Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Texas summers versus Midwest/Northeast winters
Texas 93 76.23%
North/Midwest 29 23.77%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2019, 07:24 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,268,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Well I won't deny that... I was razzed by one local for being ''dressed up like it was winter'' when it was 55 outside-- on a typical, early June morning. But I layered up to the extreme in winter because I was outdoors 1-3 hours a day. I was good to 15F, but below that forget it. I don't know if location had a bit to do with it, being on the windward side of the Appalachians, getting grazed by Noreasters & lake effect snow every so often. I know when those Noreasters grazed us the barometric pressure would drop and make me chilly / achy, even indoors.

On the flip side, people up there would turn bright red and sweat profusely when it reached the mid 80s, and a few got heat exhaustion when it topped out @ 88. When it gets to those temps up there the humidity drops making the heat index 90-92, and I would barely break a sweat. So it is all relative.

But one thing I absolutely could not get used to was swimming up there- it was absolutely miserable jumping in a pool during the summer. Their definition of "heated" is way off.
Could be partly because you were back east, humidity in general and make hot places hotter and cold places colder.

One of the things I hate about swimming down here is that the pools get warm like bath water in the summer. They are generally refreshing in May, but once July comes around they are warm 24/7.

I have nothing against hot water, I'm a huge fan of hot springs and hottubs, but they are a fall/winter/spring thing or maybe in the summer at night when it dips below 75. (which it rarely does in the summer)

Different strokes for different folks.

It isn't uncommon to find people who moved from somewhere cold to Texas who prefer Texas heat. "I know a lady from Ohio/North Dakota/ Michigan who likes the heat more"

I mean, they choose to make the move after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2019, 09:17 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,896,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Could be partly because you were back east, humidity in general and make hot places hotter and cold places colder.

One of the things I hate about swimming down here is that the pools get warm like bath water in the summer. They are generally refreshing in May, but once July comes around they are warm 24/7.

I have nothing against hot water, I'm a huge fan of hot springs and hottubs, but they are a fall/winter/spring thing or maybe in the summer at night when it dips below 75. (which it rarely does in the summer)

Different strokes for different folks.

It isn't uncommon to find people who moved from somewhere cold to Texas who prefer Texas heat. "I know a lady from Ohio/North Dakota/ Michigan who likes the heat more"

I mean, they choose to make the move after all.
In Austin we have places like Barton Springs with 68 degree water in mid summer. Feels really great on a 105 degree day, you'll actually get goose bumps and want to sun tan to warm back up in the hot sun if you stay in that water for any period of time!

Old 12-11-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
In Austin we have places like Barton Springs with 68 degree water in mid summer. Feels really great on a 105 degree day, you'll actually get goose bumps and want to sun tan to warm back up in the hot sun if you stay in that water for any period of time!
That's actually an urban legend. The coolest part of the pool does say as low as 70ish during the summer. Other parts are more in the mid 70s.

That's still pretty cool considering that Texas doesn't have a lot of cool water in the summer.

Old 12-11-2019, 12:33 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,896,729 times
Quote:
That's actually an urban legend. The coolest part of the pool does say as low as 70ish during the summer. Other parts are more in the mid 70s.

That's still pretty cool considering that Texas doesn't have a lot of cool water in the summer.
Have you visited it? It is not an urban legend. The water is cold.

Old 12-11-2019, 06:39 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,261,700 times
Quote:

70ish vs 68. Tomato, tomata

Old 12-12-2019, 11:09 AM

8 posts, read 5,566 times
I'll take 3, 4, even 5 months of Texas summers up here in the Panhandle any day. Compared too the rest of Texas, summers up here is not that bad too me. The winters aren't really that bad either. I use too live in North Wisconsin and the winters there suck so bad.

Old 12-12-2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
70ish vs 68. Tomato, tomata
Yeah, but the urban legend is that it is exactly 68, which it is not.

https://www.statesman.com/news/20170...n-springs-temp

Old 12-12-2019, 01:34 PM

638 posts, read 569,180 times
Never think you know Texas heat. Texas heat will burn you trust me. To know Texas is to accept a hot climate. Way hotter than outsiders think. Never move to Texas unless you can survive heat.

Old 12-12-2019, 01:40 PM

638 posts, read 569,180 times
Dallas is very very a climate hot place. Dallas people are used to the heat. The heat is close to unbearble. Dallas people support climate protection.

Old 12-12-2019, 08:57 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
It was another gorgeous winter day here in NE Texas! Whenever I get tired of the heat in August, I remind myself of these gorgeous December days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas