

So, to clarify: Shotguns are the best home defense weapons (after dogs), pistols are better for clearing rooms, the police should be called to clear rooms, and you should park your butt and guard the door.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
My last post was referring to techniques taught at places like "Frontsight" and previously "Thunder Ranch".

Very close quarters favors the smaller/shorter weapon.

Just a clarification here!

Well I was just (ignorantly) joking to an extent. I've never owned a gun, and I'm a little uneducated on terms like Frontsight. But I did earn a marksman award once (single shot .22 long -- big whoop). I do find some folks' near-obsession with firearms quite interesting, near-creepy, but as a libertarian-leaning independent, strongly believe in 2nd amendment rights. (Just to set the record straight yall.) City boy has never hunted, doesn't want to, and I have never been scared jittery enough (yet) to consider buying one for defense. If that day ever does come, I'll probably get a .45 Glock with a laser sight. Shoot up an intruder with a sawed off and everyone goes to jail, right?

Old 01-23-2008, 12:26 PM

152 posts, read 673,999 times
Quote:
Well I was just (ignorantly) joking to an extent. I've never owned a gun, and I'm a little uneducated on terms like Frontsight. But I did earn a marksman award once (single shot .22 long -- big whoop). I do find some folks' near-obsession with firearms quite interesting, near-creepy, but as a libertarian-leaning independent, strongly believe in 2nd amendment rights. (Just to set the record straight yall.) City boy has never hunted, doesn't want to, and I have never been scared jittery enough (yet) to consider buying one for defense. If that day ever does come, I'll probably get a .45 Glock with a laser sight. Shoot up an intruder with a sawed off and everyone goes to jail, right?

The day you need it will be to late to buy one ....

Old 01-23-2008, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentlyinSanAntonio View Post
The day you need it will be to late to buy one ....

I could also say it's too late for you when you're fumbling around trying to get that loaded gun out of the safe. Or to load up an unloaded one. You know, so you can protect your kids from themselves?

I'm not trying to start an argument. This is just a matter of philosophy. Live how you want. The 2nd amendment is there for a reason, and your business is not mine. Personally, I refuse to live in such fear & tension. If I die, then so be it. At this point, a gun certainly isn't going to make me any calmer. Semi-unbreakable hurricane glass in my house WILL make me calmer, though. (Work in progress. )

Old 01-23-2008, 01:18 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,635,276 times
Default Food for thought ... good on the 2A stuff!

Quote:
I have never been scared jittery enough (yet) to consider buying one for defense. If that day ever does come, I'll probably get a .45 Glock with a laser sight. Shoot up an intruder with a sawed off and everyone goes to jail, right?

I have been scared jittery enough ... nuff said ... except it is very hard on the ol ticker.

Glock is a good choice as discussed way back in this thread ... but if you want the .45 you have to check out the AMERICAN made Kimbers:

Kimber - Continuing The Legacy: Pistols (http://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/ - broken link)

Oh. and remember, with the laser your position is absolutely pinpointed ... with a flashlight you can hold lateral to the body.

If you decide to use the scattergun it is OK with the 18 1/8" barrel. Your gun will be taken for a while until your case gets reviewed by the DA's office.

Less than 18" and , well, the Feds get involved. They aren't the best operators! Wouldn't want y'all to end up like poor ol' Randy Weaver!

Firearms Training: Instructor Development Program

Thunder Ranch® Oregon

I've hunted and been hunted.

Bob ... certified gun nutt!

Old 01-23-2008, 05:51 PM

415 posts, read 1,718,813 times
Quote:
Nope, one guy goes to the morgue!

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

I appreciate anyone who supports the 2nd Amendment, whether they own a gun or not. There are some people I think *shouldn't* own a gun. But for me, I have insurance, a retirement plan, and a way to protect myself if I need to.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you...

(What has gotten into me tonight?)

Seriously, you might be surprised to find out who carries. We're not all wild-eyed government conspiracy freaks. Guns are tools, nothing more, and I don't invest a lot of emotion in it. I'd be just as upset if you tried to take my hammer away (also because it's mine, not because I actually use it at home).

Old 01-23-2008, 09:53 PM

90 posts, read 472,139 times
One guy goes to morgue. You beat me to it.

I'm not talking about "clearing" rooms with a shotgun nor a handgun. I'm talking about grabbing and going see. Which is different than "that was definately something". My kids do not sleep in the same room with me. I am not going to wait to see, IF someone IS there, whose room gets entered first. Odds are no one is there, but I can't afford not to go look that one time someone is there. They would have to get by my dogs first as well. Love those pitbulls.

Need to shorten the overall length of a shotgun, how about a folding stock?

Grab the barrell? What movie have you been watching? Who broke in your house, Jet Li?

When I was in Law Enforcement we did the "Swat training" day. We actually had to go on a "call". We "cleared" the house, no one used a handgun. M4's and 870's.

Side note: two bad guys got shot. One three times with the M4 and lived. The other once with the 870 and didn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas