Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 01:12 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,566,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Overall, Dallas neighborhoods are prettier
Ehh.. Idk about all that. Dallas has no answer for some of Houston's nicer neighborhoods. Dallas may have more decent neighborhoods overall though. It definitely has more suburban areas than Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 01:15 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
True, but Dallas' suburbs lack character. They all look the same. From Forney to Frisco you couldn't tell a difference which one you are in at any given moment. Once barren prairie farmland that has developed into a soulless, treeless jungle of parking lots , strip malls, McMansions, big box stores, & fast food chains.

Houston's are a little bit different. You can be in the middle of a forest in one suburb, on the coast in another, or in the middle of a prairie like Dallas' out in far West Houston & Katy. There's just a greater variety of topography down in Southeast Texas vs. that of monotonous North Texas.
The urban neighborhoods I mean-- In Dallas there are more of them and they look nicer. They aren't subject to the seedy strip malls like Houston ones are.

Old 07-25-2014, 01:25 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,001,243 times
Quote:
The urban neighborhoods I mean-- In Dallas there are more of them and they look nicer. They aren't subject to the seedy strip malls like Houston ones are.
That's a load of crap.

Have you ever seen some of the seedy neighborhoods near Dallas' medical district along Harry Hines or South Dallas? Lower Greenville & East Dallas are also seedy as all get out. Even a large portion of North Dallas has gone down hill in the past couple of decades.

The difference is Dallas disperses its undesirable areas & sweeps them under the rug better than Houston does. Not that there are fewer of them in Dallas. Houston intertwines its posh areas with its lower income areas which is why people generally tolerate each other better down in Houston & the neighborhoods are more diverse. There are pros & cons to not having zoning laws. Zoning laws are actually a form of discrimination & segregation when you stop & think about it.

Dallas lacks culture because of this. None of the Koreans in Dallas actually live in its Korean Town Dallasites so often love to brag about. Its just a bunch of old strip malls & warehouses Koreans commute to from suburbs like Coppell & Carrollton. Not the case in Houston's Korean Town or Chinatowns where you'll find Chinese & other Asian people living in Asian owned apartment complexes or town homes sold/leased by Asian investors across the street & next door from the businesses they work for. There is more sense of "community" if you will.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 07-25-2014 at 01:40 PM..

Old 07-25-2014, 01:50 PM

213 posts, read 388,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
My list was not to be taken seriously....Hey that self consciousness is showing cute fat girl from Houston
Hence the reason for my references coming from fruity pebbles. It's all in good fun and no pun. Javier's on Cole is calling my name so let's go eat.

Old 07-25-2014, 01:56 PM

213 posts, read 388,755 times
Quote:
Overall, Dallas neighborhoods are prettier
Overall it's in the eye of the beholder, as far as pretty hoods are concerned.. Houston's hoods can stack up to Dallas's hoods and vice-versa.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:39 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,055,630 times
Quote:
I moved back to Houston in 2012 for a job. Sure as hell didn't mean I wanted to live there.

The people I've known who love Houston are the ones who grew up there and never left, not people who have lived in cities with higher quality of life and then moved to Houston. Preferring to have a decent job isn't the same as preferring a city.
You make no secret you hate it and downtalk to everyone who likes it. It's overkill and it's odd.

I'm not from there but thoroughly enjoyed the approx 3 years I lived in town there.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
You make no secret you hate it and downtalk to everyone who likes it. It's overkill and it's odd.

I'm not from there but thoroughly enjoyed the approx 3 years I lived in town there.
So because you liked Houston, that means millennials who move there for jobs also like it? No. Living in a city because of job opportunities and "preferring" it like this thread says are two different things. Do Millennials prefer North Dakota to Hawaii?

This is something Houstonians particularly have trouble understanding. Presence of jobs doesn't mean a city is a nice place to live with good QOL. Those are separate things.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:12 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,504,279 times
Quote:
So because you liked Houston, that means millennials who move there for jobs also like it? No. Living in a city because of job opportunities and "preferring" it like this thread says are two different things. Do Millennials prefer North Dakota to Hawaii?

This is something Houstonians particularly have trouble understanding. Presence of jobs doesn't mean a city is a nice place to live with good QOL. Those are separate things.
Actually availability of jobs is a very important part of the QOL equation. With that said there are few places if any in Texas that your average American outside of Texas would choose to live if they had the choice and that includes Austin. You compared North Dakota and Hawaii, well put any place up against Hawaii and it will probably not fare very well.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Actually availability of jobs is a very important part of the QOL equation. With that said there are few places if any in Texas that your average American outside of Texas would choose to live if they had the choice and that includes Austin. You compared North Dakota and Hawaii, well put any place up against Hawaii and it will probably not fare very well.
The point is that people are flooding into North Dakota because of jobs, but not Hawaii. Doesn't mean that people moving there *prefer* it

Old 07-25-2014, 07:18 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,504,279 times
Quote:
The point is that people are flooding into North Dakota because of jobs, but not Hawaii. Doesn't mean that people moving there *prefer* it
I understood your point explicitly , evidently you missed mine .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas