Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 11:21 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,637,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
And don't park your car in the yard.
Or do, I don't care .

Old 04-30-2015, 11:32 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mega man View Post
Well those aren't the only acts of racism that exist. I don't see why all the sarcasm is necessary. The OP asked a legitimate question. We can scoff at Texas stereotypes all we want, but they didn't come from nowhere. This state has earned the reputation it has, both good and bad.
Does this statement apply to all stereotypes or just certain ones?

Old 04-30-2015, 12:43 PM

587 posts, read 961,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Does this statement apply to all stereotypes or just certain ones?
Just some of them. The amount of truth contained in stereotypes is inversely proportional to the subject of the stereotype's position on the left's hierarchy of victimology. For example, stereotypes about gays, African-Americans, and Muslims contain no truth at all and are based on ignorance. Whereas stereotypes about White men, Christians, conservatives, and naturally, Texans, are based almost entirely on objective truth. Even when they are not true, they are still pretty much true you know.

Old 04-30-2015, 01:33 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,789,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Spare me. It's 2015 here, too.
Snark and roll your eyes all you want. That doesn't illegitimatize the OP's concerns.

If Texans are that sick of the stereotypes then we need to make the changes, and we can start by not electing a clown as governor.

Old 04-30-2015, 01:39 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,789,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midessan View Post
Just some of them. The amount of truth contained in stereotypes is inversely proportional to the subject of the stereotype's position on the left's hierarchy of victimology. For example, stereotypes about gays, African-Americans, and Muslims contain no truth at all and are based on ignorance. Whereas stereotypes about White men, Christians, conservatives, and naturally, Texans, are based almost entirely on objective truth. Even when they are not true, they are still pretty much true you know.
I'm sure you don't actually believe that. I know I don't.

Old 04-30-2015, 03:03 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,553,543 times
I don't think it's anything to scoff at. When I lived in Philadelphia, I had the prejudice that everybody in the south was white, christian, and racist.

While I wouldn't say that's true of the populace, the politics and headlines reinforce those stereotypes.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:45 PM

436 posts, read 570,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
I don't think it's anything to scoff at. When I lived in Philadelphia, I had the prejudice that everybody in the south was white, christian, and racist.

While I wouldn't say that's true of the populace, the politics and headlines reinforce those stereotypes.
Politics are rarely a representation of the people, and sadly that is more true in Texas than almost anywhere else.

Stay out of small towns in Texas and you likely never ever catch a whiff of racism that you would not encounter on the same scale in any other large city. You will also miss out on some good food.

Old 05-01-2015, 03:02 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,162,816 times
Quote:
If Texans are that sick of the stereotypes then we need to make the changes, and we can start by not electing a clown as governor.
We didn't - she lost by over 20%!

Furthermore, the current governor doesn't have anything to do with outdated stereotypes.

Old 05-01-2015, 05:47 AM

232 posts, read 360,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
We didn't - she lost by over 20%!

Furthermore, the current governor doesn't have anything to do with outdated stereotypes.
This^

Old 05-01-2015, 07:25 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Snark and roll your eyes all you want. That doesn't illegitimatize the OP's concerns.

Her concerns are borne out of ignorance and the culture of victimhood that permeates our culture.

I was born and raised here and I have never thought Texas was a particularly racist place. There are racists, bigots, homophobes, and anti-Semites everywhere. I don't think Texas has more than its fair share.

As for Greg Abbott, don't blame me for that. I have voted Democrat in every gubernatorial election in TX (that I was here for) since I turned 18.

Personally I don't care if people think TX is racist. In fact, if that prevents more people from moving here...fine with me. We're full anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas