Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 10:57 AM

6 posts, read 4,737 times

Advertisements

I genuinely didn't know what other forum to try this on but here goes:

I was laid off this past week. I work remotely and my boss just called and said we are giving you a 2-week notice that your job has been eliminated. Please ship your equipment to this address and your email/internal access will immediately be halted but your official termination day will be two weeks from today. After that date, 1-2 days after, HR will contact you with severance information.

After this conversation I started to get concerned about being contacted AFTER i was no longer an employee about severance, like once I'm not an employee they can just be like "oh well you aren't an employee, we don't owe you anything" kind of thing. Is this something I should be concerned about and if so, what should I do about it?

BTW I was indeed laid off "without cause."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2016, 10:00 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,858,186 times
Texas is an "at will" state, meaning both you and the employer can terminate the relationship at any time for any reason.

Texas law is silent on severance pay. There is no law requiring an employer to pay it.

File for unemployment ASAP.

Old 05-29-2016, 03:59 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,572,016 times
You are only owed for the unpaid time you worked and accrued but unused vacation. You aren't owed any severance pay by law

Old 05-29-2016, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
You are only owed for the unpaid time you worked and accrued but unused vacation. You aren't owed any severance pay by law
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Texas is an "at will" state, meaning both you and the employer can terminate the relationship at any time for any reason.

Texas law is silent on severance pay. There is no law requiring an employer to pay it.

File for unemployment ASAP.
Thanks, but I was told that I would get paid a severance and that HR would contact me AFTER my final day of employment. My question is if I should contact them before my final day to inquire about severance, or what? I understand they may not pay it, but would it be a bad idea to wait on them? It seems like this could be a trick, and they would call me after my final day of employment and just said you are no longer an employee and are not eligible for severance anymore. I am just not sure what protocol is here.

Also, I can't file for unemployment until I'm no longer employed, right? And I was told that I'm still officially an employee until 2 weeks after I was told I was being laid off.

Unless I was lied to, I am still an employee and am going to be paid severance. It just seems odd I wouldn't be contacted about severance details until after my official final day of employment, and that's what I'm interested in learning details about.

Old 05-29-2016, 09:49 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,285,464 times
You need to followup with HR ASAP. I have never, ever heard of severance pay being communicated after the last day of employment. It is usually communicated when the employee learns of the layoff, along with all info about benefits (i.e., what date your health insurance will go through, how to get COBRA insurance, 401k rollover info, etc).

Old 05-30-2016, 05:48 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,858,186 times
I agree. Call HR tomorrow. You will also be given a severance agreement to sign in order to receive the pay.

Old 05-30-2016, 07:17 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
I agree also. Call HR Tuesday morning.

What have you got to lose? You're already getting laid off!

By the way, nothing in your situation seems specific to Texas.

Old 05-30-2016, 01:04 PM

Thanks all, I will call on Tuesday. I do know our company is laying off a whole whole bunch of people, and I hope the shear volume is what drove them to this delayed process. Nevertheless it makes me uncomfortable, so hopefully I get this sorted out on Tuesday.

Old 05-31-2016, 07:11 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,622,212 times
One point to be careful about - some severance packages require that you 'quit' work to get the severance, thereby making you ineligible for unemployment. This doesn't sound like the case, but keep an eye on any 'severance' package strings.

Agree that it seems odd, though, to be talking packages after your official day at work.

Old 05-31-2016, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
One point to be careful about - some severance packages require that you 'quit' work to get the severance, thereby making you ineligible for unemployment. This doesn't sound like the case, but keep an eye on any 'severance' package strings.

Agree that it seems odd, though, to be talking packages after your official day at work.
Thank you. I was told today by HR, in writing, that they cannot prepare my severance package until after my final official date of employment. Soooo what exactly do I do here? I mean I guess if I have it in writing then I don't have anything to be worried about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas