Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 07:33 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,959,819 times

Advertisements

San Antonio also has easier traffic and a better layout in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 07:48 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,792,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
Austin has become too trendy. It's been the "it" place to be for quite some time. I could recognize it as a kid growing up in Dripping Springs. I'd gladly take San Antonio over Austin. Still right on the edge of the hill country, just as many big city amenities, a professional sports franchise (ok, UT football might as well be, but they've been down in the dumps for several years now), and I feel lots more potential/economic opportunity with the Eagle Ford booming.

Houston is just kind of "meh" to me. No doubt it's a phenomenal city and economic powerhouse in its own right. It's just too expansive for my tastes. I mean, from Kingwood to Rosenburg, Conroe to damn near Galveston Island, Katy to Baytown, it's all sprawl. The last undeveloped area anywhere near the city of Houston itself is on 90 heading out towards Crosby.
Okay so live near the core and you'll be virtually blind to all of that expansiveness.

And when you say too expansive I'm assuming you mean too big, since Houston's rate of sprawl is no worse than any other Sunbelt metro except Miami.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:07 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Okay so live near the core and you'll be virtually blind to all of that expansiveness.

And when you say too expansive I'm assuming you mean too big, since Houston's rate of sprawl is no worse than any other Sunbelt metro except Miami.
I think this post is illustrative of Houston culture-- The idea that you live near the core (which BTW is extremely expensive for a good area that's still adjacent to seediness strip mall sprawl) and you're blind to the "expansiveness". Because Houston isn't an outdoorsy city like Austin, Denver, Santa Cruz, Portland, etc. In more compact cities, the lack of sprawl and closeness of outdoors activities is a huge amenity

Old 07-23-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
I think this post is illustrative of Houston culture-- The idea that you live near the core (which BTW is extremely expensive for a good area that's still adjacent to seediness strip mall sprawl) and you're blind to the "expansiveness". Because Houston isn't an outdoorsy city like Austin, Denver, Santa Cruz, Portland, etc. In more compact cities, the lack of sprawl and closeness of outdoors activities is a huge amenity
I don't live in Houston. There's one of the holes in your logic.

And Houston is denser than Austin. He said nothing of proximity to outdoor recreation but merely alluded to the idea that Houston was too large for him. This is why I suggested living in the loop. Most of everything you need is right there and you're rarely bothered with the expanses of the rest of the metro. If you can't afford it then you can't afford it.

So yeah you make absolutely no sense.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:23 PM

4,437 posts, read 5,350,902 times
^^^Austin doesn't have sprawl???

Georgetown down to San Marcos is 51 miles of sprawl and strip centers.

Old 07-23-2014, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynetwo View Post
^^^Austin doesn't have sprawl???

Georgetown down to San Marcos is 51 miles of sprawl and strip centers.
Yeah it's funny how people tend to leave out these facts when they're so busy gushing over how awesome Austin is

Old 07-23-2014, 08:46 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,971,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post

It is silly to think that Millennials might move to San Antonio because of the Alamo, the Riverwalk, and Sea World. But they will move there if there are jobs and they can afford to live there.
It is silly to think Millennials might move to Austin because of the capital, 6th street, and Town Lake.

Old 07-23-2014, 10:32 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,504,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post
It is silly to think Millennials might move to Austin because of the capital, 6th street, and Town Lake.
My guess is Millennials are going where the preceding generations aren't. Austin and Dallas will be dominated by baby boomers for a long time to come. Baby boomers vacated San Antonio for Austin and Houston is wide open so they are gravitating to those places. In other words the path of least resistance.

Generational winds have been shaping Texas cities for a long time. Baby boomers migrated out of Houston to Austin by the groves in the late 20th century now it looks like those same winds are blowing many of their children back

This is probably happening in a lot of places though

Here is a good article from psychology Today comparing the various attitudes of three Gemerations, Baby Boomers, Gen X, and Millennials..

Why Gen-X Doesn't Get Millennials...or Boomers | Psychology Today

Old 07-24-2014, 03:12 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,599,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
This is why I suggested living in the loop. Most of everything you need is right there and you're rarely bothered with the expanses of the rest of the metro. If you can't afford it then you can't afford it.
I have no dog in this fight, but I've gotta say, this is a very good point. I grew up inside the loop (West U and Montrose), granted it was back in the 70's and early 80's before it was expensive... but we never had any reason to go outside the loop and rarely ever did. And yes, Houston was extremely 'sprawly' and vast back then as well. Everything we needed or wanted to do was pretty much all within a 2 mile radius. The burbs might as well have been on the other side of the planet.

Old 07-24-2014, 03:55 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,756,315 times
When I traveled to Texas six years ago, I enjoyed Houston and San Antonio more than Dallas and Austin, and I'm no "Millennial" either. Houston and San Antonio seemed more genuine to me, whereas Dallas and Austin seemed more snobbish, albeit in very different ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
My guess is Millennials are going where the preceding generations aren't.
I get that sense too. In Pittsburgh, there's a big schism between people over 45 and people under 45, with people under 45 generally having more positive opinion of it. Pittsburgh was the first major U.S. city to be thrown away, and it was the Baby Boomers who did it. Now the Millennials are recycling it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas