Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 02:02 AM

195 posts, read 333,551 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am a day-trader, and looking to relocate to Texas because it doesn't have a state income tax, and it is in the Central Time Zone. I currently live in Pasco, WA, and I have to get up quite early to day-trade because the markets open at 0630 Pacific time. I like Dallas, but I don't want to live in a big city. I want a small city. And one with trees. Most of the cities I am looking at are to the East of Dallas, such as Tyler, Mt. Pleasant, Paris, Athens. And also Corsicana, and Sherman, which are South and North. All of these cites are about 60-100 miles from Dallas. I am moving at the end of May, and I have just started looking at these cities. So any information you can give me is GREATLY appreciated.
I also prefer a place with affordable rents. I want to rent a HOUSE for me and my pets. My ideal rent for a house would be about less than $900. J. I don't need much, just a small, clean city that has grocery stores, Walmart, and restaurants. I am a single and in my 50s. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 11:19 AM

3,028 posts, read 5,082,273 times
Tyler really would meet all you needs well except 900 for a house to rent is possible but difficult. You might get a 2-2-1 or maybe a 2-2-2 in a safe area. Even 975 or 1,000 would give quite a few more options.

Tyler tops all those cities for medical, even a level 1 trauma center. Many different options for restaurants. Low to very high end shopping. Treeees, azaleas, dogwood just bloomed, one type of roses blooming all over, the next types to bloom in May and June.

It's probably not going to be as nice as you have in WA. but Tyler is nice for Texas. Older parts of town have huge oaks and 50-75 plus feet tall trees. Providing Tyler information is one of pastimes I've had for years, it's boring to others but interesting me, lol.

Email me direct if you have any other specific questions, if I don't know I will try to find out for you. Good luck !!

Old 04-18-2015, 02:53 PM

195 posts, read 333,551 times
Thanks, I was leaning toward Tyler because of the photos I saw, and also the street view on Google. I like the idea of having medical care because I am now getting to that age where one never knows. Access to medical care is the primary reason I don't want to be too isolated, and wanted to stay within 60-100 miles of Dallas. If I haive to pay a little extra in rent, so be it. Athens rent seems dirt cheap. But probably because it doesn't have an Interstate connecting it to Dallas. Do people who live in Tyler work in Dallas? I prefer not to live in a commuter town because it drives up rents.
Thank you for your input.

Old 04-18-2015, 03:53 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,816,382 times
Hello fellow day trader! I quit day trading a couple years ago after quite an amazing roller coaster to say the least. I am surprised how you are limiting yourself to $900/month rent Even with the up and downs, my friends and myself that all day traded wouldn't mind throwing down 5 digits for monthly rent if we wanted to live the bachelor life

Either way, my vote is north north north Dallas!

Old 04-18-2015, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post
Tyler really would meet all you needs well except 900 for a house to rent is possible but difficult. You might get a 2-2-1 or maybe a 2-2-2 in a safe area. Even 975 or 1,000 would give quite a few more options.

Tyler tops all those cities for medical, even a level 1 trauma center. Many different options for restaurants. Low to very high end shopping. Treeees, azaleas, dogwood just bloomed, one type of roses blooming all over, the next types to bloom in May and June.

It's probably not going to be as nice as you have in WA. but Tyler is nice for Texas. Older parts of town have huge oaks and 50-75 plus feet tall trees. Providing Tyler information is one of pastimes I've had for years, it's boring to others but interesting me, lol.

Email me direct if you have any other specific questions, if I don't know I will try to find out for you. Good luck !!
Very few commute to Dallas. Forget closer around Dallas, especially North of Dallas or Fort Worth all boom towns, even Southwest of Fort Worth. DFW faster growing area in the fasting growing area in the country, by numbers of people, no not percentages, about 150,000 growth per year. What wasn't congested soon comes congested. I travel all the way across DFW often and in particular the Northern burbs.

Just stick with Tyler and rent, if you don't like it, then just move? Sounds like a winner to me either way.

Old 04-18-2015, 05:30 PM

1,783 posts, read 2,571,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edujop View Post
Thanks, I was leaning toward Tyler because of the photos I saw, and also the street view on Google. I like the idea of having medical care because I am now getting to that age where one never knows. Access to medical care is the primary reason I don't want to be too isolated, and wanted to stay within 60-100 miles of Dallas. If I haive to pay a little extra in rent, so be it. Athens rent seems dirt cheap. But probably because it doesn't have an Interstate connecting it to Dallas. Do people who live in Tyler work in Dallas? I prefer not to live in a commuter town because it drives up rents.
Thank you for your input.
Tyler is not a commuter town to Dallas.

Old 04-18-2015, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Very few commute to Dallas. Forget closer around Dallas, especially North of Dallas or Fort Worth all boom towns, even Southwest of Fort Worth. DFW faster growing area in the fasting growing area in the country, by numbers of people, no not percentages, about 150,000 growth per year. What wasn't congested soon comes congested. I travel all the way across DFW often and in particular the Northern burbs.

Just stick with Tyler and rent, if you don't like it, then just move? Sounds like a winner to me either way.

Wow, just reread this, ouch !! Fastest growing area in the country. What wasn't congested soon becomes congested. A little better, I hope.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:37 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,166,535 times
Try Denton and Corinth. Both would be 30-45 minutes to the Metro area.

Old 04-18-2015, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Try Denton and Corinth. Both would be 30-45 minutes to the Metro area.
Denton boomtown, Corinth in line next.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:20 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,166,535 times
Quote:
Denton boomtown, Corinth in line next.
That area north of Lake Lewisville Bridge should be more affordable and close to the big city. (and have trees)

There are several older cities around Corinth that would work also, like Lake Dallas. An older home there should be workable.

But for the money he has, a 1 bedroom apartment in Lewisville might be his best bet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas