Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 07:29 AM

313 posts, read 532,032 times

Advertisements

Met a girl from Waco, Texas, now living in Austin (she's here for 6 months though) and she didn't sound southern at all! I said, 'you don't have the accent', and she said it was because she was urban. I've been to Texas, but only really passed through, and didn't get a good sense of how prevalent the accent was. In Lubbock most of the teenagers at the drive-in didn't have much of a Southern/Texan accent, while one old-timer had a strong accent, and a man probably about 30 years old did a bit. In Austin I asked directions from one young man and he had a moderate Southern accent, but of course no idea where he was from. It seems most young people in the larger Texan cities (maybe under 35) have a weak or non-existent southern accent, even the smaller cities. Would you say that's true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 08:40 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,952,048 times
No, not at all, but that isn't a Texas thing. I've lived all over the South and the accents everywhere are fading.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:15 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,273,096 times
The Southern accent is not as prevalent as you are thinking. Of course you will hear it in rural areas, but even then that isn't always the case. It is possible to live in any of the big cities and never hear a southern accent. Also omit the fact that there are a LOT of different ethnicities in Texas leading to even more accents. El Paso is yet another accent. People who trace their ancestry to Acadiana are yet another distinct accent. The point is that the Southern accent is one of many in Tx.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:31 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,983,409 times
I think what you tend to hear in larger cities - and having lived there for a total of 22 years across two separate spans, Austin is what I'm most familiar with - what you tend to hear amongst more middle class and reasonably well educated persons younger than perhaps about forty is a so-called "standard" American accent with mild, inconsistent Southern-Texan notes. You might only catch these after hearing the person speak for a bit. Interestingly, you even run across this in some persons who are considerably older. Last night on the program "History Detectives" they did a story about a case of serial killing in Austin during the year 1885, and interviewed a great grand niece of one of the victims, a lady who looked to be in her 70s, who spoke with very little Southern/Texan accent -- I only heard some mild flattening of vowel sounds occasionally. I was also interested listening to Willie Nelson on a recent interview, where I heard extremely little Southern aspect to his speech. In my own experience there seemed to be a bit more distinctive accent amongst Central Texans when I lived in Austin in the early-mid 1970s than when we returned ten years after moving away the first time, and I would say it has continued to wane, even amongst persons whom I know to be natives and not transplants. We moved away in 2004 but I was last there on a visit in 2013. However, I think there is also a considerable social class and educational dimension to this. In my experience persons from backgrounds below middle class and with no more than some high school are far more likely to express a definite Southern accent.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:39 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
You're not likely to hear a Southern accent, but you might hear a Texas accent (and there are several of those - a native Texan can give a pretty good guess as to which part of Texas someone with a Texas accent is from - East Texas and West Texas, for example, are very different accents). But, yes, with TV, and its standardized accent for announcers, there is a certain sad homogenization in accents. It's positively delightful to me to hear a definite accent from someone, sort of like seeing a splash of color in an otherwise black, grey and white background.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:43 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,796,997 times
Hit the bushes - means to go to the bathroom !!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-16-2014, 10:07 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,983,409 times
IMO East Texas and Central Texas have traditionally retained more identifiable Southern aspects to the speech than is true for West Texas, which I'd say has a more peculiar (in the sense of unique) drawl that isn't really what you would think of as typically Southern. Yet at the same time, some of the natives there pick very little of that up. At least around Lubbock it tends to be a definite flattening of vowel sounds, in contrast to the twangier speech with a much softer drawl that you still find somewhat in Central Texas.

We've had this discussion before, but I would consider Texas accents to be variants of Southern speech patterns. However, it's also important to remember that almost all Americans do certain things in terms of speech that make the accent identifiably American. One of these is tending to draw out syllables or insert extra vowel syllables. I became especially aware of this when moving back from England. My initial reaction was that aspects of the Southern speech pattern were proliferating nationally, but I have subsequently realized that this is a manifestation of current American speech generally (interesting to contrast that with speech you hear in old movies). It is possible that some aspects of Southern speech have indeed proliferated, perhaps due to the assimilation of traditional, Southern-based African-American aspects of speech into the general American accent. Some accents seem to have almost died out, such as the true, old New England accent, while other accents seem more robust, such as the Upper Midwest accent so influenced by Scandanavian settlement.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:26 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
I've learned, doing genealogical research (aided by the little bit of linguistics that I took in college), that some of the things that are characterized as "Southern" speech in East Texas are, in fact, traceable back to specific counties in England (and in many cases, at least in the family lines I'm familiar with, came here not just by way of going through the South but from England to New England over to Illinois and down to Texas). It's amazing how long some of those things can linger. So, technically, we could say that the Texas accent is an English accent.

My father had a strong East Texas accent that didn't resemble a Southern accent at all. However, he made a point of correcting my pronunciation according to the dictionary, with the result that no matter where I was, including East Texas where I was born, people thought I was from somewhere else. I do tend to fall into a strong Texas accent when either stressed or when having someone on that clearly has stereotypical notions about Texas and Texans.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:36 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,790,009 times
Well, in Houston, especially amongst the blacks, the southern accent is still alive.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:10 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,908,776 times
Yes, every region has its unique Texas accent. You don't hear the Central Texas accent if you are from the area-- but, I assure you there is one, rather sweet to my ears too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas