Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 11:01 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,953,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
As a CHL holder, you are REQUIRED to inform a law enforcement officer of firearms in your vehicle. To not do so would be a violation of the license.
This^^. Just keep them unloaded in your trunk or boxed up. Of course, even without a license you can keep a loaded handgun in your console/glove box for your protection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 11:02 AM

11 posts, read 13,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Just make sure they're unloaded when traveling just encase you do get pulled over. I wouldn't voluntarily offer up the information that you have firearms in your car either.
Bad idea. TX cops are firearm friendly.

Get it off your chest so they don't pick up on you emitting the "I am hiding something vibe." Could turn a 5 minute stop into a two hour ordeal.

Old 08-18-2014, 02:26 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,268,809 times
All AR's and AK's have to be deposited at my location for 48 hr inspection...disclaimer, most are lost during my many boating trips

Oh, and the only problems you're probably going to run into reporting your firearms to a Texas police officer during a routine stop and is waiting for him/her to run each firearm to make sure it's not stolen. I've had this happen a few times...I'm got issues with speed limit signs All they do is unload said firearm and call in the numbers. No biggy.

Old 08-19-2014, 02:14 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,412,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
All AR's and AK's have to be deposited at my location for 48 hr inspection...disclaimer, most are lost during my many boating trips

Oh, and the only problems you're probably going to run into reporting your firearms to a Texas police officer during a routine stop and is waiting for him/her to run each firearm to make sure it's not stolen. I've had this happen a few times...I'm got issues with speed limit signs All they do is unload said firearm and call in the numbers. No biggy.
Texas LE here. Most of the time, especially if you have a CHL, I, nor do a lot of officers even run the gun's S/N.

Usually a CHL holder is a law abiding citizen, since you kind of have to be one to obtain a CHL in the first place.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:29 AM

11 posts, read 13,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post

Never had this happen to me.

OTOH I have had them run my 4 wheelers S/Ns.

Old 08-20-2014, 03:14 AM

13 posts, read 16,663 times
Wow, thanks for all the responses everybody. It's much appreciated.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:29 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
Actually, I was advised, during my CHL class, that if you do get pulled over, show them your DL as usual and your CHL. As others have said, lets them know that you are generally a law abiding citizen. If they ask about firearms, just tell them what you have. BTW, speed limits in Texas are not restrictive as you might find in PA. 70-75 quite common. Not much reason to push it beyond that. If you do, it might cause you to stick out and then you might very well get pulled over.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:29 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,446,599 times
Just a story on LE and CHL holders. As an appraiser, the wife and I (FYI we just moved from Texas to semi-retire- life long residents) do a lot of REO properties. Went into one that had been broken into (or at least attempted a break-in). We carry whenever inspecting -just never know what you will run into. I cleared the home before the wife entered, then called the non-emergency number (yes, I was confident that the home was empty, and would have backed out quickly if not). Officer responded and in the course of the discussion, I told him I had cleared the home and was carrying. Officer just nodded. No issues. I will bet he had noted the bulge where I was carrying.

You will run into some uptight cops but they are few and far if you have your CHL and you are not being a jerk (waving a firearm around, etc).

Old 08-20-2014, 06:49 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
Only 30 guns?
Well that's a good start, and you'll have plenty of opportunity to build it up into a decent size collection.

Welcome to Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas